Page 1 of 2
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
I searched it and it came out on few unconnected posts(e.g. your favorite singer...).
So I decided to open official thread.
Discuss.

BTW, what's yours favorite Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album. I doubt between Henry's Dream and Murder Ballads.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
frippogenics
Behind That Locked Door
503 IQ
I got "Tender Prey" out of curiosity, I had no idea what they sounded like before hand. I think "The Mercy Seat" is a really cool song. Most of the rest from what I remember just came off as REALLY lame, like something you'd hear out of a B-movie or a Halloween special. No offense to fans though, I just couldn't get into them.
Last edited by frippogenics at Jun 13, 2007,
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
Hmm, my favourite is probably Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus. It's between that and Tender Prey.

What do you guys think of his new band: Grinderman?
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Quote by frippogenics
I got "Tender Prey" out of curiosity, I had no idea what they sounded like before hand. I think "The Mercy Seat" is a really cool song. Most of the rest from what I remember just came off as REALLY lame, like something you'd hear out of a B-movie or a Halloween special. No offense to fans though, I just couldn't get into them.

Listen to Henry Lee, Red Right Hand (pay attention to lyrics), actually whole Murder Ballads, or if you want his theme-easier stuff listen Into My Arms.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member
954 IQ
I've known about these guys for a while, but only just realised how good some of their **** is. I just listened to Mercy Seat four times, god damn that song is awesome.

Red Right Hand, Up Jumped The Devil, Weeping Song and other ones like that are good aswell, but I can't stand his happy songs and his love songs. That song that goes 'Come sail your ships around me' is horrible IMO.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
I love Nick Cave, in a non-sexual way of course. So many good albums and songs, but still, so many I yet have.

'Murder ballads' is the obvious choice for favourite album, and his version of 'Stagger Lee' for best track, but I do prefer the Live at Brixton version of the track. Just watching a live performance of it on DVD shows and gives it the extra power.

If I were to pick anything by him I'd go with the 'Mutiny' EP when he was with The Birthday Party. But an underrated favourite of mine is the 'Kicking against the pricks' cover album.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
13thFloorStairs
Banned
56 IQ
his cover of hallelujah is the superiour version.

i get all soggy eyed when i hear it.
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Video of Henry Lee is teh sex!
You can feel the attraction between Nick and PJ.
Also, find What a Wonderful World sung by stoned Nick and guy from Pogues. It's Hilarious.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser
904 IQ
i've been getting into him lately. not something i can listen to all the time but it's pretty intense. and then i saw grinderman on letterman and now i have to get that album.
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Yeah, grinderman stuff is pretty different and noisy but cool.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
DanRev
Boom/Bap?
129 IQ
I used to have some albums somewhere but they have gone missing.

I also like his waltz cover of disco 2000 by Pulp.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
I'm not a huge fan of the Grinderman album. It's got some worth in some of the tracks, but as a whole it didn't do much for me unfortunately.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
Man I can't believe this is the only Nick Cave thread and there's only 1 page.

I ****ing love Nick Cave in every band he's been in. The Bad Seeds are a great vehicle for his lyrics and all really talented musicians but The Birthday Party and Grinderman are the side of Nick Cave I think I like most.. Just that noisy punky dirty music with Nick howling these totally straightforward but still deep, dark lyrics.

I dunno, I'm really a huge fan of Nick's so I love all his stuff anyway.

Favourite Bad Seeds songs are probably As I Sat Sadly By Her Side and O'Malleys Bar, pretty much the whole Murder Ballads album..
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Man I can't believe this is the only Nick Cave thread and there's only 1 page.

I ****ing love Nick Cave in every band he's been in. The Bad Seeds are a great vehicle for his lyrics and all really talented musicians but The Birthday Party and Grinderman are the side of Nick Cave I think I like most.. Just that noisy punky dirty music with Nick howling these totally straightforward but still deep, dark lyrics.

I dunno, I'm really a huge fan of Nick's so I love all his stuff anyway.

Favourite Bad Seeds songs are probably As I Sat Sadly By Her Side and O'Malleys Bar, pretty much the whole Murder Ballads album..

You're my man.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Lateralus17
Banned
70 IQ
Weeping Song is brilliant.

There are a few other songs I enjoy but I can't be bothered to find them through my brother's collection of Nick Cave albums again.
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Nick Cave is the man. I liked the Grinderman album, but it ain't no Bad Seeds or The Birthday Party.

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, Tender Prey and Murder Ballads are my favourites, but I'm a fan of pretty much everything I have by them/him.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Phillipa C.
43 IQ
Nick Cave is a legend, an absolute music legend. One of the finest lyricists of the last 30 years and The Bad Seeds are an amazing live band. "Let Love In" and "From Her To Eternity" are my favourite records.
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Quote by Caustic
Nick Cave is the man. I liked the Grinderman album, but it ain't no Bad Seeds or The Birthday Party.

Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, Tender Prey and Murder Ballads are my favourites, but I'm a fan of pretty much everything I have by them/him.

It ain't, but I would be disappointed if it was Bad Seeds or TBP.
Did anybody heard Mick Harvey's solo work or Dirty Three. Would I, as a big Nick Cave fan, like it?
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Guillemot
10 IQ
The Boatman's Call is my favorite Nick Cave album.
RHCP94
So hood rich
591 IQ
Murder Ballads is a great album. "Stagger Lee" is hilarious, in a really dark way.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
^ The best version of that song for sure is by Nick Cave, love it.
Not so sure whether I'm looking forward to 'Dig lazarus dig' yet. Was really disappointed by the Grinderman record and don't want to feel the same way again with this one, so half expecting it to be a tad crap. Want him to do another film though, 'The proposition' was amazing.

RateYourMusic
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor
1,081 IQ
I dunno I found The Proposition a bit boring. It was really well made and everything, just not really my cup of tea. I was expecting "O'malleys Bar" but in film formation.. Now THAT would've been cool.

I love the Grinderman album, there's loads of awesome songs on there.
Hendrix_fan_14
What?
936 IQ
Let love in is awesome.

Red Right Hand and loverman are my favourites off that.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Just got 'Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!'. Right after some lunch this is going to be played at full blast as no one else is at home to complain about it. Can't wait.

RateYourMusic
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
Just got 'Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!'. Right after some lunch this is going to be played at full blast as no one else is at home to complain about it. Can't wait.

I like this ''garage'' sound... I love Nick!

There are some great songs on here... Just don't like Today's Lesson...
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Yeah, definitely some great tracks on it. Only managed to listen to it once and a bit so far and tracks 8 ('lie down here (& be my girl)') and 10 ('midnight man') stood out, but going to have to listen to it a couple more times this weekend.
It didn't seem as moody as I like their stuff. It had the repetitive music which is typical and always great to hear, but its never going to be my favourite from them.

Feel a bit ripped off with the 58 page book that cost an extra £2, all it is is the lyrics. Would've been nice to have it a bit less space and costing £1 less, but oh well.

RateYourMusic
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Its not their best but one worth owning.

RateYourMusic
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Well, it's obvious he took a lot from Grinderman. I was expecting a more Bad Seeds album with some Grinderman in it... But it looks like it's other way around.

Albert Goes West almost sounds like a Husker Du/Dinosaur Jr song.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
I don't know, it still has a very Bad Seeds feel to the album and fortunately it isn't anywhere near as bad as that Grinderman album was.

RateYourMusic
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
I don't know, it still has a very Bad Seeds feel to the album and fortunately it isn't anywhere near as bad as that Grinderman album was.

I liked some Grinderman.

But now after I listened Dig Lazarus Dig a few more times I understand it's good Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album.

I just really can't stand that Today's Lesson.
That ''... have real good time...'' part irritates me so much.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Phillipa C.
43 IQ
I'm loving this album!! I've only had it for a few days but already it's got the feel of a classic Bad Seeds records.

Geez he's been on a roll lately. Everything since (and including) Nocturama has been excellent in my book.
See.....big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses, BIG sunglasses
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
^ You liked 'Nocturama'?
Can't stand that album. There have only been two since that though haven't there? Well, the last one was the double album, but still got to count it as one.

DarTHie: I really like that part, can't help but sing along to it much like the opening few lines of the album. There are more hooks on this album than I've noticed on any other good Nick Cave album. Probably a good album to recommend to newcomers, but it doesn't really reflect what they've done in the past with albums that are slightly darker in feel.

RateYourMusic
Phillipa C.
43 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
^ You liked 'Nocturama'?
Can't stand that album.

it's worth the price of admission just for "Babe I'm on fire". savage stuff.

the opening track is also one of my favourite Bad Seeds songs, Wonderful Life.
Phillipa C.
43 IQ
Bad Seeds are a phenomenal live band. and now the old sonic Youth drummer Jim Sclavunos is playing with them!
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
^ Is that the drummer that looks like he could be Nick's brother?

Only other members of the Bad Seeds that I can ever name are Blixa, Warren Ellis and Barry Adamson but two out of three aren't in the band anymore from what I can remember.

RateYourMusic
Monkeygone2hvn
127 IQ
i just started listening to him more, frequently... i really like the song "there she goes my beautiful world"
Bluesbreaker7
Twee-pop aficionado
171 IQ
Quote by Guillemot
The Boatman's Call is my favorite Nick Cave album.

Word.

"I don't believe in an interventionist God..." = best opening lines of an album ever? Got to be up there.

Anyone heard "Dig Lazarus Dig!"? Not sure if it's out yet but it's definitely leaked. Pretty good off a couple of listens, not stunning though.

Edit: Oh, yes they have.