Ok so im getting into Opeth and their jazzy stuff but i cant seem to dial in a good sound for the solos (mainly the ones from Windowpane). I have a Line6 Spider III and i think the crunch and or blues channel would be a good place to start.

Any input?
You will definitely need a higher gain/lead preset to do this.

before all the spider haterrs get in here.

I really think that you might be able to get a decent lead tone from the spider that could come mildly close to opeth's lead.....

Start with a lead preset and all knobs at half. Tweak from there boosting mids first and increasing bass a little bit, followed by treble a little bit...this should get you there easier.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Which Channel do you think would be a good place to start on for the lead? It already has a clean preset tone for Opeth(and its pretty good).
Start at clean preset for Opeth then. I know Mikael uses his neck pickup as well. But after that just start with all knobs at 5 and tweak em till its close.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Opeth is not jazz. Nor is their tone.
i came here thinking, "finally, im not the only real jazz player (that i know of) on this forum anymore. and then i open it only to find it has absolutely nothing to do with jazz.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It's definitely not jazz.
Quote by chea_man
i came here thinking, "finally, im not the only real jazz player (that i know of) on this forum anymore. and then i open it only to find it has absolutely nothing to do with jazz.

I'm a real jazz player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2TSFtppNSE
that is Jazz

Opeth's windowpane is jazz influenced but not quite the same thing as you can tell. For that kind of lead sound you would probably want to use the blues preset on the Spider and pull some mids up and a little bit of bass. that might get you close.
Sig What?
True, opeth isn't jazz, they're folk metal, but either help the guy or GTFO!

A ton of their tone is coming from their mahogany singlecut PRS guitars. This is one of those times when the tone factor is like 50% guitar 50% amp.

For the cleans cut the mids up rather high, bass about 50-70%, treble back to around 30-50, and adjust with your guitars tone knob.

Their distortion tone would probably sound best with the gain on metal cut back to about 50%, again, lots of mids, not so much bass because it will mud up quick, and adjust ithe the treble knob as well. For leads use reverb.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think he meant "jazzy" as in tone wise for their cleans. I am a HUGE opeth fan, and when I hear their clean tone the first thing I think is "hm, jazzy..." lol, relax guys. But if you do check out some of their stuff, a lot of their clean leads and even the chord melodies have a lot of jazz influence.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by MESAexplorer
True, opeth isn't jazz, they're folk metal

Wrong again.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Wrong again.

I know I am not wrong there, they are widely reguarded as folk metal. They have some prog, acoustic, ambient, jazz, and blues mixed in as well, but I know for a fact they are considered to have huge folk overtones and themes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
True, opeth isn't jazz, they're folk metal, but either help the guy or GTFO!

A ton of their tone is coming from their mahogany singlecut PRS guitars. This is one of those times when the tone factor is like 50% guitar 50% amp.

For the cleans cut the mids up rather high, bass about 50-70%, treble back to around 30-50, and adjust with your guitars tone knob.

Their distortion tone would probably sound best with the gain on metal cut back to about 50%, again, lots of mids, not so much bass because it will mud up quick, and adjust ithe the treble knob as well. For leads use reverb.

Omg you just made my day. That got me a great lead tone for this song !! thank you so much!
opeth's soft stuff is progressive rock, as most people will say. for the clean tone, the advice i will give you is to not use too much treble, because line 6 spider's clean channel has a ton of sparklish qualities. for clean, turn the mids knob until you've got what you want, and keep the bass at 5 or 6.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Opeth is a mix of everything, which is why I love em. Death/Progressive metal, while their clean passages have a LOT of blues and jazz influenced stuff. And like MESAExplorer said, lots of folk influence as well. Mikael even said it himself that he listened to a lot of 60's psychedelic rock during the making of Watershed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Wait...

Opeth and jazz? Am I missing something?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.