Okay. I'm out for a new bass, and was browing an online trading site, and I came across 2 basses, both being sold by the same guy for the same price - An '06 Highway Jazz and an '02 American Standard P, both for $1000 AUD which is a great price down here, even for used.

Now I'm liking the Jazz and I prefer Jazzes more, but would the quality of the American P be worlds better than the Highway? I have the option to try them out, but I will have no idea what to look for in the basses.

Sorry for all the text, and thanks for your help!
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
I'd get the jazz if you like it way more, but the P if you only prefer it somewhat.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have an 08 Highway One. I like it a lot, but I prefer Jazz necks to P necks. What year did the Highway One's get revamped? If it was after that one was made, I think I'd get the P.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by fishbass
but would the quality of the American P be worlds better than the Highway?

In short, no, not worlds away. A few minor tweaks in hardware and electronics maybe, but not worlds. If you prefer jazz's, get the jazz. You could wait around for a used MIA jazz, but $1000 australian ($647 American) is not even a bad price here in the states. I'd go for it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
In short, no, not worlds away. A few minor tweaks in hardware and electronics maybe, but not worlds. If you prefer jazz's, get the jazz. You could wait around for a used MIA jazz, but $1000 australian ($647 American) is not even a bad price here in the states. I'd go for it.

thats the exchange? wow. nice deal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Very nice deal.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Thats a nice deal you got yourself. Is that new or second hand. But anyway i would go with the jazz its more versatile and i ,ike them better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If you like the jazz, get the jazz. The quality is not very different between the two. Go try them out first though, there might a reason he's/she's selling them so cheaply.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Just to clarify, the American Standar is actually the Highway One, except EVERYTHING is better. Is it world's better? Maybe not, but it's definitely the worth the price deferential. But that's not really what you're talking about here. I say, if you really like jazz basses, get the H1. They're great basses. The only thing is that I don't think they had the Badass bridges on them in '06. I can't really remember though.
The upgrade of the Highway 1's were in '06 so you've either got one 'just' post-upgrade or one pre-upgrade. Make sure its an upgraded one 'cause you get about $100 of improvements (maybe more, not sure) included in the same price.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
with what rywad said, I can't recall anything else in 06 that they tweaked other than the Bad Ass II bridge. That's what I like about the Highway Ones these days.

That being said, the only differances I can think of off hand is the finish on the body and neck, the electronics and the work done on the frets and nut. You're more likely to get a highway one with poor fretting than a normal MIA. But, honestly, the Bad Ass II stock is pretty cool. Fender should just stop making their own bass bridges and permanantly outsource to Leo Quan for all their basses, Squier MIK through Special Deluxe MIA.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
with what rywad said, I can't recall anything else in 06 that they tweaked other than the Bad Ass II bridge. That's what I like about the Highway Ones these days.

That being said, the only differances I can think of off hand is the finish on the body and neck, the electronics and the work done on the frets and nut. You're more likely to get a highway one with poor fretting than a normal MIA. But, honestly, the Bad Ass II stock is pretty cool. Fender should just stop making their own bass bridges and permanantly outsource to Leo Quan for all their basses, Squier MIK through Special Deluxe MIA.

this would be awesome. I agree.
+1
I'm pretty sure Leo Quan would be pleased with this arrangement.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Also apparently other than the BA2 on the newer Highway ones its a thin nitro finish that would probably wear to give a 'worn' look quickly, ummm and some other pretty minor things such as the 70's styled headstock and stuff.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I'd go for the Hwy 1 Jazz
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Personally I'd go for the MIA P-bass it'll hold it's value better and you could probably sell it for more when it comes to it. But... I'm a fan of P's so I would take that over a jazz anyyways.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

The finish on the Highway One may be ugly to some (like wax, really), and it's very fragile compared to the USA model. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, if the MIA had the graphite neck rods, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, but since it's an '02, the difference isn't that great. But it still stands - I think the MIA is a better deal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The finish on the Highway One may be ugly to some (like wax, really), and it's very fragile compared to the USA model. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, if the MIA had the graphite neck rods, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, but since it's an '02, the difference isn't that great. But it still stands - I think the MIA is a better deal.

I really like the finish on Highway Ones. Makes it look very cool.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
I really like the finish on Highway Ones. Makes it look very cool.

^^^Me too, I love the finishes, not super glossy, they just look awesome
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk