WARNING: I'm a guitar player...so I know pretty much nothing about bass anything.
Now that thats out of the way,
I'm trying to help my friend find a semi-decient bass amp, its got to be loud enough to gig small places and hopefully sound alright, but being cheap and purdy loud are the main concerns. We're just playing basic punk stuff (I'm not sure how much that matters with a bass amp).
any help would be much appriciated.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

what does he play? he'll want a min of 200 watts, 300 preferably.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
How cheap is cheap? A price range would be helpful
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by The Progfather
How cheap is cheap? A price range would be helpful

I believe the plan at the moment is pick something and then save/work until he's got enough money.
But I dont know how much he has at the moment

Quote by bogg808

Ok, what sort music does he play?
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
so the OP says they're playing punk, and two people have asked what style of music this is for...

I think the main question here is how high-end of a rig is he looking for? Is he looking for a good mid-range rig or is he looking for a really nice rig?
Nope, no sig here.
low-mid range, nothing too nice

Quote by bogg808

K, that narrows it down. The stuff below is about the best bang-for-your-buck you can find without going used. I think Ashdown's tone would fit best in a punk band, but any of this stuff will work. Bass generally doesn't have defined tones for each genre like guitar does.

Basically Mix N' Match this stuff. A head and one cab should do fine.
Heads:
Kustom
Acoustic
Ashdown
Hartke

Cabs:
Ashdown 410
Acoustic 410
Kustom 410
Hartke 410
Hartke 115*
Kustom 115*
Acoustic 115*
Ashdown 115*

*probably a bit quiet on its own: best paired with another cab
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 15, 2008,
woah, thanks dude

Quote by bogg808

No problem

edit: I forgot to add, Behringer's stuff looks tempting, but don't get it. They over-rate their power, and then post the peak power instead of the RMS. (All other companies post RMS) So if you buy, for example, their 450W bass head, you're really only getting like 200W or something like that, and it's likely to break down within a year.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 15, 2008,
Oh! If you look at the Ashdown head make sure you get a 4ohm cab or you'll feel like a right twat when you only get 180 watts out the head!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
If you are playing punk you will want a 4x10 cabinet if you are going budget. A 1x15 just won't do it for punk, IMO. And you'll probably want as many watts as you can get, without overly compromising quality.
Quote by Rywad
Oh! If you look at the Ashdown head make sure you get a 4ohm cab or you'll feel like a right twat when you only get 180 watts out the head!

Through the same cab, 300W is not going to sound much different from 180W, and it's definitely enough to keep up in a band. I do it with 225W every gig, with the volume knob on 4. It'll be just fine.
Nope, no sig here.