I use my tone control quite a bit. Ill roll it down if I want to dull my tone and roll it up if I want more brightness.

Depending on the amp, sometimes I run the tone knob around 7 and dial in my tone. Then Ill use the tone knob as a slight treble boost for leads or whatever.

I also like rolling down the bridge all the way for Woman tone style stuff.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I never use it.

And I rarely use the volume controls for anything but cutting the guitar signal off completely either. If I want to use less gain or less treble, I walk over to the amp.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Tone knobs are just another tool. No reason not to use them. So yes I use them to vary tones as needed
I'll admit I rarely use the treble rolloff pot that's on most guitars. But by "rarely" I don't mean "not at all."

It's not really much of a tone control -- especially when there are mids and bass rolloff controls out there on some guitars (I have a mids rolloff on a Gibson L6S, for example, and some guitars have a "bass contour" control (and there's a bass rolloff on L6S reissues). Ibanez AR500s from the late '70's/early '80's had a three-band EQ that was available in active mode that was/is pretty useful. Carvin offered an active preamp with active master treble and master bass controls that actually offered a 15 dB boost and cut compared to "dimed" passive tone controls.
Only when playing clean. I set the clean channel with just enough gain to break up along with lots of treble. What I find is that the amp only distorts when there's lots of high end hitting it, and when I roll back the tone control the amp is completely clean without changing picking dynamics. Don't know if this has been anybody else's experience.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
2Crosser might give that a try actually!

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I never use it.

And I rarely use the volume controls for anything but cutting the guitar signal off completely either. If I want to use less gain or less treble, I walk over to the amp.

Well I use it a little differently. If the song needs less gain I can turn off my OD or turn off the Amps gain. However, when I'm playing I roll my volume up and down depending on what my parts are and how much breakup I want or many other aspects. Basically I use it as a dynamic control in a way. Some parts I want in fortissimo and some in piano for example. Sure rolling the volume doesn't make my guitar quiter, but it clears up the overdrive and softens the attack.
I prefer the fender greasebucket tone mod instead of a normal tone control, cuts high frequencies but doesn't sound muddy rolled back. I have this on two of my guitars, the other two have a bass cut control instead.

I use the volume control all the time, mostly when playing clean. I've installed a treble bleed for the volume on all of my guitars.
Last edited by MeTallIcA313 at Nov 13, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
I set the amp bright and use the guitar tone control to adjust the output brightness. I find this the easiest way of accommodating several different guitars to one amp.

Same here - also, I tend to find that rolling off the treble on the amp to compensate for a guitar that has excessively bright pickups just stifles the high end output that gets to the speaker and results in a lifeless and unexpressive sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I never use the tone. Recently I rewired a three pickup Gibson Black Beauty and eliminated the tone controls completely (I gave each pickup a separate volume control). Today my project is to rewire a Les Paul I stripped down (electronics) and am now ready to put back together with new pups and a Guitar Fetish 3 way active tone control that gives the guitar a separate bass, mid and treble control. 

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-Preamp-GainBassMidTreble-Our-Best-Unit_p_411.html

I never use just the tone control on my guitars. They are always wide open.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 13, 2017,
Just roll it off a little if I'm playing something out of the normal and the tone is a little bright
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
When playing arpeggio it is better to roll your tone knob to 0  and switch to neck pickup - the notes will sound clearer and warmer then
I pretty much never use it at all, but I can't bring myself to remove them! I use them a bit on bass though. Some things just need a slightly warmer sound and I prefer new coated strings so the tone control is the only way to do that
Very useful, even when playing metal. Usually I don't make drastic changes, but I will roll off some high end for leads sometimes if I want a more mellow sound. It also depends on the guitar, as some guitars (My SG, for example) are prone to spiky highs.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I find the JB to be a little "ice picky", so I use the tone to smooth it a little.
Mesa/Boogie TA-15 Head
1x12 RoxStage MiniRecto Cab Clone - Eminence CV-75
Gibson LP Future Tribute (57+/57)
Epiphone G-400 (JB/Jazz)
'02 Tagima TG-635 (Fender CS '69)
Tanglewood Sundance TW45AN
I like fender's tbx pot.

Also treble bleed mods, different size caps and some inductor mods that you can do change how effective it is and how you can use it.

Sorry for my splatter language I am tired
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just about bottom it out when I want a jazzy tone
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I just about bottom it out when I want a jazzy tone
Same here. I use it liberally on Teles to get just the right balance between no icepick and yes sparkle. On other guitars I use it less but still a bit.

Like others said, though, I only really use volume knobs to cut the signal entirely.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I like to roll it back about 10% or so when I find my tone is a little too bright other than that it is usually fully cranked. Sometimes I like to mess around with it a bit when I'm playing a little bit of blues or something.

Overall I like having the option I would definitely miss it if my guitar didn't have one.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
i use them if i'm using a brighter guitar, say a strat or a tele, especially on the bridge pickup. if i'm using humbuckers, especially if i'm playing at higher gain, i rarely use them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I ride tone and volume controls all the time to keep things interesting, especially on the Strat and Tele.  It all depends on what you are going for but my tone usually  falls somewhere between Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, and Robben Ford, so guitar tone and volume controls are my friends.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY