Page 1 of 2
I read in another thread where someone said in reference to Boss pedals "you get what you pay for",...but are Boss pedals not the most expensive kinds of pedals. What brand is more expensive than Boss?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Ummm wow

Well, lets see

Fulltone

Any Ibanez Tubescreamer

BBE

Voodoo Lab

etc
etc
etc
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor (new): $350
I got one used, but it is very nice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Everything is more expensive, except Danelectro, Line 6, and some others. Boss makes some cheap stuff.

What about Digitech?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
look around for rare pedals
ive heard of this boss pedal(xt or st somethin) thats got a collector value near a thou
but you really shouldnt shop based on price, shop for what fits your style
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Yeah, boss is bottom of the barrel, pretty much everything costs more. EHX is a step above boss, but they're pretty close.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, boss is bottom of the barrel, pretty much everything costs more. EHX is a step above boss, but they're pretty close.

EHX are great.

I really like BOSS too....many professional musicians like BOSS, nothing wrong with them.

but EHX is my personal favourite for pedals
Quote by necrophilic
fulltone tube tape echo?

Oh yea, forgot about that. $1200 right? The only thing is it's not a pedal.
Quote by necrophilic
fulltone tube tape echo?

Roland Space Echo
Moog delay pedal is almost 800
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
This is stunning. I always thought Boss were the top of the chain...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
But why is Boss so popular is they're cheap?

didn't the other thread cover that? That get the job done fairly well most of the time, they are affordable, and built like tanks. The cream of the crop is never the best-selling item, most people can't justify the higher costs.

It's all about personal taste. I love my boss digital delay and wouldn't want another one. I love my digitech bass chorus and wouldn't want another one. I love my BYOC envelop filter and slow gear (well I would want an original slow gear but wouldn't pay for it) etc. etc. Different brands aren't always just a hierarchy, they sound different and you can shop around to get the exact sound you want.
Quote by 365_days_gone
But why is Boss so popular is they're cheap?

You said it right there, they're popular because they are cheap, and they spend more money on marketing instead of making good pedals.

EHX is standard fare, I'm not bashing them, I have an LPB1, but they aren't anything special, they make decent pedals for a decent price. They're better than boss and probably the best widely available pedals around.

Pros use the vintage stuff or they get sponsored. I'm sure some of them use the modulation and delays because they like them, but I don't think any pros use stuff like the MT2 and the ML2. I know cobain used the ds1 and ds2 as does froosh, but their tone aren't exactly the greatest. Well, froosh has some good tones, just not when he kicks the DS on.
Why dont the pros use MT2's? What do they use?

I personally love the sound of the MT2
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Their amp, real metal tones are either a high gain head (ala engl or mesa or VHT, ect, ect) or a JCM800 kind of amp with a boost pedal or active pups pushing it for more gain.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You said it right there, they're popular because they are cheap, and they spend more money on marketing instead of making good pedals.

EHX is standard fare, I'm not bashing them, I have an LPB1, but they aren't anything special, they make decent pedals for a decent price. They're better than boss and probably the best widely available pedals around.

Pros use the vintage stuff or they get sponsored. I'm sure some of them use the modulation and delays because they like them, but I don't think any pros use stuff like the MT2 and the ML2. I know cobain used the ds1 and ds2 as does froosh, but their tone aren't exactly the greatest. Well, froosh has some good tones, just not when he kicks the DS on.

Frusciante also uses boss pedals, I love both Cobain & Frusciante's tones, as do many other people. EHX pedals seem to be built just as solid as my DS-1...well atleast the double muff is..
365... have you ever heard a 5150 in action? or a Koch Powertone... or any real metal amp?

Some pros may use the MT-2...but it is 99.999% likely that it is heavily modded....
I mentioned froosh. I like his slightly overdrive sounds and his muff sound, but when he clicks on the ds and the wh10

cobain made the ds sound as good as it ever could, but I'm still not a fan. It worked for him and for grunge in general, but I'm not a grunge fan. I prefer clarity above eye searing gain.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
365... have you ever heard a 5150 in action? or a Koch Powertone... or any real metal amp?

Some pros may use the MT-2...but it is 99.999% likely that it is heavily modded....

No I havent. So your saying pros use the distortion that is built into amps?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Most certainly they do You can get really good distortion from any tube amplifier (almost every....) and most metal bands use what are called high-gain amplifiers... which have more of a distortion....

Most people now just use overdrive pedals to either tighten sound or get a boost.
Quote by 365_days_gone
No I havent. So your saying pros use the distortion that is built into amps?

I used to think like this, but it's true amps make the best sounding distortion. I'm kind of hypocritical since the FD2 is practically a distortion pedal, but its very transparent, sounds very good and the BJr is cranked so I'm getting gain from that too.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Most certainly they do You can get really good distortion from any tube amplifier (almost every....) and most metal bands use what are called high-gain amplifiers... which have more of a distortion....

Most people now just use overdrive pedals to either tighten sound or get a boost.

ok, so heres a question. If pros use amps as their primary distortion sound, then how do they switch between clean and distortion?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
ok, so heres a question. If pros use amps as their primary distortion sound, then how do they switch between clean and distortion?

Welcome to the world of multi-channel amplifiers my friend

Even with a single channel amp...turning down the volume on your guitar works...but it takes some getting used to...

Basically.. most high gain amps have this for a reason. they will more than likely 2 or 3 channels (possibly more...unless you are a SLO fan.... :|)

Essentially 1 channel is much lower gain and does clean only... and sometimes blues and crunchy sounds....

Channel 2 is where the metal is and all gain and then some is more than likely on tap.
Or pros just have multiple amp setups.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Exactly, remember, having a 20-50k rig that weighs a ton (literally) is no biggie if you're rich and have 20 roadies.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Welcome to the world of multi-channel amplifiers my friend

Even with a single channel amp...turning down the volume on your guitar works...but it takes some getting used to...

Basically.. most high gain amps have this for a reason. they will more than likely 2 or 3 channels (possibly more...unless you are a SLO fan.... :|)

Essentially 1 channel is much lower gain and does clean only... and sometimes blues and crunchy sounds....

Channel 2 is where the metal is and all gain and then some is more than likely on tap.

But how d you switch between the two?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Footswitch Or a midi switching system
Quote by 365_days_gone
But how d you switch between the two?

Footswitch...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So you buy an additional footswitch that plugs into a spot and it switches between the channels?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
That's right.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by 365_days_gone
So you buy an additional footswitch that plugs into a spot and it switches between the channels?

You got it

Whats a good amp with mutiple channels that doesnt cost too much? And about how much would it cost?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
What kind of music do you mostly play?
you can get usable and sometimes downright decent sounds out of boss pedals. but most of the time you can get better. its up to the player to decide whether its worth the few extra bucks tho (sometimes few extra hundred bucks).
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by 365_days_gone
Whats a good amp with mutiple channels that doesnt cost too much? And about how much would it cost?

Theres a huge choice really, and most amps have 2 or more channels built in. Generally, tube amps have superior tone compared to solidstate amps, but you pay more for a tube amp.
If you are on a tight budget, amps like roland cube/peavey vyper are best options (solid state)... but once you enter the world of tube amps, you can go from not much more than a solid state, to remortgaging the house to pay for an amp

But we'll need to know you'r musical tastes, budget and type of usage are in order to recommend amps...
A step up from Boss/Ibanez would be a Modified Boss/Ibanez...

Take a normal TS9DX retail is 109.99 vs my Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4x2 which is $240.00

But it is worth every penny, well 24000 pennies to be exact lol
Page 1 of 2