Page 1 of 2
OK, First of all I would like to say that I like this amp and I know alot of other people who like it aswell so please leave out your opinions about how bad you find the amp to be... I like it and I have already ordered one so you cant stop me .

CRATE FLEXWAVE 120 OWNERS OR PRE-OWNERS ONLY

I just have two questions. Im not that good with equalisers and settings to get the right tone. I can get it to sound great but not quite near to the artists tone Im playing. I can do avenged sevenfold but for stuff like Bullet for my Valentine and trivium etc does anyone who owns this amp have settings that sound close to these artists?

Question two. The two banks of effects per channel using the pedal is cool, I understand the concept and everything but still sometimes get caught in confusion about whats getting stored and when. Could anybody who 100% knows how to set it up at any time write a shortish guide on how the saving works and a little bit of a more in depth look (info) would be nice coz the manual isnt that great. Also if there is anyway to reset it to factory defaults (without getting extreme) please also post that.

Thanks Alot to All
Regards - GC

P.S. Admin please delete my previous thread on this as I re-posted to change the name of the thread. Thank you.
Ibanez RG321MH - PearlBlue (Now with EMG 85 and 81)
Jackson JS30RR - Black
Ibanez RG321MH - Black (now Red)

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)
Ibanez TubeKing TK999HT (unused)

http://www.youtube.com/gconry
Last edited by gconry18 at Nov 15, 2008,
I know I'm not an owner, but I've tried them. I actually like them for heavily distorted stuff.

My point was to say that this band used one to record and IMO they have really good tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by gconry18
P.S. Admin please delete my previous thread on this as I re-posted to change the name of the thread. Think you.

i know this doesn't really contribute to this thread much, but if you go to your old thread and edit the original post you get an option to delete the thread, so admins won't have to do it for you
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i know this doesn't really contribute to this thread much, but if you go to your old thread and edit the original post you get an option to delete the thread, so admins won't have to do it for you

Thanks, that helps...
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Does No One Have This Amp???
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

I had and sold it to get a peavey valveking
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Quote by gconry18
I just have two questions. Im not that good with equalisers and settings to get the right tone. I can get it to sound great but not quite near to the artists tone Im playing. I can do avenged sevenfold but for stuff like Bullet for my Valentine and trivium etc does anyone who owns this amp have settings that sound close to these artists?

there's an ultimate settings thread...
When I tried it at a store it sounded really muddy and loose. Wasn't my style =\
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
People... Read...

Quote by Ghold125
there's an ultimate settings thread...

I wasnt aware that it was specific to this amp...
I know about the thread I just want input from people who have this amp if they have any good settings for me seeing as the afore mentioned thread is not amp specific.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
When I tried it at a store it sounded really muddy and loose. Wasn't my style =\
Did you even read my origional post? READ BELOW!!!!
Quote by gconry18
OK, First of all I would like to say that I like this amp and I know alot of other people who like it aswell so please leave out your opinions about how bad you find the amp to be... I like it and I have already ordered one so you cant stop me.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

I'm just giving my opinion. It's an inexpensive half stack. And really I didn't spend much time on it, nor can I vouch for how decent the Peavy cab it was hooked up to is.

Not trying to stop you. 'Cause people tried to stop me from getting my head also lol. If you like it, then more power to you!
Quote by sargasm
Ok. Thank you. And Im actually getting the combo. I dont do gigs or anything yet so I just want a powerful practice amp that I can maybe do small gigs on if I ever get that far.

Oh and if anybody can help me with this question. I see alot of high gain amps have either a shape, contour or presence knob. Is there a difference between these or are they the same thing basically?
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Same basic idea, they all manipulate the mids section of the EQ. When I was with my last band I almost bought the 2x12 combo. But after trying out the head in a store I sorta decided not to. Then I quit that band... lol
Quote by sargasm
Thank you very much.
Now can I get some people on topic here???
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

not many people on this site have them, because they have learned that they sound like a turd....
Quote by gconry18
Thank you very much.
Now can I get some people on topic here???

He's kinda right. People don't buy the Flexwave 'cause it gets such a bad rap around here...

This thread will just turn into flames I'd say delete it.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by Ghold125
not many people on this site have them, because they have learned that they sound like a turd....
Why are there people like you who always need to try bring others down? Only post if you have answers to my questions. Asshole.

Granted some people hate this amp and some love it. Sound is down to personal preference and often budget aswell. I would have bought an all valve mesa boogie or something if money was not an option. But to me this amp shines within my price range.
Cheers.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

I love how you call people assholes and act like a dick and still expect people to help you out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by gconry18
Ok. Thank you. And Im actually getting the combo. I dont do gigs or anything yet so I just want a powerful practice amp that I can maybe do small gigs on if I ever get that far.

Oh and if anybody can help me with this question. I see alot of high gain amps have either a shape, contour or presence knob. Is there a difference between these or are they the same thing basically?

Contour is a midscoop. Ideally, if you want to be heard in the band mix, do not scoop your mids.
Prescence is an uppmidrange sort of mod. It adds bit to your tone.
Dunno about shape. never had an amp with that.

Also, combos aren't significantly quieter than halfstacks. Just saying. The difference is that 4x12's will be moving more air, and spreading the sound more.

TBH, if you're buying the Flexwave, you're getting close to the price range of good affordable metal tube amps, like the Randall RG50TC.
Also, if you're just looking for a practice amp, what's wrong with your current Roland Cube?

Also, what's your EQ set up like right now? Relate the positions to me in "o'clock" positions, with 12 o'clock being the middle/top of the dial.
Quote by gconry18
Granted some people hate this amp and some love it. Sound is down to personal preference and often budget aswell. I would have bought an all valve mesa boogie or something if money was not an option. But to me this amp shines within my price range.
Cheers.

Don't try to argue with these people... it's pointless, you'll just shout yourself hoarse and still be called tone deaf, then be told to sell your Flexwave.

I'll go unsubscribe to this thread for the sake of my sanity lol.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by forsaknazrael

Shape is usually the same as a mid or contour control, though I can't remember if it works backwards like a contour control or not.

TS: If you are wanting to sound like those bands I think you're gonna be extremely disappointed with your amps. Those bands use high gain tube amplifiers, and you have a bottom of the barrel SS amp. You might like the tone for a while, but I have a feeling you'll grow tired of it soon enough. Also, I wouldn't buy one new, you could probably find one used for cheap.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Anyway guys. Thanks for everyone that contributed but I get the feeling that some people dont get that sound is down to personal preferance. I like this amp guys so instead of trying to shove your point of view into my head try and help in a proper way or dont post at all.

I know that real bands use proper high gain tube amps and stuff, thats obvious cos they are not limited by things such as a very tight budget.

Compared to the Marshall MG100DFX I preferred this amp. Alot of people prefer the Marshall but that comes back to personal preference again.

Also there is no place that I would be able to try our Randall amps and the budget tube amps coz I only have a very small local guitar store available to me.

When I get a Job and earn a solid income I can think about putting money to a nice all tube amp.

And to the guy who said the half stack is louder, I know that but I dont need that much volume when practicing and "if" I ever gig with this combo I can always add a cab to it.

The cube is a nice amp, I love it. But it doesnt have the tonal possibilities of a bigger and more powerful amp unless I get a pedal for it.

Feel free to PM me about anything you still want to drive into my head.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Quote by forsaknazrael
Contour is a midscoop. Ideally, if you want to be heard in the band mix, do not scoop your mids.

Also, combos aren't significantly quieter than halfstacks. Just saying. The difference is that 4x12's will be moving more air, and spreading the sound more.

TBH, if you're buying the Flexwave, you're getting close to the price range of good affordable metal tube amps, like the Randall RG50TC.
Also, if you're just looking for a practice amp, what's wrong with your current Roland Cube?

Also, what's your EQ set up like right now? Relate the positions to me in "o'clock" positions, with 12 o'clock being the middle/top of the dial.

Did you even read my post? I'm still trying to help you here...

And the Marshall MG100 is crap anyway...
I still don't see what's wrong with the Cube?
Yes I read your post... Misread as are instead of arent though. my bad.

The cube is great but limiting.
I cant go to a very big gig with it. Theres no seperate eq for the lead and clean channels. I cant run delay and reverb at the same time... Although I'm not really one for effects.

Its ok but I want something with good power that will last me for many years.

I cancelled the order of my flexwave because I cant be bothered with all this trouble anymore.

So here we go, amp suggestions for a price of 350 US$ or less. Looking for good metal and clean tone. Something that will give me High gain without the use of a distortion pedal. Something that comes with a pedal to allow for channel selection as well as controlling effects. Something with a wide range of tonal possibilities.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

I uncancelled my order of the flexwave and I am still purchasing one.

Compared to other Solid State amps on the market that I have tried this one stands out for me.

Thanks for all your input and concert. I will definitely use your advice again when I have a large budget and am looking for a full tube/valve amp.

Thanks Again.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

A flextone would blow that thing away, just have some patience and look for one used.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Its my money yes thats right, and its what I like.

Remember guys, understand this. I tried this amp alot, and other amps aswell. This one stood out for me and I like the tone.

If you were buying an amp and you tried out bunches and like a top range randall amp and its in your budget then thats great. But then someone keeps insisting you should buy a mesa because that sound better to them. You dont want that mesa, you just wanna buy this randall that you like because you like it and can afford it.

I come back once again to personal preference.

Dont try to change people. Be nice.

Its not your place to tell someone else what they should be doing.

Now does anybody need more examples of personal preference or does everyone understand???
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Did anybody even read my post at the beginning of the thread? That's good tone from a Flexwave IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^I did. It's kind of a fizzy distortion...Not really what I would aim for...

Quote by gconry18
Its my money yes thats right, and its what I like.

Remember guys, understand this. I tried this amp alot, and other amps aswell. This one stood out for me and I like the tone.

If you were buying an amp and you tried out bunches and like a top range randall amp and its in your budget then thats great. But then someone keeps insisting you should buy a mesa because that sound better to them. You dont want that mesa, you just wanna buy this randall that you like because you like it and can afford it.

Actually people were recommending amps in the same budget or just a little above.

Quote by gconry18
Dont try to change people. Be nice.

Its not your place to tell someone else what they should be doing.

No one is trying to "change you".
We were trying to stop you from making an unwise investment. Why buy ANOTHER amp to use as practice amp when yours is decent? It just didn't make any sense. 400 dollars is a lot to spend on a sub-par amp just because you want the "feel of a big amp".
Quote by forsaknazrael
No one is trying to "change you".
We were trying to stop you from making an unwise investment. Why buy ANOTHER amp to use as practice amp when yours is decent? It just didn't make any sense. 400 dollars is a lot to spend on a sub-par amp just because you want the "feel of a big amp".
Its not only a practice amp. I will eventually gig with it as well. And Tecnically it would be much less than 400$, probably around 300 with the current exchange rate. I'm from South Africa. The guy at the store is also buying my cube for the same price I payed for it so Im getting the flexwave at half price completely new.

My cube doesnt give me enough for my liking, also the FW has much more sustain than my cube. Also I want seperate EQ's for when switching from Distortion to Clean. The crate FW is not a bad amp at all. You probably got a big ass all tube amp. But thats because you have/had the resources (Stores and money) to buy one.

I do appreciate how you are trying to help me, I will definitely ask for advice once I have an income and am ready for an extreme gigging amp.

Quote by neptune1988
feel the love...

people on the net are so mean.

geez!
LOL! I hear ya man.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Ya know. I'm a hypocrite, 'cause I bought a solid-state head to go on my free cabinet. But you do realize for all your gripes of "This was within my budget." they were offering tube amps of the same price, just not a half-stack.

A tube combo (even a 1x12) can be just as loud as a half stack... you have much research to do. It'd be in your best interest.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by Kevin Saale
Shape is usually the same as a mid or contour control, though I can't remember if it works backwards like a contour control or not.

TS: If you are wanting to sound like those bands I think you're gonna be extremely disappointed with your amps. Those bands use high gain tube amplifiers, and you have a bottom of the barrel SS amp. You might like the tone for a while, but I have a feeling you'll grow tired of it soon enough. Also, I wouldn't buy one new, you could probably find one used for cheap.

couldnt have said it any better. I had the Flexwave series for about 2 weeks. I bought one brand new and in the store i thought it was perfect. I bring it home and start to jam and i slowly start to hate the thing. the high gain channel sounds like poo. the overdrive channel is decent. the clean channel is decent at best. the fx suck cuz even if ur using the pedal they still bleed through even if the fx on the pedal r off. overall i was ver disapointed, and this is coming from someone who was brought up on crate amps. I gave it a chance but it just didnt cut it.

i ended up buying a used Roland Cube 30 and im very happy with that. I would say just save ur money, and play on the roland. they are good practice amps, and have alot of the same stuff you were looking for in the Crate. all youd need would be a universal footswitch from BOSS (so then you would have the same set up as the crate) and your Roland will be a Crate Killer.

good luck n cheers
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
the fx suck cuz even if ur using the pedal they still bleed through even if the fx on the pedal r off.
Thats not a problem. You just need to read the manual on how the FX banks work... The pedal doesnt turn off FX it just switches between bank A and B.

I spent 5 hours with one of these in store and I really enjoyed it. Plus I was using my own guitar so I know it sounds good with my guitar. If I am unhappy with this crate then I will sell it and try out some of your suggestions.

So guys I think we are done with the arguing in this forum.

BTW I really have nothing against my cube, I LOVE IT!!! I just want more than it can currently offer me...

The thing with me is (I'm a complicated person) I will not buy a tube amp if I cant get a very high range one within my budget. I will rather get a high range Solid State amp than get a mid range tube amp. even if it sounds better... I know, Im wierd.

I did try a Marshall JCM2000 in store as well... Way out of my budget I know, but I didnt like it at all anyway. We are all different guys. Some swear by boss pedals, others think line 6 is the best. Some rock Gibsons others want no other than Jackson.

Last comments welcome and I will reply but basically it's not an argument to decide weather or not I buy the Flexwave.

Regards All - GC
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Last edited by gconry18 at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by gconry18
The thing with me is (I'm a complicated person) I will not buy a tube amp if I cant get a very high range one within my budget. I will rather get a high range Solid State amp than get a mid range tube amp. even if it sounds better... I know, Im wierd.

You don't seem to realize I've had this argument with people like Kevin Saale already. Next you'll be told that the Flexwave stack isn't a "high end" solid-state like you have said. It's "bottom barrel" akin to a "Marshall" MG.

But you're doing a great job outright ignoring even me. And I'm not even telling you what to do, I'm just giving you advice that you won't win this "I like it, so leave me alone." stance that you've taken.
Quote by sargasm
I have been reading and paying attention to all the comments. And I am not out to win anything.

Can somebody tell me what the big problem is??? This is the amp that I want, why does everyone need to fuss just because they dont like it?

If you don't like the sound of this amp then you don't need to listen to me play, By the way I tested this against the Marshall MG and to me this is better. But anyway I guess you people are gonna keep arguing this untill the day I have the crate sitting next to me... Probably even way after then.

I just dont get the fuss, I understand you all prefer tube and I know that tube is much better in tone but I dont want tube right now.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Quote by gconry18
Its not only a practice amp. I will eventually gig with it as well. And Tecnically it would be much less than 400$, probably around 300 with the current exchange rate. I'm from South Africa. The guy at the store is also buying my cube for the same price I payed for it so Im getting the flexwave at half price completely new.

You actually never mentioned gigging being part of the equation. You only recently started saying that. Before, you were looking for an amp solely for practice.
Quote by gconry18
I just dont get the fuss, I understand you all prefer tube and I know that tube is much better in tone but I dont want tube right now.

You should run a search on the Ibanez TBX150H. You'll find a bunch of my threads in there. I also never remember telling you not to buy a Flexwave. I said I didn't like it, but people don't like my head that didn't stop me.

You want it, go buy it. You couldn't stop me from drooling over Mesa triple rectifiers if you tried.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by forsaknazrael
You actually never mentioned gigging being part of the equation. You only recently started saying that. Before, you were looking for an amp solely for practice.
Might I redirect you to page 1 post number 11, My first mention of gigging before you joined the thread.
Quote by gconry18

There you go.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
You should run a search on the Ibanez TBX150H. You'll find a bunch of my threads in there. I also never remember telling you not to buy a Flexwave. I said I didn't like it, but people don't like my head that didn't stop me.

You want it, go buy it. You couldn't stop me from drooling over Mesa triple rectifiers if you tried.
I know you never told me not to but most of the other guys insinuate that and I just dont understand why they want to shove personal opinions down peoples throats, But i guess thats how forums go if you are not looking for a product that everyone loves then you are just not making the right decision...
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Last edited by gconry18 at Nov 21, 2008,
Page 1 of 2