Okay, So, I'm going to do this. All I wanna know, is what kind of woods give what kind of tones?

I know Alder, Ash, and Mahogany are all used pretty often in guitars, so Tell me if I'm right about this:

Alder:Bright-ish tone
Mahogany: Neutral tone

And for Ash, I actually have no idea... So could you fill me in on this? I'm going to make one that is good for like... Ska and Hardcore Punk. I realise that it is mostly about the pickups, but I also havebeen told that wood makes a difference, too.

Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Mahogany generally gives a warmer tone. The Les Paul is a perfect example of this. Mahogany body, flame maple top on 90% of them lol.

Most heavy rock and lead guitars will be mahogany, but again...it is preference.

if you like the sound of a fender, do ash or something similar

if you like the sound of a gibson, do mahogany

No, im not saying these are the only 2...but the most common by far.

I really like the tone from Walnut guitars, but i dont see that very often lol.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Okay, Thanks. Are all fenders usually like Alder? (I know thats what the HSS is...) Are the Telecasters alder too? I thought I read somewhere one time where one was made out of Mahogany...

All I know, Is I have invinted possibly one of the most ****ed up genres ever.

It's MAINLY a mixture of Ska and Hardcore, but, as weird as it is, (I don't wanna hear any shit about this, either) in some songs that I write, there is even a NewCountry feel to it. Like... They kinda have a Keith Urban/ Brad Paisley thing goin' on.

And so, those ones have completely different tonal requirements. Those ones can have a very Warm, almost dark, 'bridge pickup" sound to them, where the ska songs I write have a very bright, trebly sound to them.

So, the way I see it my options are...

... I would actually prefer the second, since it will be cheaper... So... Yeah

What is a neutral wood?
      With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by LP Addict
      NO.

if you liek the sound of a gibson, do a set neck. if you liek the sound of a fender, do a bolt on.

for punk, id go for alder, bolt on, with really cheap muddy pickups.

agreed
      Quote by LP Addict
      NO.

if you liek the sound of a gibson, do a set neck. if you liek the sound of a fender, do a bolt on.

Im not so sure mate, I did an ash RG with a set neck, TOM and EMG's a while ago and it just sounds like a massive fat strat with more sustain.

I did one out of mahogany with virtually identical shape/parts/construction/pickup and theres a massive difference is sound.

I might do some sound clips this week with em both
      probably because your neck joints are flawless, atleast in pictures they appear to be, im sure they are planed flat. gibson? no, they just route it and slather some shitty wood glue in and call it aday, leaving lots of microscopic gaps and imperfections that dampen the tone.
      The joys of photoshop! nah, seriously though I do try and get em tighter than a nuns cu......
      I've kind of got my own little way of doing it and it works for me.

Gonna do some sound clips of the rosewood one this week too, plus I bought nearly £800 worth of rosewood so expect to see plenty of them in the future. . . . .
      wow, that's quiiiite a bit of rosewood...!

TS, if you've got shop skills, then use JS's concept. If you're new to it, use LP's.
      ------

Shwiggity.
      £800 of rosewood? SEND ME SOME!!! Please?

(I am planning on a rose wood neck in the future, which I will probably get from you )

Quote by dogismycopilot
      Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
      Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
      Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
      lol, thats probably gonna be enough for 4 maybe 5 guitars. If you do want some PM me, its not cheap though. Thats all Indian rosewood but I do have a very small amount of Brazilian rosewood thats big enough for 3 or 4 start type necks but thats silly money.
      Alder - good all-round, and pretty neutral + super-easy to work with and relatively light.

Ash - almost identical to alder in weight, but slightly attenuated highs, and a bit warmer.

Mahogany - very warm, with tonnes of bottom end and muted highs + heavy as hell.

Edit: I'd probably only use ash if the figure's important, because I LOVE the grain - especially swamp ash.
      Okay. I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna do like... a strat style body, but I'm gonna add a few details. And I have one more question. I might decide to use Lace sensors in it. Cuz I'm going to do one humbucker, and two single coils, like an HSS. And so, I was wondering, which Lace Sensors do I need for which position? The Humbucker is going to be at the bridge, of course... All I know is there are Blue ones, Red ones, and silver/White ones... They all have different tones. Will those be good, or should I go with something completely different?