Page 1 of 2
I've learned a Stephen Stills song called Treetop Flyer, and I'm really liking the tuning he uses. Can anyone suggest some other folksy songs in DADGAD?
F.Y.I. that tuning is called open G minor.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Lithium by Nirvana i believe
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I've listened to the stuff suggested so far, and while there are some great songs, I'm looking for something a bit more folksy.

If anyone could give some more suggestions, that'd be great =)
Quote by psychodelia
^ Traditional Celtic not folksy enough for ya?

Well, I guess I'm looking for a more bluesy... folksy... folk song...

I guess the best way to describe the general style of song I want is to listen to "Treetop Flyer", but I don't expect everyone who suggests music here to do that =)
It's a pity, I used to know of more artists who used this tuning... maybe I can find them by tomorrow.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Pepino D'Agostino, "acoustic spirit" and "echo of delphi valley" are great songs in dadgad.

trace bundy does a cool version of "Canon in D" and a song called "Dueling Ninjas" in it.
Open tunings are usually used with slides. Old delta blues stuff would normally use a slide. check ou stuff by Son House, Charley Patton, Robert Johnson and so on. You can't get any more folk-blues than acoustic delta blues.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by Guitarplaya27
Lithium by Nirvana i believe

Nope, but I think there are a couple of songs tuned like that on In Utero, not positive though.
a few good neil young songs use that tuning. i like to play "natural beauty" and "war of man" in that tuning. try them!
^ I think that's DADGBD.... the tuning in the thread is DADGAD. But since it's only a difference on one string he could try it by tuning the high A up to a B.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
My favorite song to play on an acoustic, in DADGAD, would of course have to be.....WHITE SUMMER/BLACK MOUNTAIN SIDE! I learned it in 8th grade and I'ts a good way to get people riled up.
Learn it!
it's so damn fun.

--zach
Quote by ufossuck

I don't think so.... G minor is G, Bb and D.

D, A, G is Dsus4. I've heard people call it drop dsus4, but it's open Dsus4.... I believe. I've been wrong before
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by runkidrun06
Soggy Bottom Boys - Man of Constant Sorrow (LOL)

i dont care what anyone says, thats a cool ass song.
my favorite movie too
PM me for
Midnight Rider by the Allman Brothers Band. It can be played in standard but doesn't sound as good. not that D is only fretting the second string on the third fret and third string on the second fret. If you are dyslexic and read that the song won't sound right.
alot of zeppelin acoutsic.. corrert me if im wrong but "thats the way" and "bron ur oul stamp" are in that tunin..

this i was never arsed learnin the proper versions, just got guitar pro tabs and re-whatever with them to fix the tuning to eadgbe
Quote by ufossuck

No it's not, you say DAD GAD.

Lots of celtic stuff. I prefer Low C, which is close to it, but You tune the two lowest strings a step down
indeed
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
OLD THREAD IS OLD!

Quote by poochy
I don't think so.... G minor is G, Bb and D.

D, A, G is Dsus4. I've heard people call it drop dsus4, but it's open Dsus4.... I believe. I've been wrong before

Yes, I do believe that it can be called "Open Dsus4", because when you strum the guitar open...it plays a Dsus4 Chord
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
These Muddy Waters songs are in open G - I can't be satisfied, I feel like going home and Rollin' and Tumblin'
^DADGAD is not open G^

Anything else to add to the list? I just tuned my guitar to play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J00GnX8TTR4&NR=1

I'd be quite interested in more of the same stuff. I'll look through the 'Tradiitional Celtic' stuff, but more specific example would also be appreciated.

EDIT:
Ah crap, the thing I'm learning is in DGDGAD.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 14, 2009,
'Drifting' by Andy Mckee Freakin great tune, check it out on youtube first, I learned it with a tutorial vid, but to each his own
Page 1 of 2