For those who don't know, this is a netbook

Can Microsoft Word and Powerpoint be put on one such as this? I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas, but I'm confused as to if they are only for searching the net or if other tasks can be accomplished on them.

Thanks
-the computer noob

I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
They don't have a CD drive so you'd either need to download an iso of it or make one from your current Office disk.

Or use OpenOffice which is free and downloadable.
Could you load it onto a USB? I guess that would be making one from my current office disk.

Also, do you think they're worth it (netbook) or just a gimmick?

Thanks again.

Why not just buy a proper laptop, you can get a low end one for probably better price than that thing.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Could you load it onto a USB? I guess that would be making one from my current office disk.

Thanks again.
They're meant to be extremely portable and affordable, at that they're excellent, but they're meant to be work horses for students.

If you're looking for an all-purpose laptop then the eee isn't meant to be a desktop replacement like other laptops are, it's more like a desktop as-well-as.

Thanks again.

not really a gimmick, just useless to me. maybe u like it tho
For those who don't know, this is a netbook

Can Microsoft Word and Powerpoint be put on one such as this? I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas, but I'm confused as to if they are only for searching the net or if other tasks can be accomplished on them.

Thanks
-the computer noob

It's a normal computer with windows. It's only smaller. Doesn't have a drive, but you can always get an external drive connected to USB or you can download (or make) an ISO of office, like someone above me mentioned.
Thanks for the replies.
I'll research both them and cheap laptops (parents said they'd put $300 towards it for Christmas). But I'd probably be happier with a cheap laptop and just pay like $200 towards it..

Quote by rasveer

Reasons for it being better? I'd probably have to get an externam hard drive as it only has 16GB but that wouldn't be a problem if it really is better.

I'm pretty used to XP. It looks like most of them have both Linux and Xp though.