Page 1 of 4
Guys, when we are older, wat kind of music (mainstream) can we brag about having??? seriously all the crap our generation is into is stuff like the jonas brothers or hannah montana or paramore (k maybe paramore isnt that bad) but seriously is there any good mainstream music anymore?
Quote by imnotinsane
but seriously is there any good mainstream music anymore?

No. All modern music sucks, pre-1990 is the only era of good music.

Foo Fighters? Jack White? The Killers? Coldplay?
Foo Fighters, Alter Bridge, Queens of the Stone Age, maybe Seether for me...that's it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
eh, maybe Kings Of Leon also although they're too pop these days.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I can't wait to tell my grandson about how I superman'ed his grandma, a tip I picked up from music wizard Soulja Boy.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I don't understand why the Jonas brothers get so much hate. They write incredibly simple music and make millions of dollars from it. I wish I could be in their situation. Who cares if your music isn't interesting if you're set for retirement before you're even an adult?
i would say green day. They aren't the most talented musicians but they did change the pop/rock/punk genre. Honestly show me a guitarist who hasn't tried to learn good riddance and i will show you a lying fool.
I am not siging you jackass
perfect circle, Coldplay(on thier first 2 albums, damien rice(he is currently my fav songwriter), you cant find good bands on MTV anymore.... you find them on UG forums
The "mainstream" has grown from just the top 40 since music began to be in niche markets. Especially with the internet, things have really broken apart. I consider mainstream now any bands that are pretty popular in their genre/scene. Heck, just look at youtube, myspace, and last.fm and see how many hits so many artists have.

OutKast
Radiohead
White Stripes
Muse
Sufjan Stevens
Arcade Fire
Daft Punk
LCD Soundsystem
The Go! Team
The Mars Volta
Lil' Wayne
Kanye West
Tool
Battles
Aphex Twin
Portishead
Protest The Hero
Dream Theater
Opeth
The Knife
TV On The Radio
Fall Of Troy
M.I.A.
Burial

And many more
Quote by qstionauthority
THIS

and Dethklok

This.

Both bands!
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by electr8r
The "mainstream" has grown from just the top 40 since music began to be in niche markets. Especially with the internet, things have really broken apart. I consider mainstream now any bands that are pretty popular in their genre/scene. Heck, just look at youtube, myspace, and last.fm and see how many hits so many artists have.

OutKast
Radiohead
White Stripes
Muse
Sufjan Stevens
Arcade Fire
Daft Punk
LCD Soundsystem
The Go! Team
The Mars Volta
Lil' Wayne
Kanye West
Tool
Battles
Aphex Twin
Portishead
Protest The Hero
Dream Theater
Opeth
The Knife
TV On The Radio
Fall Of Troy
M.I.A.
Burial

And many more

OMG! YES PEOPLE NEED TO LISTEN TO PROTEST THE HERO!!
Quote by heavymetal31

And I will Protest This Poster by not listening to PTH
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Spamwise
I don't understand why the Jonas brothers get so much hate. They write incredibly simple music and make millions of dollars from it. I wish I could be in their situation. Who cares if your music isn't interesting if you're set for retirement before you're even an adult?

Because they're massive faggots

On topic, Tool and Opeth are 2 right off the top of my head

Also we don't have to brag about shit mainstream, you can brag about whatever you want coming from the time period, even if it's the most underground, obscure band imaginable
Last edited by Putrefaction at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by heavymetal31

They're not that great. I like them but... They're so goddamn repetitive. Every song is a wankfest.

People NEED to listen to:

Quote by electr8r
OutKast
Radiohead
White Stripes
Muse
Sufjan Stevens
Arcade Fire
Daft Punk
LCD Soundsystem
The Go! Team
The Mars Volta
Lil' Wayne
Kanye West
Tool
Battles
Aphex Twin
Portishead
Protest The Hero
Dream Theater
Opeth
The Knife
TV On The Radio
Fall Of Troy
M.I.A.
Burial

Quote by Spamwise

Artists do sir.

Artists who refuse to commercialize and sell their souls. Artists who would rather die poor loving what they create then be rich but hate everything they stand for.

Art is why we create.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Artists do sir.

Artists who refuse to commercialize and sell their souls. Artists who would rather die poor loving what they create then be rich but hate everything they stand for.

Art is why we create.

Here we go with that "integrity of the music" bullshit..
ITT: Elitism.

Seriously people, no one cares if you hate music for being mainstream. Everything doesnt suck just because you dislike it.

Quote by Spamwise

This too.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by ColinMacIsaac0
New John Mayer.

Yeah.

ALL John Mayer.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Venetiab Snares
Fiery Furnaces
Queens OF The Stone Age
Gnarls Barkley
Gorillaz
Amy Winehouse
Modest Mouse
Nortec Collective
Bajofondo
Coheed & Cambria
Ratatat
Madvillian
Animal Collective
Spoon
Bjork
Four Tet
Mika
Nickel Creek

I'm tired of people saying music died around (insert time period)
Quote by Spamwise

Not just music

Art itself.

And just because something is "mainstream" doesn't make it good or bad.

Nirvana is rather mainstream today. It's still good.

If the Jo Bros played prog-metal and were just as famous, it wouldn't matter if they were mainstream/

But since their music is crap, I couldn't care less if wasn't mainstream: it's still crap and not good music and not good art
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Not just music

Art itself.

Art is a profession. People do it because they enjoy it, but in the end, it is for money. Music in its essence is just noise. It does not have a "soul", it does not have "integrity", one song can not be more "pure" than another. The idea that somehow a musician who writes songs to pay the bills is somehow less of a musician than a musician who doesn't make any money and writes as he is starving is ludicrous.

But since their music is crap, I couldn't care less if wasn't mainstream: it's still crap and not good music and not good art

Who are you to make statements like that about art? You talk about art and the integrity of it, yet you miss the most important part: the fact that it is subjective. What you might not like, someone else does like.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Not just music

Art itself.

If the Jo Bros played prog-metal and were just as famous, it wouldn't matter if they were mainstream/

So is country crap because its easy to play? Is rap crap because its easy to play? No.
You obviously like metal, what about people who think all metal is talentless noise with gibberish vocals? Crap is subjective.

Quote by Ktool The Girth
ITT: Elitism.

Seriously people, no one cares if you hate music for being mainstream. Everything doesnt suck just because you dislike it.

Quoted for emphasis
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Is rap crap because its easy to play

I would like to see people who say rap has no skill try to rap like some of the skilled rappers that are around today. I don't personally enjoy it, but it definitely takes skill.
I'd have to say Green Day, they are VERY famous. I would go ahead and say Offspring, System of a down, Muse as well.

I don't agree with most of the bands mentioned in this thread. :/
Quote by Ktool The Girth
So is country crap because its easy to play? Is rap crap because its easy to play? No.
You obviously like metal, what about people who think all metal is talentless noise with gibberish vocals? Crap is subjective.

Ooo! Ooo! I'm one of those people that thinks metal is talentless noise with gibberish vocals! But I know that is just my opinion. I hold that because I have never heard a metal song that just blows me away with the talent of the musicians.

Oh, and not ALL country is easy. Brad Paisley and Keith Urban anyone? Those two are a couple of the most talented guitarists I have ever seen.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I would brag about every style and genre of music out there today, to be honest. There has never been a time in the history of music that has been so diverse. There are more genres/sub-genres of music around now than any time before and I think this is something to be proud of, even if they are all slightly retrospective. So some of you don't like it, who gives a rats arse? Musical taste is an opinion and the opinion of one unknown person should not affect another persons opinion.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
as someone who got into guitar when metallica were good, grunge was around, gnr were here, florida death metal scene was rockin etc i really dont know. Metalcore and emo seem to have died there are no significant post 2000 bands but Minus the Bear, Gojira and god know who else(opeth and tool being 90s bands essentially)
Quote by Spamwise
I would like to see people who say rap has no skill try to rap like some of the skilled rappers that are around today. I don't personally enjoy it, but it definitely takes skill.

Being able to masturbate spread eagle without the use of your hands prolly takes skill and hard work too but you don't see a grammy going to those guys. Sorry I just had to say that, my sense of humor.

Anyway people were really having these discussions back in the day too. Clapton left the Yardbirds because they were too mainstream and the "entire scene" back then was poppy sell outs. Music is a business, therefore sellouts thrive. They won't live on though. I will be surprised if our grandchildren will know Soulja Boy like we know Led Zeppelin.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by goth clash
I would brag about every style and genre of music out there today, to be honest. There has never been a time in the history of music that has been so diverse. There are more genres/sub-genres of music around now than any time before and I think this is something to be proud of, even if they are all slightly retrospective. So some of you don't like it, who gives a rats arse? Musical taste is an opinion and the opinion of one unknown person should not affect another persons opinion.

All of the sub-generes are from elitists who think that because a song has a few different notes it needs its own genere. Frankly I think all of the sub-generes are something to be ashamed of, not proud of.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Wow. Can't believe these haven't been mentioned yet.
KiF
Oz Noy
Screaming Headless Torsos
Bang Camaro
Black Cherry Acid Lab
Wolfmother
The Darkness
Silvertide
Mattias IA Eklundh
Liquid Tension Experiment
Joe Bonamassa
JET
Eric Sardinas
Sound Tribe Sector 9
Mastodon
The Sword

All of them debuted in or after 1990, unless you consider Joe Bonamassa jammin with BB King in the 80s a debut
Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 4