All,

I've been playing an Ibanez RGT42 through an Marshall AVT 150 with a JCM900 cab (2x12?) and I really just can't seem to nail the tone I want! I'm looking for a Mark Tremonti-ish or perhaps a Jerry Cantrell-ish sound? Maybe I just say Jerry Cantrell because I'm listening to AIC right now...

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the overdrive is all off. Clean channel doesn't sound too horrible. The gain's either turned down and the OD tone is too weak and has no balls or the gain's turned up and it's muddy as shit. There's a "scoop" button for the two OD channels but which actually sounds kinda alright but it has no definition. Also note that standing directly in front of the amp sounds like dick too -- muddy as hell, fuzzy almost.

Anyway, what should I do? New pickups? i have INF 1 and 2 in my Ibanez. Perhaps a new cab? Any other suggestions?
It's the amp not the pickups or guitar. You really need to upgrade from that thing. They both use really nice amps, and an AVT is not gonna get you a sound like Jerry's Bogners.
Yep, his right. The amp is what matters in your situation I reckon. Sounds like a nice guitar because sometimes even the best guitars sound like crap through certain amps. Rather than pick ups, you need an amp upgrade. Marshalls are still rockin, but depending on the price you could try something like Hughes and Kettner, they're pretty good when it comes to balancing the overdrive or gain.

Good luck.
How much money have you got for a new amp then? New pickups, nor a new cab, would get you the tone you're looking for.

From what I've heard, Mark Tremonti uses Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifers or something of the sort, so the best way to get his tone is to use one of them. If you don't have the money, a Line 6 Flextone III XL would get you a good Triple Rec. tone, and they're not expensive.

In the future, you may consider getting a new guitar/pickups, but yeah. Worry about that another day.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
How much money have you got for a new amp then? New pickups, nor a new cab, would get you the tone you're looking for.

From what I've heard, Mark Tremonti uses Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifers or something of the sort, so the best way to get his tone is to use one of them. If you don't have the money, a Line 6 Flextone III XL would get you a good Triple Rec. tone, and they're not expensive.

In the future, you may consider getting a new guitar/pickups, but yeah. Worry about that another day.

yep, not a bad idea macker.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Mark Tremonti runs his guitar through three of the biggest, loudest, gain intensive amps ever made. Theres a YouTube video of his equipment here:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcB7ZUEWV8

In a magazine article I read, he mentioned a classic Marshall, a Mesa Boogie (either a Dual or Triple Rectifier) and I think he mentioned a 5150 or something else massively huge.

In his on-stage tour, he has two Fender re-issues for cleans, a custom made Mesa cab with a Triple Rectifier which he says is his "favorite amp in the world"...

Just watch the vid. He has rediculously huge and expensive equipment, custom made that he actually has to combine to make the sound he wants.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Nov 15, 2008,