Hey guys,

So the Flying V has been a guitar that I've fancied for as long as I can remember, but I always wondered why it was never a big a deal as say a Les Paul or whatever. Its also it and the explorer are considerably cheaper than average Les Pauls. Does anyone know any drawbacks or limitations to the guitar? Or why not many artists use it?

Cheers!
They're relatively big and cumbersome and the shape wasn't as appealing to people. You have to remember the V and the Explorer were introduced in the late 50s and were discontinued pretty much the same year because of it. They only became relatively popular later with heavier music for the most part. Vs and Explorers are also cheaper because they have less fancy appointments than a regular LP Standard. LP standards have a fancy maple top, fancier inlays and binding etc... Compare a Studio to a V or Explorer and you'll see that with a similar spec and layout they're relatively close to each other in price. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KareemMonzer
H4T3BR33D3R Thats really interesting, and how would you rate their tonal quality? Can they achieve sounds that a Les Paul or any other guitar cant?

They sound fine. Most guitars sound fine, it depends on how you use them. They can do anything any other humbucker loaded guitar can do.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KareemMonzer
H4T3BR33D3R Thanks for the reply man, how would you rate the current 2018 model against the 2017 HP model?

I dont know. I havent tried either. I dont imagine them being different very much.

Try them out yourself and see what you prefer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
On the plus side, they don't fall over easily when leaned against a wall.

On the negative side, there are limited playing positions when seated.
If there is a drawback to the Flying V design, it is that it is almost strictly a stage guitar.  It wasn't meant to be played sitting down, although some people seem to manage with it.  The originals had a strip of pebbled rubber along the bottom edge of the lower wing to help keep the guitar from sliding off of the player's leg, but I don't know how effective it was.

Beyond that, there is nothing wrong with the design.  You are essentially talking about an all-mahogany guitar with a pair of humbuckers, and in the case of the original, a string-through-the-body tailpiece to increase sustain.  It is an arrangement that has worked for a great many guitar designs.  Some players also like the fact that the design offers complete access to the fretboard, which is certainly helpful when playing in the higher register.

Guitarists of all genres have used the Flying V or one of its knock-offs, so it must have some positive qualities going for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Beyond that, there is nothing wrong with the design.  You are essentially talking about an all-mahogany guitar with a pair of humbuckers, and in the case of the original, a string-through-the-body tailpiece to increase sustain.  

The marketing department doesn't always tell the truth. I think it's more likely that manufacturers began spouting that as a way of turning the perception of a technique in guitar building that makes them cheaper to make into a positive one.
Guitarists of all genres have used the Flying V or one of its knock-offs, so it must have some positive qualities going for it.

Yeah, being badass.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 3, 2017,
The Flying V was designed to provide Gibson with some "modern" looking guitars in the '50's. "Rocket" and jet fins were popular on cars, so zoomy guitars were considered cool as well. Except that mostly no one bought them.

They're longer than most guitars, which makes them cumbersome at times. Not your first choice on a crowded stage. Some university once did a study that suggested that the extra "points" somehow affected the sound on pointy guitars (including the V), but I don't remember what, exactly, the results were. They sound fine (mine is a neck-through with a three-piece maple neck and mahogany wings with facings, on front and back, of maple burl. Very '70's). When I found mine (used) I removed the Duncan Invaders almost immediately and replaced them with Tom Andersons. Since then it's sounded great.
I don't think there's any real drawbacks except the afore mentioned "playing while sitting" issues. Tonally, there's not much difference. They may not sustain quite as long as the thick slabs of wood they make Les Pauls from (and that could be debated all day), but they sound as good as anything else.
I'm an Explorer junkie myself, and I can tell you that you will have to be a lot more aware of your surroundings when playing around others. You WILL hit someone or something more than once.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by dspellman

They're longer than most guitars, which makes them cumbersome at times. Not your first choice on a crowded stage.

Yeah agreed, that's very noticeable if you're not used to them. And I don't like sitting with them (I don't like classical position).

However the badass thing T00DEEPBLUE mentioned compensates for those
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a 1968 Gibson V in the mid 70's but I traded it on a Gibson ES335 (plus monry) because I was offered a full time job playing in a lounge band 4-5 nights a week and the V was not considered visually applicable to the kind of band I was joining. The V had an excellent sound but was also very cumbersome and was not well balanced. It did have a great rock sound, just not as versatile as I needed for my new band. The Flying V was (as FatalGer said), a stage guitar. A unique shape that appeals to a select audience. Great sound with limited appeal visually. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 5, 2017,
I love my V. The problem is the shape. If you plan on home playing sitting down you should be comfortable in the classical position. There is no other way to sit with it. It is a icon of heavy metal because it just doesn't look good with any other style. I remember watching a Lonnie Mack video where he played his modified Flying V and just thinking to myself;That just looks wrong! LOL! Tone wise I can't really say that there is much difference between my V and a LP. I actually prefer the V's sound characteristics. The neck is similar to a LP apart from the head stock shape and it doesn't quite weigh a ton like the LP. Depending on which model you plan on buying the cable jack can be a bit awkward but that can be overcome. In short: I would sell any of my other guitars but I would definitely keep my V!
Quote by Werner232
I love my V. The problem is the shape.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Flying V's are highkey some of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen, and that's all I can contribute to this forum.
Quote by Rickholly74
I had a 1968 Gibson V in the mid 70's but I traded it on a Gibson ES335 (plus monry) because I was offered a full time job playing in a lounge band 4-5 nights a week and the V was not considered visually applicable to the kind of band I was joining.

The most recent time a bandleader wanted me to have a guitar that wasn't already in my stack was about nine years ago, when one told me I had to have a "Gibson Les Paul, not one of those foreign copies." He was pretty old-school, and came from an era when everyone had to have the same outfit as well. There were so many modifications I wanted to do on that guitar that it cost me nearly $1500 just for the changes, so I commissioned a cheaper Korean guitar to try them out. As it turned out, both guitars arrived on the same day, both went into the shop at the same time. Since I usually showed up at the rehearsals with the non-Gibson, the bandleader asked about it. I told him it was an expensive custom, worth far more than the Gibson. He eventually decided he liked that one better.

The V just polarizes people who see it...
Back in 1983, I bought a 1971 Gibson Medallion Series Flying V with Les Paul Custom block inlays and replaced the stock tailpiece with a Schaller tailpiece with fine tuners.
The guitar has been to all lower 48 states six Canadian provinces with no issues. I put in Schaller actives because they weren't as compressed sounding like EMG Pickups.
I actually think the V shape was made to be played in sitting position.
Quote by JustRooster
You're only allowed to play "the br00tz" on a V I heard.

Negative!  May I present the legendary Blues guitarist Albert King!

He rocked a Flying V since the day after they hit the market!
Quote by gcorzinestude1
Flying V's are highkey some of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen, and that's all I can contribute to this forum.

Be careful that the door doesn't hit your ass
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dspellman

The V just polarizes people who see it...

This sums it all up. It's not just Flying V's that suffer from this but a lot of guitars that are visually designed to represent a more "metal" kind of genre will just generate this attitude before the first note is played. It almost doesn't matter that the guitar is capable of sounding good in a lot of genres, right or wrong the shape and visual style of some guitars says something to an audience.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by JustRooster
FatalGear41

It was a joke...

Nah, you were just channeling this guy!

Quote by gcorzinestude1
T00DEEPBLUE Awh, I'm sorry./ Did I get you butthurt over an opinion? Sorry buddy, I'm human, I can have opinions.

I never said I cared. I said if that's all you have to contribute to this forum, then fine. Go. No advertisement necessary.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Obviously you do care, as most of your guitars are V's, also, you wouldn't randomly comment on another pointless comment, if you didn't care. lol. 
Quote by gcorzinestude1
T00DEEPBLUE Obviously you do care, as most of your guitars are V's, also, you wouldn't randomly comment on another pointless comment, if you didn't care. lol. 

Of my 11 guitars, 2 are V's. That's not most of them.

So you're admitting that your comment was pointless? I agree thanks for playing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Of course it was, but you getting butthurt was also pointless lmao. Like, is it your job to go around on a pointless thread on a pointless guitar website and nazi other people for the pointless comments? As a matter of fact, does anything on this planet really have a point? lmao get off me. 
Quote by gcorzinestude1
T00DEEPBLUE Of course it was, but you getting butthurt was also pointless lmao. Like, is it your job to go around on a pointless thread on a pointless guitar website and nazi other people for the pointless comments? As a matter of fact, does anything on this planet really have a point? lmao get off me. 

I wasn't even trying to get you mad but somehow I did lol.

as I've said, If you think UG is pointless then you can leave. Nobody is going to stop you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The drawback I've experienced is that the body's shape at the heel makes it kind of hard to quickly get to the very top frets. It's no huge issue if you're a rhythm guitar player or if you tend to play with lots of open strings, but if you're a crazy shredder or love those John Petrucci arpeggios, it could get obtrusive pretty quick.
No matter how much reverb you use, some singers are just BAD.
I never play V's though. I have a really nice Gibson Gothic V that I bought five years ago and probably have not played it more than a few hours since then. Makes me want to pull it out. I have had other V's that have come and gone, the gibby isn't going anywhere but I don't bond with them.

I just posted this in another thread and figured I would link it over
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/