I have a Tanglewood acoustic guitar that I mainly use for home recording only. It sounds really good on its own but as soon as I try to place it in a mix with drums, bass, electric guitar and vocals it does not cut trough and muddies up the mix. It has a laminate cedar top. Due to availability and price, I narrowed down my choice to 2 guitars, the Yamaha FG820 and FG830. I have played both and I preferred the sound of the FG830, but I would not like to make the same mistake - I should get something that sits well in a mix. It seems that most people favour the spruce top that both guitars feature but it seems that most people use the mahogany B&S like the FG820.

Which one would you recommend?
Gab_Azz

If they have a decent return policy, you could try them both. Some stores are better than others.

With laminate B/S I would suspect them to be very similar. With tone wood solids, I would still try them both, and expect a difference. I think the convention sides with mahogany in solids, but I think the difference in lam's is largely going to be cosmetic.

Might depend more whether one was made Monday morning, or Friday morning.

But when I am shopping, I find having no preconceived ideas, or bias, can be a lot less humbling.

Let the best one (to whoever is paying, playing and listening to it) win.

Jmo.

(Pissstttt: I'm thinning my herd, so I just got this new Recording King ROS-A9M off kijiji, and it's solid mahogany 12fret ooo. as new including hang tags, and box, for $200 US.. Not saying it sounds better than those FG's but I bet it's different. Check one out if a chance presents itself. I'm a Yamaha fan too.)
Last edited by Blind Dog at Nov 12, 2017,
Quote by Blind Dog
Gab_Azz

If they have a decent return policy, you could try them both. Some stores are better than others.

With laminate B/S I would suspect them to be very similar. With tone wood solids, I would still try them both, and expect a difference. I think the convention sides with mahogany in solids, but I think the difference in lam's is largely going to be cosmetic.

Might depend more whether one was made Monday morning, or Friday morning.

Jmo.

I actually tried both in the stores, The 820 with mahogany B&S pushed significantly more mids than the other one. The 830 sounded scooped and with more bass and top end. I compared the difference  to a Vox and a Fender amp.  I do not think they would allow me to take it home and try it as then they would not be able to sell it as new if it gets out of the store.

Maybe the difference is not the wood but the actual 2 different guitars. I would be buying either of these 2 actual guitars, so the difference in tone would be what  I would actually get.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Nov 12, 2017,
Gab_Azz

How the guitar is mic'd, and how it's being mixed in might also be the mud culprit.

Have you asked about their return policy? Some are no worries, and others have restocking fees, but few are no returns. A restocking fee sounds harsh, but it's a long-term purchase. If a new FG doesn't solve your problem ...
Quote by Blind Dog
Gab_Azz

How the guitar is mic'd, and how it's being mixed in might also be the mud culprit.

Have you asked about their return policy? Some are no worries, and others have restocking fees, but few are no returns. A restocking fee sounds harsh, but it's a long-term purchase. If a new FG doesn't solve your problem ...

I have tried several ways of recording it. From X/Y to spaced pair. I tried using SM57s using sE X1 LDC and Oktava MK012 SDC. The best I got was with 1 mic recording twice and panning to either side. The SM57 seems to get a bit better presence lift but overall still preferred the Oktava. I place it either at the lower of the body (where some guitars have the cutaway since mind does not) or at the whereabouts of the 12th fret. 

I may not have the best skill at mixing.

A quick video of me using most of my mics. Not mixed.
Def' don't have unrealistic expectations there. Thought I would ask, in case you were using a costco karaoke unit, and JVC cassette deck. or an entry level usb deal. Nice set up & video. Thx.

Thirty years ago I liked 57's on acoustics, and 58's or Beyer 500's on vocals -- depending on breath & timbre. I have minimal experience with newer mic's. A gifted sound man I worked with B. Fraser taught me. "The cigar shaped one goes on the guitar, and the ice cream shaped one goes on the singer." Worked for me. Tried my hand at mixing, but I wasn't gifted. At least I could figure that out. I was good at helping bands understand why you pay a real sound man.

I see you're from Malta so apologies for assuming return policies, and availability. I'm sure they're not what we're used to here.

Good luck with your guitar choice, and I'll enjoy following your Youtube posts!

EDIT: crap I guess it was forty years ago ... a long time for gear to stay relevant.
Last edited by Blind Dog at Nov 12, 2017,
Blind Dog thank you! Actually local shops have come a long way compared  to 10 years ago. But I am not sure if they do restock products.

I am not expecting to get a better guitar that mixes itself but if I send it to someone else to mix it I should at least record decent tracks.