Page 1 of 2
heya guys,

Last week i and my friend had a discussion about the headstone of metal,

He told me that he means that metallica can write this titel on there list,

but i think that deep purple or uriah heep are the raisers.

A other friend of me said that black sabbath are it.

So now i ask you about your view.

Thanks
Wakdul
i agree with maiden being one of the most influential, but sabbath started 'heavy metal' in that sense.

my 3 way tied vote would be priest, maiden, sabbath.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
no, (;

Not like metal is dead,
but I search these bands who founded metal ^^
well there definitely are a lot of influences, its hard to say who the first was

not the most in depth, but the Metal: A Headbanger's Journey documentary does a pretty good overview of early metal and some of the various subgenres
Quote by Wakdul
heya guys,

Last week i and my friend had a discussion about the headstone of metal,

He told me that he means that metallica can write this titel on there list,

but i think that deep purple or uriah heep are the raisers.

A other friend of me said that black sabbath are it.

So now i ask you about your view.

Thanks
Wakdul

Dude, wtf.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Trivium.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Trivium.

+1

Matt Heafy is so hawt! <3<3<3

Black Sabbath
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Stranglehold
Trivium.

+1 i luv trivium but teh growelz hurts meh ears :'( i wish dey wood do a song without teh growlz so we can all enkoy trivium.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
+1 i luv trivium but teh growelz hurts meh ears :'( i wish dey wood do a song without teh growlz so we can all enkoy trivium.

fuken pussy matts growlz ar d best, and i no cos i listen to behemoth and nile and cc i know wat death metal sounds liek
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Trivium.

That joke never gets old.

This, however:

fuken pussy matts growlz ar d best, and i no cos i listen to behemoth and nile and cc i know wat death metal sounds liek

Is getting extremely tedious.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Stranglehold

wowo dood ur liek relly hxc br00talz, all day def mketl sounds liek noiz to me lolololol.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by dead-fish
That joke never gets old.

This, however:

Is getting extremely tedious.

Haha.... I wasnt referring to the usual deathcore jokes though, I was ripping the piss out of people who think they are death metal fanatics because they went and downloaded Kill, The Apostasy, and Ithyphallic.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I was
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
haha...
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Haha.... I wasnt referring to the usual deathcore jokes though, I was ripping the piss out of people who think they are death metal fanatics because they went and downloaded Kill, The Apostasy, and Ithyphallic.

Good save.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
I was

Your ancestors look down upon you and are ashamed.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
I have brought great shame to our family name *kills self*.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
black sabbath invented heavy metal.
there was no other.
deep purple, led zeppelin, uriah heep etc all contributed but id put all these under hard rock.
black sabbath were the first band who made "heavy metal" music.

but id put as like the "leaders of metal" as sabbath, maiden and metallica as thee are kind of like the main originators of the various heavy metal stages
Quote by korinaflyingv
i love kill and ithyphallic...

He wasn't insulting the albums, just the people that think they're huge death metal fans just because they bought those albums.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
i think sabbath, just cause i like them more than maiden, Ozzie is so cool. Deep purple as well.
Quote by Tempoe
i think sabbath, just cause i like them more than maiden, Ozzie is so cool. Deep purple as well.

A. Ozzy*
B. He did nothing more than cause a migrane for the other members of the band. Never wrote a Sabbath song in his life.
Flower Travellin' Band. They sound pretty close to Sabbath and were a year earlier. I think the big four proto-heavy metal bands were Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pentagram and Judas Priest.
Quote by dead-fish
A. Ozzy*
B. He did nothing more than cause a migrane for the other members of the band. Never wrote a Sabbath song in his life.

I remeber watching an interview with Kelly Osbourne when she said "my father is such a strong man. Why else would he write a song like Iron Man".

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Although Ozzy didn't write really anything for Sabbath-he was still a great frontman, and set a great tone to their stuff. He's still a pioneer of metal, even if the most impressive thing he had a knack for was finding some of the best guitar players.

edit: as for the thread topic I think it's similar to what bands molded what metal is/has become. I'd say Sabbath, Maiden and Metallica are the three that instantly come to mind first.
This is a tough one to answer. As I see it, there have been two separate births of metal. From a conventional standpoint, I'd say Sabbath was the first 'metal' band, giving rise to the pack of those who came after - Maiden, Priest, etc.

But then something happened.... somewhere along the way, the definition of metal seemed to change. Play that stuff now, and most people would call it hard rock.

I think the turning point was Metallica. (Ride the Lightning era...) They 'rebirthed' metal into what we now think of when most people talk about heavy metal. Nobody really had much success at that until Metallica did, (sure, there were bands like Celtic Frost and Razor, but for the most part, nobody really noticed) but since then, it was legitimized as a mainstream-ish cultural artifact. ('art form' just sounds pretentious....)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I would say Black Sabbath are the original metal band but many bands helped it evolve into what it is now, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Death,... the list could go on and on
Quote by dead-fish
A. Ozzy*

Ozzy wrote Who Are You from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but i think that's it.
Quote by dead-fish
A. Ozzy*

Did he do any lyrics? Or was that all Geezer? Despite that, his wail did really add a lot to the music, though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by MetalMessiah665
wowo dood ur liek relly hxc br00talz, all day def mketl sounds liek noiz to me lolololol.

I always wondered, what does the x in hxc stand for...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Page 1 of 2