Hey there...iv just started playing the blues a month back. i'd really appreciate some criticism.
I basically recorded the whole thing as an improvisation in one take so i guess it could better with some work.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=892802

thank you.
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
thank you
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
Quote by 100%guitarmad
Isn't it Dire Straits?

And pretty good work on the song.

Yea it is..i was ignorant there
thanks for listening tho.. i'll start recording properly from tomorrow i guess.
cheers
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
umm its still a little shaky the ryhthm part in the begining could use lots of work and your turnarounds are a little rough, also a little advice, it's been my experience playing the blues and jamming with alot of blues players that the best way to get a very strong feeling across doenst necesaarily involve alot of notes, of course it also can involve alot of notes, but in the beginner blues players case i would say it doesnt have to, try working on getting some screaming bends that really just yell with emotion.

could you give a critic to my music? thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999165
Quote by AbombO.S.
umm its still a little shaky the ryhthm part in the begining could use lots of work and your turnarounds are a little rough, also a little advice, it's been my experience playing the blues and jamming with alot of blues players that the best way to get a very strong feeling across doenst necesaarily involve alot of notes, of course it also can involve alot of notes, but in the beginner blues players case i would say it doesnt have to, try working on getting some screaming bends that really just yell with emotion.

could you give a critic to my music? thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999165

That sounds very apt and constructive. Thank you for taking the time out to do that.
Would you recommend listening to anyone particular to get a better idea of proberbly phrasing and improving my rythm? i play a lot of metal in general.
i am really new to this genre as such. Heck i'll let you in on a secret..i DONT know what a turnaround is exactly!

i'll listen to your music ASAP.
cheers and thanks again.
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
Last edited by Aditya at Nov 15, 2008,
lol of course, my personal favorite is SRV, besides him i'd recommend Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin's bluesy tunes, any live John Mayer album, and hendrix of course.

The turnaround is the part of the song where the chord progression goes V-IV and then back to the root chord, essentially the last four measures in a phrase of 12-bar blues.

Also in terms of more blues experience if your town has any shows where blues bands play go to them. Every thursday night i go to a blues jam show where the house band plays for about an hour and then people sign up on a list and go up and jam with the band or just other players, it's a really great experience and it not only would give you insight to blues but also can give some stage experience once your looking to perform.
Allright! i'll definately do that, i jam a lot in general... i was looking to expand my playing hence the blues. I really did like magnification btw, i'v posted in your thread.
cheers
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
anyone else?
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
I really liked your clean and lead tone. The transition at 1:00 was a little abrupt when things suddenly slowed down. I really enjoyed one of the riffs you played at 1:45. The slower tempo of the latter half of the song felt like it was dragging along, you might want to speed it up 10 bpm or so (maybe it's just me). Anyway, awesome job, looks like you've got a pretty good grasp of blues improv.
I haven't listened to your tune yet (I will shortly) but I saw someone mentioning some people to listen to. if you haven't already I would suggest looking into some Buddy Guy as well. Not the typical blues sound (at least not what I think of) but he's a great guitarist and I love the sound. Just another person to check out for some inspiration.

some others to check out are the classics such as Albert King, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, etc. I think SRV, Hendrix, Clapton and those boys are a bit to much of a 'modified' blues sound (Buddy Guy is too IMO but still). They are great players, but I think if you are just getting into the blues it helps to see where they got their inspirations from. Again, just putting out some food for thought and you can't go wrong trying to learn a bit from each of them.
Quote by furin121
I haven't listened to your tune yet (I will shortly) but I saw someone mentioning some people to listen to. if you haven't already I would suggest looking into some Buddy Guy as well. Not the typical blues sound (at least not what I think of) but he's a great guitarist and I love the sound. Just another person to check out for some inspiration.

some others to check out are the classics such as Albert King, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, etc. I think SRV, Hendrix, Clapton and those boys are a bit to much of a 'modified' blues sound (Buddy Guy is too IMO but still). They are great players, but I think if you are just getting into the blues it helps to see where they got their inspirations from. Again, just putting out some food for thought and you can't go wrong trying to learn a bit from each of them.

hey thank you! I started listening to a bit of robben ford too as such..love his chordwork and phrasing. Especially the work he did with blue line.
Marshall MG15 CD
VOX Tonelab ST
Further to what others have said you might like this site for quick jamming,

http://datamusic.org/carticles/13blues-jam-tracks/blues-jam-tracks-album1/index.html

Great for honing up licks

C4C checkout some of the blues rock orientated tracks on my Profile page.
Last edited by Sheppola at Nov 28, 2008,
Pretty good. Strange at 1:00 approx but overall you have some good chops.

Just work on your modulation from fast blues to slower stuff.

7/10