I have just changed the gauge of the strings on my guitar from 9-48 gauge, to 11-52 gauge. After replacing the strings ive found it very hard to play notes properly due to me not being able to press down on the frets hard enough. This is especialy bad in chords where i have to use 1 finger to cover all 6 stings as only a few of the notes play. Is this problem due to my age (Im 15) or is it just a question of getting used to it. Thanks.
On the website i bought them from 11-52 were classed as medium, i thougght these were the normal type that most acoustics had.

Also, on my last strings, the E,B and G strings were made of a non-metal material, whereas on these strings, they look more like electric guitar strings.
Have just been researching about guitar strings.
My guitar came with 3 metal/3 nylon strings.
Does This mean that its a Classical Guitar or Aciustic.
If it is Classical, are the acoustic strings i got for it not usable?
thanks
UHHH... Classical guitars have 3 metal wound and 3 nylon. Acoustic guitars have all steel. If you're using Steel Strings on your classical, you could BADLY damage it(snap the bridge, warp the neck, etc). Take them off right now if you did use them.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yes it is a classical guitar, yes you need nylon strings, and it's easier to play bar chords on nylon so just practice more on steel strings, you'll get used to it.
Quote by Radical Bob
Yes it is a classical guitar, yes you need nylon strings, and it's easier to play bar chords on nylon so just practice more on steel strings, you'll get used to it.
Dude, try to be a little more clear when posting to a newbie. If he doesn't get those steel strings off his guitar immediately, he's not going to have anything at all to "practice more on."

ReviloB93, the reason why you're finding it so difficult to fret the strings isn't the difference in string guage. It's because your CLASSICAL guitar was not built to withstand the tension of steel strings, which are meant for ACOUSTIC guitars. Steel strings exert roughly twice the weight of nylon strings, and the neck of your guitar is straining to hold up under all that weight. That strain is causing the neck to bow much more than usual, which has resulted in the strings being held higher off the frets. That is why your guitar is now so difficult to play.

Like captivate said, take those strings off immediately or you'll risk doing permanent, catastrophic damage to your guitar. If it's not already in pieces, the only way you'll know if your guitar is okay is by restringing with nylon, tuning it to standard, and playing to see if the neck is warped.

If you want to practice with steel strings, you're going to need a new guitar, one that is meant to take steel strings.

Good luck.
strictly speaking you are not meant to put acoustic string (all 6 are metal) on a classical, and vice versa, but some people do this for fun or exprimentation, as long as it doesn't mess up your guitar...

One thing to mention, medium gauge is the highest/thickest gauge you can get on strings, the compromise between tone and playability is usually found in light gauge, but those who like easy tension go for extra light, and those seeking tone above all else usually go for medium.. really it depends and you must experiemnt to find your own favourite.

As for your classical, if its a low end guitar its probably not set up profesionally, and yes, requires nylon strings. Nylon strings have a much lower tension, meaning the strings vibrate a lot more, which means the action (the height of the strings against the fretboard) is a lot higher then on a normal acoustic guitar.

If you want an acoustic, invest in a one
Err... You really wouldn't want to put metal strings on a classical for fun or experimentation because it WILL mess up your guitar(well... unless you want to purposefully destroy your guitar).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks for your help guys.
I have now taken off the strings, it doesnt look as if any damage has been done though.