Alright, I'm looking at two tube amps. Both with 12" speakers, both from the same brand. The main difference is one is a Crate V18, $150, Class-A 18 watts, the other is a Crate V50, $200 ($50 more for those unable to do math. ;P ) and is Class-AB 50 watts. I know Class-A is generally louder than an AB amp with the same wattage, but it's a 32-watt difference, I'd be amazed if it can compensate for that difference. Anyway, I was wondering what tonal differences I could expect with single-coils, and about how much louder the louder of the two would be, and if it's worth my extra $50 to get the V50.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by no_thing101
i think class A is generally regarded as better

Nope, class A/B is generally regarded as more efficiant, pretty much all valve amps of gigging wattage will be class A/B. For some reason or other, i wouldnt worry about class, its nothing most people would be able to pick up on.
Quote by beckyjc
Nope, class A/B is generally regarded as more efficiant, pretty much all valve amps of gigging wattage will be class A/B. For some reason or other, i wouldnt worry about class, its nothing most people would be able to pick up on.

Agreed. I don't even think the V18 is a a class A amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Agreed. I don't even think the V18 is a a class A amp.
That'd be because it isn't.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
A/B is more efficient, hence also louder, A is supposed to give a "purer" tone.

That doesn't mean its better, btw. Regardless of what audiophiles and advertisements say about class A, I think you should be the one to decide which sounds better.

The V50 will probably be significantly louder.
^ +1

try both of them (if at all possible) and buy the one you like best...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sashki
A/B is more efficient, hence also louder, A is supposed to give a "purer" tone.

thats what i meant. i dont think louder means better and 18 watts is plenty for pub gigs.