I'm thinking of adding a "dark switch" on my guitar. I'm using a strat with a 5 way, 2 tones and 1 volume. I'm using 500k pots since I like the brightness and the cap values on my controls are fairly low since I like brightness. Sometimes it's too bright and for lead tones I sometimes can't dial out enough highs on my neck pup. I know I could increase the value on the cap, but I like the way it sounds most of the time and I think my next idea would be more versatile.

A dark swtich, basically and on on switch that chose between the straight through signal, and a cap of some value that will darken the tone of the whole guitar, I think it's something like the "sweet spot" control some PRS guitars had. Any idea how I'd wire this up?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've heard of a guitar that had only one control: a tone "switch" that selected either a fender-style or gibson-style tone circuit.

What I think you could do is have the switch to choose from 2 different capacitors attached to the tone control.
I can't really draw a diagram now, but the two caps would share the same ground, and there would be a switch between the middle lug of the pot and the caps.

I think you'd need a DPDT to select caps on both tone controls with one switch. Not sure about that, though. I get confused with switch names.
Quote by sashki
I've heard of a guitar that had only one control: a tone "switch" that selected either a fender-style or gibson-style tone circuit.

What I think you could do is have the switch to choose from 2 different capacitors attached to the tone control.
I can't really draw a diagram now, but the two caps would share the same ground, and there would be a switch between the middle lug of the pot and the caps.

I think you'd need a DPDT to select caps on both tone controls with one switch. Not sure about that, though. I get confused with switch names.

I was thinking this, but just an SPDT would do.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Yeah, I don't need two caps, I just need it to select either the straight through signal or select the cap, so an SPDT would be best.

I don't really need a diagram per se, but I wouldn't know where to wire this in. Maybe between the hot wire to the output jack?
What you could do is get a very low-value cap and wire it to a SPST switch and wire it to both lugs of the output jack (the switch adds or removes the cap).

You could also use a more common-value cap and a resistor in series.

If you use, say, a .022uF cap alone, it'll just be a treble dump, like the tone on 0 (or 1). A very low value cap won't shunt too many highs. A resistor in series with a .022uF will be like the tone pot on, say, 8 or something (depending on the resistor value).

Idk. Just throwing it out there.
^I think I see where you're going, but would you mind drawing me a simple diagram?

I understand what you're saying about the treble dump, but I'm wanting to lose a fair amount of highs since single coils with 500k pots are very bright. Though, I'll probably go with something smaller than a .022uf cap