So for a christmas thing my musical school is doing wizards in winter by Trans Siberian orchestra and Im suppose to play the lead part and it has the things during the chorus were im doing 17 notes a second or something ,and that end solos that fast too ,ive been playing for 2 yrs is this unrealistic?

Edit: Sorry guys its more like 10 9 notes a second sorry I just counted it out while looking at a clock.
Last edited by master_ofmetal at Nov 15, 2008,
well I cant really help but give u that (years Ive played) I dont got anything to record with so ur going to have pretend like im a normal 2 yr guitarist I play metal mostly so if that makes a difference.
Perhaps try and arrange a slightly less complicated part with the conductor?
Once We Were Anarchists
Don't worry about whether you can play that solo or not. Learn what key the song is in, then create your own solo. For example, if the progression being played during the solo is in Em, you could use the Em pentatonic scale to play licks and phrases that you make up. You've got enough time, that if you put in the work, you'll be able to come up with something that will sound cool to your ear. Plus it'll be a good learning experience for you.
Have fun!
Quote by seth's daddy
Don't worry about whether you can play that solo or not. Learn what key the song is in, then create your own solo. For example, if the progression being played during the solo is in Em, you could use the Em pentatonic scale to play licks and phrases that you make up. You've got enough time, that if you put in the work, you'll be able to come up with something that will sound cool to your ear. Plus it'll be a good learning experience for you.
Have fun!

They gave him the music to learn so they might be a bit pissed off if he comes out and plays a totally different, and probably worse (no offence meant, but the composer can probably write better than you), lead part.
Quote by wokketywok
17 notes per second? Thats insane man, learn the solo slowly, and just figure out what the "main theme" and "feel" of the solo is, and just keep that in mind and improvise while still playing parts of the original solo.

So it's like 60% original solo and 40% improvisation, because 17 notes per second is insane. I think John Petrucci can only play like 13.

yeah thinking about it now that guy that played flight of the bumble bee at 320bpm is 21 nps that the world record holder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynUZOJc8QI
Quote by 12345abcd3
They gave him the music to learn so they might be a bit pissed off if he comes out and plays a totally different, and probably worse (no offence meant, but the composer can probably write better than you), lead part.

Well they gave him about a month to learn it, so I don't think they have any right to be angry. For a 2 year player, a month to learn what sounds like a very difficult Trans-Siberian Orchestra solo is way too hefty.

EDIT:
On topic, learn what you can of the original solo. Anything you can't play, try and write something similar or nick something from a song you know how to play that sounds like it works.
The TSO guitar players are classically-trained virtuosos. Unless you're a phenom, you're effed in the eh.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by wokketywok
because 17 notes per second is insane. I think John Petrucci can only play like 13.

If that's true, than I can play faster than John Petrucci (Which I highly doubt).
The solo is played with the piano like the same notes were playing the same thing. soo I dont really have an option of just making something up. my questions i dont even know if we have pianist that plays that fast
Quote by Guitar Guy21
What's the tempo of the song on your music?

144 bpm and Im playing 16th notes
Quote by master_ofmetal

Ok, that's a bit more reasonable. 17 nps is really hauling ass. I don't know your current playing ability, or the piece so I can't really say whether it's realistic.

I'd say that if you are currently capable of that speed (9.5'ish nps, not 17!) on other stuff and the piece has no techniques that you're not very good at yet, then it's more or less just a matter of learning it, and you can probably do it if you work hard.

Be sure to keep each part slow until you've learned it. It sticks so much better when you do the learning part slow, and don't speed up until you've got the notes under your fingers.

If you're more than about 10 bpm off speed-wise or there are techniques that give you trouble, then you probably have to be honest with yourself. 5 or 6 weeks is enough time to learn something well, but if you have to learn it and make substantial improvements in your playing in order to bring it up to performance quality then it's a pretty tall order.

Good luck, either way.
TS it depends, we know nothing about how fast u learn or how often u play guitar. The replies given are purely based on the average Joe.

Not to mention; If you can play a pentatonic lick in 16th at 120bpm, doesn't mean u can play string skipped 3 note per string licks at the same speed.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It's not that bad. The riff is only around 9.5 nps, which isn't slow, but it isn't Paganini, either. The riffs are straightforward; there are no tricks thrown in like big sweeps or string-skipping sections.

If you spend an hour every day on that and maybe an additional hour on days you don't have school, you'll be far exceeding the 144bpm tempo by mid-December.

You do have to practice, though.

I just looked at my tab. It certainly isn't easy, but if you have the skill to think you could do it in the first place, you'll be able to fly through it by the time you need to with a few hours of practice every week.

The fact that you've been playing for 2 years doesn't matter. Someone could be able to play that after 9 months if they practiced 5+ hours/day from the beginning, and I was nowhere near that level after 2 years.
thanks se012101, I cam play at half speed really easily right now so I think ill keep om working and see what happens but one of the harder things is there all like little scale things but they appear in like 3 different types so some sections are just running up in down 8 notes while others are jus a totally down scale witht that thing were u go

12-10---------10
---------13 12------13-12-10-13-10-10
-----------------------------------------------12 etc...
and others section kinda similar so I have to work on multiple sections which makes this even harder.
Last edited by master_ofmetal at Nov 15, 2008,
Practice with metronome slowly and build up each day and also try some sequencing exercises with scales as it is very similar to the and riff that is pretty quick
Dude! There is this guy in FLORIDA - USA, his name is Patrick Powell and
He plays 21 notes per second on the guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!! 21 notes per second on electric guitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With Alternate Picking, economy picking, every other type of picking man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's insane!!!!!

I could not believe what I heard or what I saw!!!!!!!!
I'm still in SHOCK!!!!
And then after KICKING EVERYBODY'S BUTTSSSSSSS he politely says:
Ooooh I'm just a humble guitarist!!!!!!!!!!

<<< at least he is humble >>>

Me and some friends are trying to convince him to teach us how to do all that and he says that he cannot reveal it now!!!!! Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said that he will be recording his first CD, videos and going on a World Tour in 2010 and then 10 years later he will reveal his technique entirely to schools and universities because he doesn't want guitarists suffering with technical problems anymore. And then I asked him: So why don't you end our suffering now???????
He says that he wants to enjoy his Scientific discoveries for at least 10 years before before he reveals it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the guy playing FASTER THAN RUSTY COOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw him playing Rusty Cooley's licks faster than him but with Malmsteen's style of picking with tiny movements of index finger and thumb but EXTREMELY LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!!! He played Malmsteen's Far Beyond the Sun and Little Savage like if it was nothing dude!!!!!

He said that he would soon have a page on myspace, his own webpage, CDs, videos coming out and etc...

I'm already his fan!!!!!

I will follow this guy FOREVER wherever he goes!!!!!!!!
It seems pretty much unrealistic for anyone, considering you just got it within the past week. Unless, that is, you just want it to...erm...sound like sh*t? I doubt you want that eh?

EDIT: Woa! Sue! You changed your avatar!

Guess I'll have to change my sig so "Proud Advanced Techniques regular" ehh?
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by master_ofmetal

I did the math, comes out to 9.6 notes per second. you can probably do it with some practice.