I'm in a punk band and we have a solid rhythm guitarist but we are a little new to having lead, we want to have it but aren't really sure how to go about doing it. anyone have any pointers?
You don't need it.

But if you must...

simple tremolo picking, a few bends here and there and wham!

You got a punk solo
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
You don't need it.

But if you must...

simple tremolo picking, a few bends here and there and wham!

You got a punk solo

yea thats basically it
listen to sum 41 theyre punk and they got a leadd guitarist. listen to the song "the hell song", its got a nice punk solo
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Swap-Meet
don't listen to the morons that posted above me.

2 guitars in a punk band usually leads to the lead guitar playing simple catchy/melodic riffs. They also often harmonize and sometimes imitate the vocals.

Youre the moron

Punk isn't and never was about musicianship: it was quite the opposite. Punk was a rebellion against music, fashion and society. Thats why you have short songs with 3 chords played fast: it was a rebllion against the rock of the 1970's who mplayed long songs with high levels of musicianship and skill. Punk is raw, punk is loud and punk is fast.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Youre the moron

Punk isn't and never was about musicianship: it was quite the opposite. Punk was a rebellion against music, fashion and society. Thats why you have short songs with 3 chords played fast: it was a rebllion against the rock of the 1970's who mplayed long songs with high levels of musicianship and skill. Punk is raw, punk is loud and punk is fast.

And that's why the good punk bands became bad after they actually learned how to play. Which I believe is 1 of the reasons it went so fast.

Melodic solo's is punk-ROCK not true punk.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Are we arguing about music Genre's here, or shall we try to answer this guys question?

You're adding a lead guitar to an already established band?

As already stated, why not have him/her playing a simple riff over your rhythm chords. Then in the chorus he can simply play the same as rhythm to pack it out abit and make it more heavy/loud.

Another thing I've been known to do is simply play the same chord, but in another position (you'll get a slightly different sound) or an octave higher. Simple Triads (the 3 notes of a chord) also sound good when played on the highest 3 strings over the normal chords.

Add solos if you feel the songs need/ want them, not JUST because you now have a lead guitarist.

There are tons of options, I hope these have helped you a little
we're not going to solve the question 'what is authentic punk?', because even the people who were the 'original' punks had different ideas about what it was all about... some people thought it was about expressing yourself regardless of what other people thought, and regardless of how technically advanced you were, in ANY style of music... others thought it was about playing loud, hard & simple rock music... others thought it was a political state of mind etc.. others thought it was about clothes, mostly

if Joe Strummer, Sid Vicious and Johnny Ramone could have radically different ideas about what punk was all about, don't any here DARE tell me they know the TRUE meaning of punk, because there is no right or wrong answer

this is even before we get onto what people nowadays think is 'punk'... Sum 41 or Blink 182 isn't punk to me personally, but that's just ME and my idea

anyway... 'punk lead guitar' should probably emphasize aggression & simplicity over showcasing technical skills... your job is to underline what the song is ABOUT, or at least, play counterpoint (small 'c') to the vocals... punk lead guitar should probably be EGO-LESS, in that it diverges from tradition rock guitar in that the guitar solo is NOT about showing off your technique, or trying to grab the limelight and hopefully get some p***y afterwards as result... it's about serving the song and the mood (like all good guitar playing)
out of here
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Youre the moron

lol, so I guess Black FLag or Dayglo Abortions aren't real punk bands, neither is total chaos? Greg Ginn, The Cretin, and Shawn Smash are great guitar players, and don't always play incredibly simple riffs. It sounds like your describing the majority of the 80's hardcore scene, not the one that The Stooges, MC5, the Ramones, and the rest of those early punk bands that were apart of the early punk scene.

Punk rock is the genre. Punk is the adjective/sub culture.

Some great punk bands that have lead guitarists that I would suggest you to listen to so you can get some ideas of how it works is : The Virus, Cheap Sex, Bad Religion (as well as most other melodic/skate punk bands), Evactuation, The Addicts, Rancid, Street Dogs, Rise Against (as well as most other melodic hardcore bands)
Quote by Swap-Meet
lol, so I guess Black FLag or Dayglo Abortions aren't real punk bands, neither is total chaos?

Nope.
There is no such thing as punk; let's clarify that point before we proceed.

It's going to be up to you how to play your solos. Can you play solos in another setting? Can you play a blues solo or a shred solo?

The entire New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement and Metallica's Kill 'em All are based on those "punk" bands in the 70s, as is the thrash genre of metal in general. Perhaps you should try playing some solos like Maiden or Slayer or Testament. Or perhaps your band is playing more of the 90s Blink-182 type of music: pop-punk. The only solo I can think of from that genre is SR-71's Right Now, which is a fairly challenging solo. I suppose you could stick Sum 41 in that genre as well, but their songs with real solos aren't indicative of the pop-punk genre; they're just 90s rock songs (or whenever those guys were around...I consider all the music like that that came out bewteen my birth and when I started high school to be the 90s, despite that interval being 1987-2002).
check out the clash's dual guitar work in Spanish Bombs or Tommy Gun - Mick Jones usually would play a simple melody over Joe Strummer's vocals. The solo in Tommy Gun is a fantastic punk solo. The solo in God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols is brilliant too.
Quote by holycow
listen to sum 41 theyre punk and they got a leadd guitarist. listen to the song "the hell song", its got a nice punk solo

that's no punk.. it's punkrock, nothing more that that.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Swap-Meet
lol, so I guess Black FLag or Dayglo Abortions aren't real punk bands, neither is total chaos? Greg Ginn, The Cretin, and Shawn Smash are great guitar players, and don't always play incredibly simple riffs. It sounds like your describing the majority of the 80's hardcore scene, not the one that The Stooges, MC5, the Ramones, and the rest of those early punk bands that were apart of the early punk scene.

Punk rock is the genre. Punk is the adjective/sub culture.

Some great punk bands that have lead guitarists that I would suggest you to listen to so you can get some ideas of how it works is : The Virus, Cheap Sex, Bad Religion (as well as most other melodic/skate punk bands), Evactuation, The Addicts, Rancid, Street Dogs, Rise Against (as well as most other melodic hardcore bands)

No, theyre hardcore

there's a difference
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Swap-Meet
hardcore = hardcore punk

and total chaos is street punk, not hardcore.

the punk suffix was never included
and yes street punk if you'll call it taht is the correct term
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Better answer: Don't be a genre whore. Carefully consider what you want the song to sound like, and then play it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Better answer: Don't be a genre whore. Carefully consider what you want the song to sound like, and then play it.
This

If you just so happen to write in a genre the media calls punk, so be it. But otherwise, don't genre whore (I like that term)
Quote by FP
Learn enough theory to know what key you're in, take a simple melody and repeat it over simple chords. Sorted.
Yep. Try making a short melody that lasts for one measure, repeat it verbatim each measure while the underlying chord changes. Makes the melody seem like it's almost changing but it's not, it's a cool effect.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i may not have agreed with everything you've said in the past but......

Quote by inflatablefilth

this is even before we get onto what people nowadays think is 'punk'... Sum 41 or Blink 182 isn't punk to me personally, but that's just ME and my idea

+1
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There is no such thing as punk; let's clarify that point before we proceed.

are you f#cking high? what are the sex pistols? the ramones? dead kennedys? dropkick murphys?
Quote by Gordita Supreme
Punk?

I'd say some 6 string sweep taps in a harmonic minor key...

yes, sweep taps is what rancid is known for.
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by holycow

Yeah thats a good example, or you could check out the thing on my profile entitled, "Pop Punk Thing"

Its the intro/ bridge to a song that I'm currently writing for my band. It has a lead part played over some chords.
Last edited by Souls United at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
are you f#cking high? what are the sex pistols? the ramones? dead kennedys? dropkick murphys?
I don't do drugs, punk rock, punk rock, punk rock, and a band that had their only cool riff featured in The Departed, respectively.

There is no such thing as punk culture or music anymore; presently, it's a joke (I don't care for punk rock, but I'll respect the old bands for having a big influence on thrash).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
, punk rock, punk rock, punk rock, and a band that had their only cool riff featured in The Departed, respectively.

i disagree, but thats a case of we'll have to agree to disagree.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

There is no such thing as punk culture or music anymore; presently, it's a joke (I don't care for punk rock, but I'll respect the old bands for having a big influence on thrash).

we can both agree on this. green day and blink 182 are not punk. its pop with guitars and whiney singers (at best)
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Youre the moron

You're a moron too. I was going to tell you off, but this guy already did it for me.

Quote by inflatablefilth
we're not going to solve the question 'what is authentic punk?', because even the people who were the 'original' punks had different ideas about what it was all about... some people thought it was about expressing yourself regardless of what other people thought, and regardless of how technically advanced you were, in ANY style of music... others thought it was about playing loud, hard & simple rock music... others thought it was a political state of mind etc.. others thought it was about clothes, mostly

if Joe Strummer, Sid Vicious and Johnny Ramone could have radically different ideas about what punk was all about, don't any here DARE tell me they know the TRUE meaning of punk, because there is no right or wrong answer

anyway... 'punk lead guitar' should probably emphasize aggression & simplicity over showcasing technical skills... your job is to underline what the song is ABOUT, or at least, play counterpoint (small 'c') to the vocals... punk lead guitar should probably be EGO-LESS, in that it diverges from tradition rock guitar in that the guitar solo is NOT about showing off your technique, or trying to grab the limelight and hopefully get some p***y afterwards as result... it's about serving the song and the mood (like all good guitar playing)

This is the most intelligent post on this subject I've ever read. It sums up what I was planning to post. The only thing I disagree with is that I don't think it should necessarily emphasize agression and simplicity. It can also be fairly complex, (though not necessarily difficult or technical) such as in the case of Television.

TS, name some bands whose sounds you want to emulate. Your original post is a little vague.
Quote by z4twenny
i disagree, but thats a case of we'll have to agree to disagree.

we can both agree on this. green day and blink 182 are not punk. its pop with guitars and whiney singers (at best)

A lot of Ramones songs are just pop with distorted guitar. The Bay City Rollers were a huge influence on them. Green Day was part of the Gilman St. scene in San Francisco along with Operation Ivy and a bunch of other bands whose punxness is not disputed. I don't like Blink so I know very little about their history but I don't think it's our place to judge their genre absolutely and claim that other people's opinions are wrong. Joe Strummer mentioned Blink 182 in an interview several years ago, citing them as a "new punk band" or something along those lines.
Why doesn't everyone just shut up, stop arguing, and start discussing how insightful my advice was.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 17, 2008,