Page 1 of 103
So after 500 threads asking for "bands that sound like such and such," I've taken the liberty to make one of these up. Of course, I'm not a genre expert, so feel free to complain, criticize, or contribute.
If you're looking for a genre or sound that I don't have listed, still ask for recommendations in this thread instead of creating your own.

Old School Hardcore

The term ‘hardcore’ was coined with DOA’s classic realease entitled ‘Hardcore ‘81’, after this release bands started to classify themselves as hardcore bands, however the term had been used previously to note bands that were hardcore punks in the sense that they lived the lifestyle and stuck to it. Early shows were chaotic and were frequently shut down due to fighting inside the venues and also fighting with the police who would often turn up to try and close shows down. As it started out as a genre the band to be was Bad Brains, with an intense live show on stage and a music played faster than anyone else at the time that was what almost every band aspired to be. Old school hardcore hands tend to be fast, raw and aggressive in both their music and their lyrics.

Agnostic Front – Victim In Pain, Riot, Riot, Upstart
Bad Brains – Bad Brains
Black Flag - Damaged
Bold – Looking Back
Circle Jerks – Wild In The Streets
Cro-Mags – The Age Of Quarrel
Descendents – Everything Sucks, Milo Goes To College
DOA – Hardcore ‘81
DYS - Wolfpack
Gorilla Biscuits – Start Today
In My Eyes – Nothing To Hide
J.F.A. – We Know You Suck
Judge – What It Meant (Discography)
MDC – Millions Of Dead Cops
Minor Threat – Complete Discography
Sick Of It All – Built To Last, Yours Truly
SS Decontrol – The Kids Will Have Their Say
Suicidal Tendencies – Join The Army
Ten Yard Fight – Hardcore Pride
Youth Of Today – Break Down The Walls

Modern Day Hardcore

Much like old school hardcore these tend to be the bands that kept a raw edge at both their live shows and on record. Most of these bands have moved away from the violent shows of the early 80’s and aspire to a feeling of companionship at shows. It is often mentioned that people will go to any hardcore show because of the feeling of community that they feel being with everyone else there. The local hardcore community are usually relatively tight-knit and most people know each other. It’s this sense of community that keeps these bands going and frequently inspires their lyrics. Also with modern hardcore there are some ‘clique’ type groupings such as Straight Edge harcore, Posi hardcore, Melodic hardcore and other such titles to further classify bands as to better describe their sound.

Bane – Holding This Moment
Blacklisted – Unstoppable
Bracewar – Juggernaut
Carry On – A Life Less Plagued
Champion – Promises Kept
Comeback Kid – Turn It Around
Death Before Dishonour - Friends. Family. Forever
Down To Nothing – Splitting Headache, The Most
Floorpunch – Fast Times At The Jersey Shore
Guns Up – Game Over
Have Heart – What Counts
Killing The Dream
Modern Life Is War – My Love, My Way
Pulling Teeth – Martyr Immortal
Shipwreck A.D. - Abyss
Slapshot – Greatest Hits, Slashes And Crosschecks
Ruiner – What Could Possibly Go Right?
Trapped Under Ice - Stay Cold
Trash Talk - Plagues
Verse – From Anger To Rage

"Tough Guy" Hardcore

Tough guy hardcore is as old as old school hardcore is. A lot of early New York hardcore bands such as Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front were known for having rough lyrics which dealt with the hardships that they faced in every day life. Most modern day bands include lyrics which revolve around brotherhood, standing up for what you believe and not taking any shit. These bands tend to have shows which are more like the 80’s in the sense that there are occasionally fights between different groups of people and often due to the overly aggressive style of hardcore dancing which takes place. There are many different styles of tough guy hardcore so it is hard to just label a band as ‘tough guy’ anymore.

100 Demons – 100 Demons
25 Ta Life – Keepin’ It Real
Beatdown Fury – Alive In Sin, Face Death In Judgement
Blood For Blood – Wasted Youth Brew
Born From Pain – Sands Of Time
Brutality Will Prevail - Demo
Bulldoze – The Final Beatdown
CDC – Defy The Odds
Donnybrook – Lions In The Game
Hatebreed – Satisfaction Is The Death Of Desire
Hoods – Pray For Death, Ghettoblaster
Knuckledust – Time Won’t Heal This
Madball – Demonstrating My Style
Ninebar – Raising The Bar
Six Foot Ditch – Unlicensed Cemetary
Shattered Realm – Broken Ties, Spoken Lies
Sworn Enemy – As Real As It Gets
Terror – Lowest Of The Low
TRC – Destroy And Rebuild
Until The End – Blood In The Ink

Metalcore
Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of the hardcore punk and heavy metal genres. The term is a portmanteau of heavy metal and hardcore punk. (From Wiki

TR00 metalcore
Atreyu- Versions, Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses
Botch
Cave In
Coalesce
Converge
Drowning Man
Earth Crisis
Gehenna
Hopesfall (old)
Integrity
Left For Dead
Poison the Well - Tear From The Red
Ringworm
This Day Forward (former band of members from Circa Survive)
Shai Hulud
Starkweather
7 Angels 7 Plagues
NÜ metalcore
All That Remains
Arsonists Get All the Girls
August Burns Red
Between the Buried and Me (Metalcore early on, moving into progressive metal/core)
The Bled
Blessed By a Broken Heart
Caliban
The Chariot
Darkest Hour
The Devil Wears Prada
Drop Dead Gorgeous
God Forbid
Haste The Day
Heavy Heavy Low Low
The Human Abstract
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Misery Signals
Norma Jean
Parkway Drive
Protest the Hero
Trivium
Unearth
Underoath
"Southern" Metalcore
The Cancer Bats
Every Time I Die
He is Legend
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Once Nothing
The Showdown
Last edited by saxaxe at Apr 25, 2013,
Deathcore
Deathcore is a fusion of metalcore and death metal. Although considered a subgenre of metalcore, the music draws heavy influence from Death Metal in its speed and heaviness. Deathcore bands usually play in drop tunings, giving the music a heavier sound. Deathcore bands most often display outstanding musicianship, but also rely on breakdowns in their music. Vocals are a range of traditional metalcore screams and deeper, death metal influenced growls. Many bands also employ inhaled grunts and the "pig squeal." Deathcore receives a lot of criticism from extreme metal fans after bands like Waking the Cadaver and Job for a Cowboy made the genre appealing to a broader range of people.

Abigail Williams
Animosity
Annotations of an Autopsy
All Shall Perish
As Blood Runs Black
At the Throne of Judgement
Beneath The Massacre (Also considered tech death)
Born of Osiris
The Breathing Process
Bring Me The Horizon
The Boy Will Drown
Carnifex
Despised Icon
Elysia
The Faceless
Impending Doom
Job for a Cowboy
Molotov Solution
See You Next Tuesday
Suicide Silence
Veil of Maya
War From A Harlots Mouth
Winds of Plague
Whitechapel
Moshy shit Breakdowns.
The Acacia Strain
American Me
Bury Your Dead
Emmure
Eternal Lord
Liferuiner
Ligeia
On Broken Wings
Recon
Thick as Blood

Mathcore
The Number 12 Looks Like You
Dillinger Escape Plan
Psyopus
Ion Dissonance
Lye By Mistake]

Post Hardcore
This blends in with 90's emo a lot; this genre always confused me

At the Drive In
Drive like Jehu
Embrace
The Fall of Troy
Fugazi
Jawbox
mewithoutYou
Million Dead
Refused
Rites of Spring
Thursday
Thrice

Grindcore + Deathgrind (from SadistNation)

Insect Warfare
Circle of Dead Children
Discordance Axis
Birdflesh
Bile Nephrosis
Cattle Decapitation
Napalm Death
Pig Destroyer
Rotten Sound
a-team
Carcass
Gorgasm
Gorguts

"Scene"grind

Scene grind is just as much a subgenre of deathcore as it is of grindcore. Bands like Waking the Cadaver and Job For a Cowboy were falsely labeled grindcore by fans, which led to an explosion of grindcore bands aimed at the "scene kid" crowd. These bands are usually much more spastic and unintelligible than other deathcore or grindcore. The guitar parts are often either dissonant lead lines or fast, heavy chords, along with slower, chord melody breakdowns. As opposed to grindcore, they use higher screams and shrieks as often as lower growls.

Robinson
Pope Benedict
See You Next Tuesday
Destroyer Destroyer
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Success Will Write Apocalypse Across The Sky
Behold the Arctopus
The Crinn
Hewhocorrupts
Psyopus
Feed Walrus DEFEAT!
Duck Duck Goose
The Irish Front

Power Violence (curtousey of SadistNation)

Bruce Banner
Toxic Narcotic
Insect Warfare
Dropdead
No Comment
Weekend Nachos
Asshole Assassination Squad (AxAxS)
Crossed Out
Extortion
The Slight Slappers
Waco ****
Sick Fix
Infest
Charles Bronson
ACxDC
Apathetic Ronald McDonald (AxRxM)
Fuck on the Beach

Hardcore/Pop Punk
Daggermouth
A Day to Remember
Fireworks
Four Year Strong
Set Your Goals
Tie Fighter
Title Fight
The Wonder Years

Screamo
First, bands like Saosin, Alesana, Chiodos, Escape The Fate, etc are NOT screamo. To avoid being flamed mercilessly by the forum regulars of this forum of PP&E, do not refer to them as such. Go here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652987 There is a description and list of screamo bands. Although your favorite "screamo" band may match the description, listen to the bands first, it's a specific sound which can be hard to break down into words. Here's a good list of easy to find bands to start with
Love Like...Electrocution
Circle Takes the Square
Hot Cross
Joshua Fit For Battle
Suis La Lune
Loma Prieta
Pg. 99

Pop metalcore/post-hardcore/"screamo"
These bands are often called hardcore, screamo post hardcore or emo, although they are none of the above. Most are just less intense, more whiny metalcore.
Alesana
As Cities Burn
Blessthefall
Blood Brothers
Chiodos
The Devil Wears Prada
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Emery
Envy On The Coast
Escape The Fate
Fear Before (The March of Flames)
Flee the Seen
From Autumn To Ashes
From First To Last
A Heartwell Ending
It Dies Today
Pierce the Veil
The Receiving End of Sirens
Saosin
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Senses Fail
Silverstein
A Skylit Drive
Story of the Year
Underoath
Last edited by saxaxe at Jul 21, 2012,
No worries dude. I'm just happy we finally got one.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
I'd love to help out as I'm a bit of a metalcore and deathcore aficionado

Well, I'm gonna throw out some stuff, feel free to tell me to shut up and fuck off

Oh and I'm not trying to pick an argument because THJ and I have discussed this already, but Between the Buried and Me under metalcore....?
What I think you should add is just next to it something like [[Metalcore (early), Progressive Metal/core (later)]], just so people don't go and pickup Colors expecting to hear Shai Hulud or Unearth

Arsonists Get All The Girls are Deathcore.

Beneath The Massacre need the "tech death/core" label thrown on them aswel.

Throw up Ion Dissonance under Mathcore

The Faceless would probably sound better as "also progressive death"
Quote by Magero
I'd love to help out as I'm a bit of a metalcore and deathcore aficionado

Well, I'm gonna throw out some stuff, feel free to tell me to shut up and fuck off

Oh and I'm not trying to pick an argument because THJ and I have discussed this already, but Between the Buried and Me under metalcore....?
What I think you should add is just next to it something like [[Metalcore (early), Progressive Metal/core (later)]], just so people don't go and pickup Colors expecting to hear Shai Hulud or Unearth

Arsonists Get All The Girls are Deathcore.

Beneath The Massacre need the "tech death/core" label thrown on them aswel.

Throw up Ion Dissonance under Mathcore

The Faceless would probably sound better as "also progressive death"

1. We just need a marker beside BTBAM, explaining the difference, or an asterik.

2. Dunno.

3. After Ion Dissonance, that should be it for mathcore. And I mean, four bands, that's it.

4. I disagree. Tech death fits, considering their "new" direction.
Quote by MustangMan311
1. We just need a marker beside BTBAM, explaining the difference, or an asterik.

2. Dunno.

3. After Ion Dissonance, that should be it for mathcore. And I mean, four bands, that's it.

this

EDIT: Add Lye By Mistake under Mathcore. Which means 5 bands for mathcore. HAHAHA!
without fun
hope you had a good time
Last edited by tomohawkjoe at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by MustangMan311
Except that Lye By Mistake isn't a -core band, at all. :]

Forgot they were Experimental Soul Jazz.

EDIT: Just Curious, is there gonna be a Melodic Hardcore and/or Metallic Hardcore section added?
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by MustangMan311

2. Dunno.

1. So we agree.
2. Trust me.
3. Agree again.
4. Their currently released material is prog death, when the new album comes out or we hear more material, sure, we can label them as tech death.
Man, I just noticed Beneath The Massacre under deathcore. I honestly feel they're better suited as tech death, especially since I struggle to find any hardcore influences in them. But meh, It wouldn't hurt to put tech death/core like Magero said.
without fun
hope you had a good time
The only real hardcore influence in them is the breakdowns really....which are a bit too common to be ignored .
I call them tech death, but I'm happy to call them tech deathcore.

Like I said, I'd love to help out with genre descriptions, identifying of various styles of each genre etc, (example: BMTH styled deathcore is completely different from Suicide Silence styled deathcore, which is again, completely different from All Shall Perish styled deathcore)
Quote by Magero
The only real hardcore influence in them is the breakdowns really....which are a bit too common to be ignored .
I call them tech death, but I'm happy to call them tech deathcore.

Like I said, I'd love to help out with genre descriptions, identifying of various styles of each genre etc, (example: BMTH styled deathcore is completely different from Suicide Silence styled deathcore, which is again, completely different from All Shall Perish styled deathcore)

Yeah, but Breakdowns aren't a defining factor of hardcore. As for the whole deathcore thing, they're all still reasonably recognized as deathcore. I mean, the only genre up there we really have separated is Metalcore (and for good reasons at that) so I really don't see the need to separate the deathcore section. If anything PM saxaxe about it and discuss it with him, since most regs here don't really care for any of the bands you mentioned so I'm sure they wont care.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by saxaxe
So after 500 threads asking for "bands that sound like such and such," I've taken the liberty to make one of these up. Of course, I'm not a genre expert, so feel free to complain, criticize, or contribute. This is just a bare bones way to start, there will be subgenres added to each, etc. If anyone feels they can write a section (definitions, subgenres, band lists) better than I have (as I'm sure you will), PM me and I'll add it in, with full credit to you. Just band lists for now, more to come

Hardcore (aka Hardcore Punk)
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Minor Threat
SS Decontrol
Shipwreck AD
Verse
Modern Life is War
Ruiner
Bane
Terror
Madball
Killing the Dream
Pulling Teeth
Trapped Under Ice
Trash Talk
Bracewar
Death Before Dishonor
Guns Up
Have Heart
Hatebreed

should we break this a little more? i mean maybe: NYHC, west coast, DC
cause i find new bridge 9 stuff horrible (haha), and that list would confuse me if i was younger

Quote by saxaxe

Power Violence (curtousey of SadistNation)
Bruce Banner
Toxic Narcotic
Insect Warfare
Dropdead
Weekend Nachos
Asshole Assassination Squad (AxAxS)
Crossed Out
Extortion
The Slight Slappers
Waco ****
Sick Fix
Infest
Charles Bronson
ACxDC
Apathetic Ronald McDonald (AxRxM)
**** on the Beach

TN and IW are rather grindy, should we put bands like MITB, iron lung, no comment. up there who represent more 'straight' PV opposed to the faster-no-slow stuff?
Quote by crustyreed
cause i find new bridge 9 stuff horrible (haha), and that list would confuse me if i was younger

That kinda comes back to my other question as well. Should there also be a separation for Metallic/Melodic hardcore as well?
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by crustyreed

sry to double post but hell no. just because some bands aren't your favourites doesnt mean it doesnt belong in the same genre as your favourites. stop splitting bands and genres, you're gonna start a whole new deathcore thing again
Quote by recklessnick
sry to double post but hell no. just because some bands aren't your favourites doesnt mean it doesnt belong in the same genre as your favourites. stop splitting bands and genres, you're gonna start a whole new deathcore thing again

what are you talking about? grouping the more similar bands together is a good idea...
Quote by recklessnick
why would you divide hardcore bands into dc hardcore, new york hardcore, bridge nine hardcore

just because someone likes verse or have heart doesn't mean they'll like terror and madball, since not all hardcore bands sound the same; it'll help a little more with people looking for similar bands to the ones they like.
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Yeah, but Breakdowns aren't a defining factor of hardcore. As for the whole deathcore thing, they're all still reasonably recognized as deathcore. I mean, the only genre up there we really have separated is Metalcore (and for good reasons at that) so I really don't see the need to separate the deathcore section. If anything PM saxaxe about it and discuss it with him, since most regs here don't really care for any of the bands you mentioned so I'm sure they wont care.

Well, I was just saying. I know tons of people who hate the BMTH style but love the ASP style, or whatever. If I asked for "bands like Suicide Silence ", I'd mean bands like Impending Doom, Annotations of an Autopsy and Whitechapel, not All Shall Perish, As Blood Runs Black or The Red Death.
Quote by Magero
Well, I was just saying. I know tons of people who hate the BMTH style but love the ASP style, or whatever. If I asked for "bands like Suicide Silence ", I'd mean bands like Impending Doom, Annotations of an Autopsy and Whitechapel, not All Shall Perish, As Blood Runs Black or The Red Death.

Like I said dude, talk to saxaxe about it. Its totally up to you and him, if he's up for it than by all means go for it.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by aggiefan33
just because someone likes verse or have heart doesn't mean they'll like terror and madball, since not all hardcore bands sound the same; it'll help a little more with people looking for similar bands to the ones they like.

yeah, but that would be seperating tough guy and melodic hardcore. not the states the bands are in or the record labels.

i think we should all agree that not all the bands put up in recommendations are just suggestions and its only right for us to look them up and decide which do we like ourselves.
Looking for some bands similar to The Carrier, Life long Tragedy, Ruiner, Miles Away etc.

or similar to Pulling Teeth, Trap them etc.

Basically just list me some hardcore bands and i will check them out.
Last.fm

I saw tail lights, last night, in a dream about my old life
Everybody leaves so why, why wouldn't you?
i put 20 quid down that no one actually looks here before posting "CAN J00 RECOMMEND ME SUM GEWD HXC PRZ?"
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Hardcore sub-genres are a bastard to classify though. One persons Screamo/posthardcore is Underoath, whilst another person would claim it to be Circle Takes The Square. Good luck with the thread though, its a good idea.
You should write a description for each genre, and I'm working on the DC section right now.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Quote by treflip
Hardcore sub-genres are a bastard to classify though. One persons Screamo/posthardcore is Underoath, whilst another person would claim it to be Circle Takes The Square. Good luck with the thread though, its a good idea.

Yeah, but hopefully with this thread they will be able to at the very least understand the difference between certain genres. All though I do think it would be a good idea to have a link to the screamo thread in the PP&E forum.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Phew this thread erupted fast. Ok here we go.
Maegro, I'll add the markers to BTBAM and Beneath the Massacre.
MustangMan, I'll add Ion Dissonance.
Tomohawk Joe, I PMed Craigo asking him to write up the section on Hardcore, hoping that he would specify melodic, metallic, etc etc. If I don't get a reply within a couple days, I'll work on doin it myself, OR if anyone here wants to volunteer, PM me what you got.
Crustyreed, the above applies to you as well.
If craigo doesn't respond, just Ask Dai. He knows his stuff.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by Magero
YESSS!
-spin kick-

lolwut
Maggy can you help please?

Can you find me a Deathcore band like annotations of an autopsy but I need it like deathy..

>
bree bree look how fucking metal i am