Page 1 of 27
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.
2,971 IQ
We figured out how to say it. Stop telling me!

Also, what album should I get first? Takk? I had it in my hands today, and didn't buy it. I might later...
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at May 6, 2006,
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
I say it "Sigger Roas" (like roast minus the "t")

As for albums, the only one I own is Takk...., so I'll recommend that, but I can't really compare it to any others. It's very good though.
IsThereLoveInSp
A Monday Morning Lunatic
1,839 IQ
Deffinately get Ágætis Byrjun first.

and you say it 'si-ur rose' (the i is like the i in "hit". "rose" is said very quickly)
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
ghettohippygrrl
904 IQ
I thought it was Sig-or Roes

Buy Mogwai instead. I'm kidding. I don't listen to them, I dunno.
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time. --Alfred E. Wiggam
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
buy agætis byrjun first!!! can't say that enough. the other albums are good, but disappointing standing next agætis byrjun.

and from the sigur ros website, it's "si-ur rose" (the i is like the i in "hit". "rose" is said very quickly) (as someone else pointed out)

a side note, i saw them live last week and can honestly say that years of built up expectations couldn't have prepared me for how amazing it was.
Last edited by starsnostars at Apr 23, 2006,
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
I bought Agaetis Byrjun first and it was alright...but then I bought ( ) and I preferred it endless amounts. It was just a bit more bleak, I think. It sounded that way to me, anyway. The first three tracks and then number 6 are outstanding.
Andrewbiles
11,176 IQ
Someone on here once said they were pronounced Sig-Urgh Rose, but personally I stick to sig-ur ross, it's easiest and most people will understand.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
bobjewell87
Cause = time
874 IQ
anything else think it's slightly strange that these guys are signed to geffen records of all labels?
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
I say Sci-Grrr Ross. I'm probably retarded tho.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Nefro
43 IQ
I believe its Si-gur Ro

The s is silent.
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
IsThereLove has it.

j'adore ( ) and Takk... and Agaetis Byrjun.

i saw them in early february.
i could never describe the level at which my breath was taken away. it would do them no justice.
Andrewbiles
11,176 IQ
^ It almost sounds like 'say-good ross'.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
Quote by bobjewell87
anything else think it's slightly strange that these guys are signed to geffen records of all labels?

they signed over for takk. probably going to end up being the worst decisions they ever make. but if trying to get the new album out to the masses was why they did so, then that proved successful. their fan base is huge and growing thanks to takk.

...even if it's their worst album
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
^ "a more popular (and incorrect) variation in the English-speaking world is 'sigger ross'"
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
We don't have one person in this forum from Iceland to settle this debate? And of course Agaetis Byrjun is the right album to get first. It means "a good start." Track 2 (I'm not going to bother butchering the names) is one of the most gorgeous soundscapes ever committed to a recording medium.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer
225 IQ
^^^ yeah I think that's right...

si-oor rose rocks!
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Andrewbiles
11,176 IQ
Quote by Dirk Gently
We don't have one person in this forum from Iceland to settle this debate? And of course Agaetis Byrjun is the right album to get first. It means "a good start." Track 2 (I'm not going to bother butchering the names) is one of the most gorgeous soundscapes ever committed to a recording medium.

IronBeard left a link with audio clips on the last page...

RateYourMusic
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
I started with Takk, then Agaetis Byrjun, then ().

I find Takk is the most accessible. And Glosóli is a beautifil song.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Mattskas
UG's Mellow Fellow
43 IQ
Does anyone know if the Manchester gig is sold out yet? Its this month so im guessing it will be ...but I can always hope...
"You gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" -Mr Blonde

My dmusic site
Talmir
831 IQ
I´m icelandic and the correct way to say it is like in the audioclip in the link on page 1 but the two words are said as one.. None of the letters are silent, remember that... In icelandic it is extremely rare to write down a letter that is not audible when said outloud.
musicftm
459 IQ
sigur ros is really amazing... i just have gotten into them. the only complaint by me is that their songs sometimes have the same mood.
Mattskas
UG's Mellow Fellow
43 IQ
Can't even remember what direction this thread was taking, but Im steering it back to Sigur Ros live in concert again. I just got home from seeing them play in Manchester. Words can't even begin to address how good they were. To sum up though, the best gig I'll ever see. Ever.

EDIT: In fact no. Its not even justice to call it a 'gig'... more of an 'experience'. They got a huge standing ovation at the end. Awesome.

Sorry for hijacking the thread again... my bad
"You gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" -Mr Blonde

My dmusic site
xdespairfactor
UG Addict
814 IQ
i saw them at madisons quare garden last month.

SO GOOD.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone
nearvana
25 IQ
I would like to see them. I just missed getting tix. I screwed up and found out late that they were going to be at a nearby venue. OOOOOOOOOOOPS. Oh well.... I will see Mogwai at least!
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
^i've got tickets to see mogwai a week before i see sigur ros

i saw them last month as well, i think i said that somewhere in this thread. anyway, that show is the whole reason i am flying to chicago to see them again. it was that good.
nearvana
25 IQ
Quote by starsnostars
^i've got tickets to see mogwai a week before i see sigur ros

i saw them last month as well, i think i said that somewhere in this thread. anyway, that show is the whole reason i am flying to chicago to see them again. it was that good.

Ya, rub my nose in it why doncha?

I probably would have had tix if I didn't find out a week after the tix went on sale. I just knew about Mogwai being in town. Geez, they're within a week apart, too. Sigur Ros will be performing on a Sat. in T.O. too which would have made it convenient!

Oh well. Hopefully, next time. But, do you know that for Sigur Ros, there are an abundance of scalpers charging into the 100s of dollars?!? What B.S. I hope the members of Sigur Ros find about this if they don't already. I would be peeved! As much as I like them, I'm not going to give some scum who doesn't care about the band double or triple the cost of the tix. In addition, I think Mogwai is better anyway as admittingly, most of Sigur Ros' songs do sound too similar for paying over 200 bucks. Imho, of course. Now, I have automatic msgs go to my mail box if any of those groups have concert dates in my area. A bit late but I'll catch them sometime so they better return!
Last edited by nearvana at Mar 28, 2006,
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
they are an experience live.

i was honored to see them in february and am infinitely honored to see them again in may.
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
the g isn't pronounced... but anyway,.. I saw their show last night... **dies in a complete euphoria*, it was incredible,... the music completely overpowered me and I don't think I'll get over it anytime soon. It was as beautiful as music gets

edit: i only just saw 'i strum i drum' 's post, and yes it is an experience to see them live... one like no other. I mean I listen to music almost non-stop, all the different sorts, and still I just couldn't believe what it was doing to me.. It just took me over completely...

for more info, look up www.wikipedia.com, loads of info on them

"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Apr 12, 2006,
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
hellloo... its totally si-or-ross. means victory rose. if you don't believe me look the prononciation on the internet somewhere you're bound to discover something.

here is an actual person saying it for those of you who are still confused

http://download.sigur-ros.co.uk/sigur.mp3
music...

get your head out from those mags
and websites who try to shape your style
take a risk just for yourself
and wade into the deep end of the ocean
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
sorry i forgot that you own the forum and i'm not allowed to give any input
music...