Well, I'm going to be complelety overhauling my strat, new pickups, new wiring harness, new pots ect. Since I'm going to be guting the thing i figured i would get it a new paint job while I'mat it. What are some good color schemes/paint desings? The original color is gun-metal grey/black pickgaurd. Anything i should know about painting guitar bodies? Should I sand before the first coat?
I would highly recommend taking it to someone to get done. It's a very hard and tedious process, and without practicing on a few guitars, it's quite likely that it will turn out horribly. If you're going to be spending so much money on pickups and pots and all that, don't ruin the guitar by making it unenjoyable to play.
yous should put a black base and swirl it with white, lime green, and bright orange
then get a clear pick guard it will be a sexy beast
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Well, I'm going to be complelety overhauling my strat, new pickups, new wiring harness, new pots ect. Since I'm going to be guting the thing i figured i would get it a new paint job while I'mat it. What are some good color schemes/paint desings? The original color is gun-metal grey/black pickgaurd. Anything i should know about painting guitar bodies? Should I sand before the first coat?
Check this if you still have no idea about refinishing: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

After you've done your research, re-read the ones you like so it all makes sense.

As far as colors and/or design, that's highly personal. Go with one that you know will look decent, given your skill set. Good Luck!

If you like van halen you could always do an EVH paintjob i did one to my warlock and it came out pretty good. if you want one like the 5150 this guy pretty much takes you step by step and tells you what to do and what you need.

http://www.crazywebbys.com/~5150/index.htm
It's not my imagination, I've got a gun on my back!