Hi i am looking to get into recording. i have a band with 5 members, we use 2 guitars, a bass, and an eletric drum kit. i have the reaper free trial program already and so i need everything else. so what exactly do i need and wats the best. im looking to spend around 300 to like 350
The products you should be looking into:

Mackie Onyx Satellite (Not for Vista users)
PreSonus Inspire 1394
PreSonus Firebox
EMU 0404

I suggest the FireBox as it has on board MIDI connection and is a great interface for around $300. The drums will go though MIDI, audio can be fed into any of the inputs.

Track each instrument at a time. I think you need to buy Reaper to get MP3s out of it so you may want to put some money aside for that.
Quote by windextor52
Hi i am looking to get into recording. i have a band with 5 members, we use 2 guitars, a bass, and an eletric drum kit. i have the reaper free trial program already and so i need everything else. so what exactly do i need and wats the best. im looking to spend around 300 to like 350

Moody is good at recommending budget gear.

You need to keep in mind that "what's the best" is entirely out of your price range. A truly awesome vocal mic (like a U87) is going to run you 10x your budget by itself. One mic. A truly great single channel preamp (like an Avalon) will cost you about 5x your whole budget... for one channel. A truly great interface will run you about 6x your whole budget (like a Lynx... and then add a couple of grand for the Apogee converters....).

This recording hobby can get really expensive, really fast. Your best bet is starting with some budget gear along the lines of Mackie, Behringer, Marshall (mics, not amps), Studio Projects, M-Audio, etc. and using it to learn how to record. Don't expect miracles, though. Just like you weren't an awesome guitar player after two years of practice, you won't be an awesome recording engineer after two years of practice either.

By all means, welcome aboard to this crazy ship, but make sure you know what you're getting into.

CT

PS. I've been recording for about ten years now, and I'm still using mostly budget gear.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ok thank you all

i wont be recording on a vista computer so that is what i will go with thank you all