Hello all

Here are my computer specifications:
Intel Pentium 4 2.00GHz
512MB of DDR RAM memory
nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 card (64mb).

I get quite low performance (frame rate) on games such as Call of Duty 2 and GTA: San Andreas, and I believe that the graphics card is causing a bottleneck effect.

The mainboard has an AGP 4x port, will 8x card work?
Also, what card would you suggest? A GeForce FX5500, FX5200 or a GeForce 6200?

I'm not expecting to play any advanced games on high graphic settings, just playing games such as those I've mentioned above on average setting with a decent frame rate.

Thanks for any help!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

Thoughts about new naked airport scanner?

^
Quote by nightraven
brb applying for job at airport

Last edited by nutmeg_trippin' at Nov 15, 2008,
yeah get a new gfx card, it's absolute rubbish :p

I used to have a computer on similar spec, I had to replace the 512 with 1Gb, the gfx card I said **** it I'll buy a new computer.

TBH if you only wanna play shitty games, then get atleast 1G of ram, and a new gpu. I think newer GPUs can down-clock themselves or what you call it.

But if I were you I would just buy an entirely new PC :p.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
yeah get a new gfx card, it's absolute rubbish :p

I used to have a computer on similar spec, I had to replace the 512 with 1Gb, the gfx card I said **** it I'll buy a new computer.

TBH if you only wanna play shitty games, then get atleast 1G of ram, and a new gpu. I think newer GPUs can down-clock themselves or what you call it.

But if I were you I would just buy an entirely new PC :p.

Thanks for the reply!
I was on the verge of buying a new PC, but then told myself, what the hell, I just need it for music and playing some rather old games (such as CoD2 and GTA:SA). As long as these work properly, I'm fine. Any advice on what card (of those above mentioned) should I get?
Thanks!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by Plarx
um AGP4 doesnt work with AGP 8
ur gonna need a new motherboard and prolly a new cpu. new motherboard usually means new ram too....

it all adds up aye? lol

Well, from what I've read, AGP is backwards compatible, so an AGP 8x card will work on a 4x motherboard, just slower than it would run on a 8x motherboard.
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
Well, from what I've read, AGP is backwards compatible, so an AGP 8x card will work on a 4x motherboard, just slower than it would run on a 8x motherboard.

You're entirely correct there my friend. If you were considering a new machine I would recommend reconsidering it, as what you want to do/play on it may change in the future. It depends on what you're willing to spend honestly. If you don't want to spend much go for the graphics cards and definetly a RAM upgrade, I'll have a look in terms to card seeing as you've helped me out before.
EDIT: Something like an Nvidia GeForce 6800 would probably rape what you need it to do and get off without charges: Ebay link
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by nutmeg_trippin'

I believe so too.

I'd save up for a new motherboard though, AGP is really going to bottleneck everything. You might be able to keep the processor even.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I believe so too.

I'd save up for a new motherboard though, AGP is really going to bottleneck everything. You might be able to keep the processor even.

Considering he only wants to play GTA:SA and CoD2 it could be an awful lot of trouble to goto to try and support his original CPU and a new (probably) AGP8X video card, in the long run he would most likely be better off with a whole new system in general, all comes down to what nutmegs's ready to spend I guess, but unless he can get it cheap the motherboard isn't the greatest idea.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Considering he only wants to play GTA:SA and CoD2 it could be an awful lot of trouble to goto to try and support his original CPU and a new (probably) AGP8X video card, in the long run he would most likely be better off with a whole new system in general, all comes down to what nutmegs's ready to spend I guess, but unless he can get it cheap the motherboard isn't the greatest idea.

It's probably worth it, I don't think that's all he wanted to play literally. I don't know what socket his CPU is so I can't say if it's going to be A-ok.
Quote by Kensai
It's probably worth it, I don't think that's all he wanted to play literally. I don't know what socket his CPU is so I can't say if it's going to be A-ok.

Comes down to money really, like most other things. I still think it's worth upgrading to a new PC if you have/ think it's worth the dough.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Kensai

Thanks for all the replies!
Actually, I'm not into playing any games with much higher requirements than CoD2, GTA:SA and CS:S, so that's what brought me to the conclusion that the 64MB 2MX was bottlenecking my system. I believe that upgrading to a 256mb GeForce 6200 video card, along with my current 2.00GHz processor and maybe an additional 512MB of ram (for a total of 1GB) will be even more than enough for my needs, spending a decently low amount of money for that. I'm really not into changing the motherboard/CPU.

I used to have in mind spending quite some money for a quad core/2GB RAM/8800GT system, but after some thinking I've realized that I don't really need this.
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by consecutive e
Comes down to money really, like most other things. I still think it's worth upgrading to a new PC if you have/ think it's worth the dough.

And I'm not against that, but he can start with a new motherboard and a grahics card that will allow him to put in more memory, better cpu e.t.c. if his CPU is the right socket for the newer motherboards.

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
Thanks for all the replies!
Actually, I'm not into playing any games with much higher requirements than CoD2, GTA:SA and CS:S, so that's what brought me to the conclusion that the 64MB 2MX was bottlenecking my system. I believe that upgrading to a 256mb GeForce 6200 video card, along with my current 2.00GHz processor and maybe an additional 512MB of ram (for a total of 1GB) will be even more than enough for my needs, spending a decently low amount of money for that. I'm really not into changing the motherboard/CPU.

I used to have in mind spending quite some money for a quad core/2GB RAM/8800GT system, but after some thinking I've realized that I don't really need this.

You might regret that one day
Quote by Kensai
And I'm not against that, but he can start with a new motherboard and a grahics card that will allow him to put in more memory, better cpu e.t.c. if his CPU is the right socket for the newer motherboards.

You might regret that one day

Yeah you're right on both accounts really. A new motherboard if not too costly along with a RAM and GPU upgrade would suit your needs perfectly.

Quad core... not at the moment man. New technology, From what I've been hearing, Quad Core's haven't been receiving the best wrap, I'd wait untill they become a little more common and if you have to go for a new system go for a DECENT dual core. But as you said you don't think it's worth it at the moment. So upgrade what you have!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB