I've played occasionally for a few years, and got serious since the beginning of the summer. At this point, I know a few arrangements, can play bars on most of the neck quickly and without buzzing, and can sing along with playing (gee, that was a real killer )

I've been playing my dad's well aged and well cared for Martin D28--it sounds fantastic, but I find myself usually playing with no pick or a thumbpick to get that slightly muted, sweeter sound of the pad of fingers.

There's a D35 a few thousand miles away sitting in storage that, if I can get someone to properly ship it, would always be available for my playing. On the other hand, should I look at possibly acquiring a nylon string classical or flamenco (for the lower action) to get the type of sound that I find myself squeezing out of metal strings? There isn't a decent music store within a two hour drive, so I thought I'd ask around here before making the trip to see for myself.
Quote by dylanmance
Im in your exact opposite situation,i desperatly need steel string guitar, I personally hate the sound that nylon strings give off,even when i do play classical. Steel strings dominate for good reason,they're better.

Can you be a bit more specific (examples, etc)?
well, I have both sorts of guitars, but keep in mind that my steel string is of a higher quality than my nylon.

they both have different sounds for everything you do. I find the nylon is much easier to play fingerstyle on, as the strings are spaced farther apart, and the nylon is much easier on your fingers, although you probably already have the calluses to handle playing steel string fingerstyle. I also find that my steel string sounds a lot better when I'm strumming anything, and anytime I use a pick.

I would go to your local guitar store and play some nylons and see what you think, it depends a lot on what kind of sound you want.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Steel strings dominate for good reason,they're better.

Better? They're neither better nor worse.

TS, have you ever tried a classical? I recommend you go out to a store an try one out. Actually, try tons of them out. See if you really do like the tone, if you like the feel (which is very different) if you can see yourself doing gigs in the future with one nylon, steel or both. You gotta try try try!
Quote by dylanmance
Im in your exact opposite situation,i desperatly need steel string guitar, I personally hate the sound that nylon strings give off,even when i do play classical. Steel strings dominate for good reason,they're better.

One of the most mis-informed posts I've read on this board in a long time.

Segovia is rolling over in his grave right about now... geez... he could have been such a better player if he had a decent instrument with proper strings, couldn't he?

And that nice bright 'plink-plink' sound of the steel strings was exactly what Bach had in mind when he wrote his lute suites, surely.

If price is a measure of quality (which granted, it isn't entirely, but....), my classical guitar is better than both of my electric guitars put together, and my acoustic guitar about 4-5 times over.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I used to play classical, but after I decided to pick up guitar again 8 years later, I bought a steel string because it's more versatile. I did pick up a few classicals at the store, and was amazed by the sweet, SWEET tone. I miss that tone. Sometimes I hit the high E on my guitar and cringe...
Different tools for different jobs....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Different tools for different jobs....

Exactly.

I wouldn't play bossa nova on a steel string but on the other hand, Bert Jansch sounds pretty naff on my classical guitar. It's foolish to say that one type of guitar is better than the other.
Quote by dylanmance
Sorry, i missed the bit where it was in my own opinion and not an actual fact.

I think you mean to say that you *personally prefer* steel strings. Because if you think steel strings are *better* than nylon, then in my opinion you are still leaving yourself open for ridicule.
Quote by dylanmance
Steel strings dominate for good reason,they're better.

No, this is clearly stated with the intention of being interpreted as a fact. You are suggesting this is a 'universal truth' by suggesting that the markets overwhelmingly agree too.

Nothing in this statement comes even close to suggesting an individual's point of view.

CT