I know different guitars are built for different types of music. (Flamenco , Classical, Etc.)
Does fretboard radius affect picking? I am asking about the curve of the fretboard, not the curve or thickness of the neck.
On a flat fretboard, the string height would be even or almost even, whereas on a curved radius, the string height would be lower as you descend.
Does this affect the speed i can pick notes? Is this why shredders prefer flat radius?
Should i have curved radius for rhythm and preferably flat radius for fast scale runs?
I think it effects strumming much more than picking.
Shredders may like a flatter radius because it allows greater bends without choking out.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Smaller fret board radius results in curvier necks. This means you have to change your picking angle as you move down the neck. I don't think this is a deal breaker, but this is probably the only disadvantage you have when you're paying at lightning speeds.

Bends can be difficult. They can die out if you bend too high.

The problem would arise only if you keep switching, or you aren't used to playing in a smaller radius. One good example of a person who plays really thick necks with a small radius is Eric Johnson. I needn't give any introductions about his playing ability.
music.chet.hanI am trying to discipher if a curved fretboard dictates the way you pick. I know Eric Johnson uses a lot of downward picking ( changing string on a downstroke) Michael Angelo Batio could change on downstroke or upstroke. Nowadays I have heard him say he has practiced more downstroke.
Many Flamenco players uses mostly downstroke because it accentuates notes with a higher volume, I think Flamenco guitars have a flat fretboard.

Joe Bonamassa shreds on Gibsons, yet on his acoustic concert he mostly focused on strumming. I didn't see those fast scale runs i like.

Yngwie can shred on both electric and acoustic. It would be nice to know if in addition to scalloped neck , he has a flat fretboard on all his guitars
music.chet.han"The problem would arise if you keep switching".
I own a classical, a Dean acoustic electric and an electric guitar. Practice, constantly switching from one to another.
Is this hindering my picking due to different picking angles required for different guitars?
music.chet.hanOkay, so Eric Johnson has his guitar and a certain radius and setup. Lets say he has had this since his early days. His setup influenced the way he picks ( downward or bounce etc.) or the other way around, his picking style will dictate his setup.
But lets say we give him another guitar with a totally different setup. I' m not saying he wont be able to play something, but will he play what the guitar is offering him. Will he have to change his picking technique or change the setup in order to execute with his full picking arsenal?
It doesn't affect picking in a meaningful way, though some people may look to it as a clutch. I have flat fretboard guitars (94 Jem7V and 2017 Jem 777) and I have fairly curved fretboard guitars (fender strats) of the vintage variety and honestly it makes no difference to me at all, what affects more how fast you can play is the setup of the guitar, the action and to a lesser extent the string guage. Of course neck thickness will have some effect but that comes down to preference, I personally don't feel any difference in speed if I'm playing a vintage neck or a modern flat thin neck/board.

Like it's all down to preference, you're going to hit brick walls in your technique long before you hit brick walls in minor guitar design elements.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
alejandrtrejo

I'm very glad to see that you're very well informed and thorough with your research. I'm going to reply to all of your messages here.

Eric Johnson uses a Les Paul at times too. That's also something to consider.

Maybe it's a matter of taste. Sometimes we can forget that shredding is actually one of the techniques that guitarists use. Maybe, Bonamassa might not shred on the acoustic because he doesn't want to. I could be wrong about that.

Considering how you spend switch very often, your technique will be refined in a way that this won't be a problem. This would be my assumption.

Bottom line, it might not be a very big problem to you, as long as you put hard work into developing your technique. Being mindful and conscious of your technique might help. I found that useful to break a 110bpm barrier that I was stuck in for years.
Bigbazz Amen to that. If you find yourself playing someone else's guitar , you'd be in hot soup if this were true. But mostly it's possible to play well to a reasonable degree on most guitars.