I have a jackson Dk-2 Dinky. I'm thinking of getting an Emg 81 TODAY. I want to put the EMG 81 at the bridge but want to remove the 2 single coils (like Alexi Laiho with just a bridge pup, but with an Emg). Is it possible to Put the 81 with a 5 selector switch alone.

Thanks.
Well, you could, but the thing is, you'd leave a giant gap in there, and it be more complicated to wire up.

What's wrong with your tone just now? And what's your amp?

EMGs won't make anything sound metal unless you have a high gain valve amp.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I have an old Crate amp, which has decent distortion. I use a distortion pedal though. The reason is that I have a dimebucker that doesnt sound too good. And need an active pickup.
i had a 5 switch as well. trust me, its easier to just get a 3-way switch than trying to wire the 5. and Macker is right about the gap thing. i'd put at least something there... even if you don't use it often.
Quote by Diablo1986
i had a 5 switch as well. trust me, its easier to just get a 3-way switch than trying to wire the 5. and Macker is right about the gap thing. i'd put at least something there... even if you don't use it often.

The reason is that I think I might end out putting 2 Emg single coils in later. But for now I need an 81.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
I have an old Crate amp, which has decent distortion. I use a distortion pedal though. The reason is that I have a dimebucker that doesnt sound too good. And need and active pickup.

You don't NEED an active pickup. A Dimebucker will sound a hell of a lot better if you replaced the Crate (which is a transistor amp, which really don't go well with active/very high output pickups) with a decent valve one. OK, maybe there is a ton of better pickups than that, but still, my point remains valid.

So yeah. What's your budget?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
You don't NEED an active pickup. A Dimebucker will sound a hell of a lot better if you replaced the Crate (which is a transistor amp, which really don't go well with active/very high output pickups) with a decent valve one. OK, maybe there is a ton of better pickups than that, but still, my point remains valid.

So yeah. What's your budget?

Right now My Budget is About $120 on a pickup.
i see, well if you know how to solder and understand how the wiring works, then i'd say go for it... but it gets a little complicated with the 5-ways.
Quote by Lil Macker

+1

Amp first, the only time I've heard EMG's sound good through a SS is if the SS is from like the 70's, 80's and is made really well, not just mass produced
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
the EMG 81 comes with all you need, volume /tone output. Just forget about the 5 way and wire it up how they supply it, but use 18v if you can!