Hello there fellows,

I recently changed the strings on my acoustic guitar. I have been using very thick strings to get the one-whole-step-down tuning I enjoy (instead of E for the 6th, it is D and so on). However, a day or two after that, the guitar started to sound dull. Brand new guitars and a dull sound?

I began checking the tension on the neck, and it seems it needed adjustment. However, I have NO clue on how to repair this. Before I take it to the shop, is there anything I can do?

Thank you guys for your help,

kRem
I haven't had a problem as such in the years I've been playing acoustic. As you know, all guitar strings create a different tone. And guitars do change over time. Also, depending on where you play, the acoustics can sound totally different. I wish I could help you out...I have kept my strings 10 gauge on my acoustics since I started playing. Good luck
isnt this a situation where you adjust the action on a guitar?

im not sure though
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I haven't had a problem as such in the years I've been playing acoustic. As you know, all guitar strings create a different tone. And guitars do change over time. Also, depending on where you play, the acoustics can sound totally different. I wish I could help you out...I have kept my strings 10 gauge on my acoustics since I started playing. Good luck

Hey Emily!

Actually you are right: guitars DO change. However, this sudden change is not good. I try adjusting the neck tension and this noticeably changed the string's sound. But, how do I do this properly (the calibration)?

kRem
Quote by darklite41
isnt this a situation where you adjust the action on a guitar?

im not sure though

Hey!

Actually no. I did it after, not before. I had never adjusted anything on my guitar. I noticed that the neck screw was loose (at least I think so), and the tuning knobs were a little loose too.

What do you think?
Quote by GC Shred Off
Has the weather in your area been particularly humid lately?

I think it has to do with the weather, yes. It has been cold, hot, cold, hot, rainy, hot, cold. Really messed up weather here in San Diego!

Should I take it to the shop? I just thought I could fix this myself...

kRem
you put thicker strings and now they sound dead?

well.. what kinda strings did you have before.. say if you had elixirs, and you just bought 5$ wal-mart strings.. then of course now they sound dull...

but i had the same problem with my squier.. i put light gauge d'addarios on it and it sounded beautiful.. put heavy gauge d'addario's of the same kind... and it sounds dull...

put the lights back on, it's beautiful again...

never looked deaper into it, just bought elixirs after that.. lol
It's probably the strings, if putting back the same type of strings you had on before doesn't help then try some brass bridge pins. I use them on all my acoustics and they tend to brighten up the tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Just put new strings on it. It is possible the guitar had Phosphor Bronze strings on it and you replaced them with non-Phosphor bronze strings. This will create the effect you are talking about. Put Phoshphor Bronze strings on it and see if that doesn't fix it. Also if you really want the best tone out of your guitar put a a bone saddle and bridge pins on it.
Quote by redking14ca
you put thicker strings and now they sound dead?

well.. what kinda strings did you have before.. say if you had elixirs, and you just bought 5$ wal-mart strings.. then of course now they sound dull...

but i had the same problem with my squier.. i put light gauge d'addarios on it and it sounded beautiful.. put heavy gauge d'addario's of the same kind... and it sounds dull...

put the lights back on, it's beautiful again...

never looked deaper into it, just bought elixirs after that.. lol

Hey there,

No. They are the same strings. Same brand, same price (about $8). So, why would they sound different? Maybe a bad batch or something?
Quote by soul_power
It's probably the strings, if putting back the same type of strings you had on before doesn't help then try some brass bridge pins. I use them on all my acoustics and they tend to brighten up the tone.

Hey there!

I just wonder, why if I'm using the same strings and same guitar the sound is different? It feels like I don't want to play it!

It is sad, yet I will try to use different strings.

Thank you!

kRem