I currently have a standard Squier SE Special Strat that came in one of those bulls**t "Stop dreaming, start playing" packs. I am wondering how I can upgrade it with about $100 AUD to make it sound better. I am getting a VOX AD15VT Amp so I want my guitar to sound nice too.

What are some good picks that I can get cheap, my fender medium picks shave on the string and I get red powder all over my pickups/pickguard. Also is it possible to cheaply install a killswitch on a strat?
u should save that 100 dollars up and get a better guitar with it eventually. For now, get a lot of different size/shape picks to see what fits you. Beginners usually prefer lighter picks.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
The thing is that is it for Christmas. My mum set a limit of 450 dollars for guitar gear for Christmas and the amp is 350 so I have 100 left. My mum wont give me cash, she will just keep it.
Hey dude
put the $100 as a deposit on a les paul, then bitch and moan to your mum
to pay it off, then get a dumb girlfriend ,sweet talk her for a week and get her to buy you a marshall plexi, dump her and you got the best guitar sound ever
Oh and dont forget to get an extra long strap or you`ll look like a noob.
Save your thanks , I know I`m right
I think you'd be wasting your money upgrading that guitar, but there's every chance that you'll be pleasently surprised how good your "bull***t" guitar sounds when plugged into that amp.

So maybe think about getting some fun stuff (books? Straps? Whatever) to the value of $100. Another option is to put the extra $100 towards an amp and get the AD30VT instead of the 15?
Quote by Jaksar
I think you'd be wasting your money upgrading that guitar, but there's every chance that you'll be pleasently surprised how good your "bull***t" guitar sounds when plugged into that amp.

So maybe think about getting some fun stuff (books? Straps? Whatever) to the value of $100. Another option is to put the extra $100 towards an amp and get the AD30VT instead of the 15?

+1

Just buy $100 of Purple Tortex 1.14mm picks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Or use the $100 to buy the Tex Mex pickups which through that amp will make your guitar sound even tastier? :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I was looking at getting pickups but I couldn't find any cheap good ones. I also want one of those mirror pickguards and some new strings
Hey, man, don't upgrade a squier. I still have my old one. Not only is it fairly difficult (as they were not exactly PRODUCED for upgrading) but it's also a waste of money. Spend the 100 dollars on things that will help you play, IE various picks, BOOKS (I stress this), maybe a cool strap, chords, get some good strings on it, etc. But don't upgrade it. When you're a more experienced player later on down the road, you'll wish you had used the money for something more constructive.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Buy some spare packs of strings? A string winder (Pfff, who needs them? )? GHS Fast Fret?
Fast fret, man, good choice. Forgot to mention that. Finger ease, too. Both are excellent products.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
installing a killswitch yourself is easy.. paying for it to be done on a squire strat not worth it. Id say start modding it yourself then you have an excuse to make a new thread in the customization forum

I hope those picks came with something, cause I dont understand why people buy fender picks when they all do the same crap (leave crap all over the place)
Quote by cruc1a7
installing a killswitch yourself is easy.. paying for it to be done on a
I hope those picks came with something, cause I dont understand why people buy fender picks when they all do the same crap (leave crap all over the place)

I got a few for free with my fender tuner.
if its a must spend $100, sweet talk ya mum into getting you a better amp, you wont be happy with 15w.

tell her that the PIT demands her to get the AD30VT, as its the best thing to do with the extra money shes willing to spend.

if that makes sense... if shes cool with it, then just get the greater amp (Y)

OR. a distortion pedal or something, dunno if the VOX will satisfy that side of the woods. or a wah or something to screw around on.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
if its a must spend $100, sweet talk ya mum into getting you a better
OR. a distortion pedal or something, dunno if the VOX will satisfy that side of the woods. or a wah or something to screw around on.

Im getting the VOX pedal that can be used with the valvetronics amps. It is an extra 40 dollars and then that with my strings, some good picks and new amp lead it will come to around $100.
picks cost squid. like 50c each.
(i use dunlop nylon 2mm's, and there very moderate. good starting point imo, you can go thicker and thinner.)

so thatsa 40$ pedal, 15$ strings 5$ picks and a $40 lead. thats a decent lead.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by AnOblivion
Hey, man, don't upgrade a squier. I still have my old one. Not only is it fairly difficult (as they were not exactly PRODUCED for upgrading) but it's also a waste of money. Spend the 100 dollars on things that will help you play, IE various picks, BOOKS (I stress this), maybe a cool strap, chords, get some good strings on it, etc. But don't upgrade it. When you're a more experienced player later on down the road, you'll wish you had used the money for something more constructive.

I strongly agree. I use to have a Squier. In all honesty, it was a decent guitar to screw around with and when you listen to RHCP you really wanna pick it up and get the John Frusciante sound. But I really wouldn't upgrade it. A Fender = of course. A Fender is made of different wood, instead of the Squier ply.

Song-Book wise, go to your local guitar store or like Guitar Center and pick up a book or two that you really wanna jump into and learn some tunes from.

Get a nice strap. STRAP LOCKS.

Picks.

Strings (I personally use Elixirs because they last quite a while (special coating). The NanoWeb Elixirs aren't as bassy as the PolyWeb.) D'Addario strings are eh. Ernie Ball strings are eh. If you're lookin' for cheap strings but want a bunch of them, go for the EB's or D'Addario. Elixirs run for about $10-$12. Like I stated, I use em and love em.

String cleaner. Fretboard conditioner (for between string changes).

Cable.
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2