Ive been playing for about a year now and have been using tabs, mainly Guitar Pro. My issue is that I dont have the speed to move all over the fret board. What can I do to pick this up. Thanks
Don't worry about speed. Just focus on being accurate. The speed will come when you have good accurate playing.
Speed = time + practise.

Anyways, just start out slow on what you want to learn. Once you've got it at a lower speed, speed up a bit. Rinse, lather and repeat.

EDIT: Another tip, just to say, is to use tabs less and use your ears more. Tabs are alright for beginners, but when you work stuff it out, I feel it's so much more rewarding, and you get ideas for riffs and things of your own on the way.

They did it in the 60s, so it must be cool!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Nov 15, 2008,
PRACTICE!!! Search here for exercises which you can choose to practice, the more you practice, generally the more control you have, unless you make practice errors.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
As much as most people disagree, speed and control are entirely separate.

If you want to really build your speed, you need to practice pushing your muscles beyond their current comfortable or maximum speed, doing so will reduce your accuracy and control to about 20%

For accuracy, it's simply building muscle memory. Play slowly with a metronome and make sure that you're hitting everything 100% If you're not, then go slower until you are.

To avoid developing horrible technique, you should probably work on accuracy and control about three to four times as much as you do speed.
i know this probably isn't the RIGHT way but it worked for me....

I learned really slow songs What It's like by everlast, good riddance by green day, free falling, sweet home alabama... a good mix with an array of chords and techniques all played fairly slowly then i did a bunch of crack and played em again, but no i just played them at crackhead tempo and practiced making them faster and faster eventually i was able to carry what i learned regarding speed and technique to my lead work..... ps.... if you're looking to just build speed play some punk, that's all it's goodfor
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
Well practice obviously but little things that I'vd done lately that help a lot

New Pick
Thicker strings

I went up to 11's and started using Jazz III XL's, it's made a huge improvement, its much easier to play when your strings aren't flopping around
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by icronic
As much as most people disagree, speed and control are entirely separate.

If you want to really build your speed, you need to practice pushing your muscles beyond their current comfortable or maximum speed, doing so will reduce your accuracy and control to about 20%

For accuracy, it's simply building muscle memory. Play slowly with a metronome and make sure that you're hitting everything 100% If you're not, then go slower until you are.

To avoid developing horrible technique, you should probably work on accuracy and control about three to four times as much as you do speed.

The difference is that control is skill you can develop, speed is not...speed is simply a reflection of your skill.

That's why there's no point worrying about speed - because you have no direct influence over it. You can't work on "speed" for that very reason, however there are many factors that you can work on that will ultimately determine how fast you can play so concentrate on those instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com