Hey got a MIM Strat and Tele ....bought them both before i really had a feel for what type of music & string gauge i like.

The strat has the fender bullet 9's on them and i think my strat was setup with thin 9's

Anyway....i really enjoy playing classic rock or metal for the most part. My strat sounds ok, and my tele sounds way to thin.

So....i was consdiering either buying a single coil replacement for the strat or a new pair for my tele?

what do you guys recommend, is swapping them out easy, my background is electronics engineer, so i can solder and follow instructions

How big of a chore is it to put a humbucker in the strat????

What do you recommend...i havent modded a guitar before, so wonder what i should do and what pickups to get.....any recommendations....i also want to put 10's on them
Quote by boyd98
Hey got a MIM Strat and Tele ....bought them both before i really had a feel for what type of music & string gauge i like.

The strat has the fender bullet 9's on them and i think my strat was setup with thin 9's

Anyway....i really enjoy playing classic rock or metal for the most part. My strat sounds ok, and my tele sounds way to thin.

So....i was consdiering either buying a single coil replacement for the strat or a new pair for my tele?

what do you guys recommend, is swapping them out easy, my background is electronics engineer, so i can solder and follow instructions

How big of a chore is it to put a humbucker in the strat????

What do you recommend...i havent modded a guitar before, so wonder what i should do and what pickups to get.....any recommendations....i also want to put 10's on them

I don't recommend modding your pickguard for a full size humbucker. Instead, check out these two:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/cool_rails_for/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_s/

If you absolutely have to have a full sized humbucker, just buy a HSS pickguard. MIM strats are already routed for HSS, so you'll just have to replace the pickguard. I really recommend one of the above humbuckers, though, they'll sound just as good.

Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio both have calculators on their websites to help you choose, also.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

Also, let us know what your budget is, and we can give you some better advice

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the classic rock part. In that case, I'd say go with the hot rails that I linked to above. You might also want to consider Fender Vintage Noiseless.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Nov 15, 2008,
Based on what you've said, you probably want Seymour Duncan Hotrails.

They fit in a single coil slot, so you won't have to route your pickguard for a humbucker.

For your Tele, since you said it sounds thin, you could install
this in the bridge.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Nov 15, 2008,
Really I play a lot of typical stuff, acdc, skynard, zz top, sabboth

what about those emg-t package set for the tele

on the strat should i just replace the bridge position?
Last edited by boyd98 at Nov 15, 2008,
It depends on what your main guitar is, and what your budget is. If you play your strat the most, replace those p/ups, and vice versa.

If you can afford the EMGs, go for them. I didn't know your budget, so I linked some mid-priced pickups.
Alright - you guys sold me after reviewing the hot rails -

what do you think, one for just the bridge....

easy to wire?
I'm assuming you're going to mod the strat then.

I'd just take it to a luthier and not chance messing it up.
i disagree with hot/cool rails. for what you want, get a new pickguard and a full-size humbucker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im an impulse buyer, i read the descrip on the hot rails and listen'd to some youtube vids....just bought one for the bridge on my strat.

I'll let you know how it goes...thx again for the recommendations
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree with hot/cool rails. for what you want, get a new pickguard and a full-size humbucker.

Out of curiosity, Dave, what do you think the difference would be? From the clips I've heard, they sound just as good as a full size bucker, but I could be wrong.
any rail type pickups i've tried sound more like hot, noiseless singles than real humbuckers... you can kind of get away with them in the neck (considering that position sounds warmer generally), but certainly in the bridge position, they don't much sound like full-size humbuckers to my ears.

i haven't tried every single coil-sized humbucker on the market, though, it's possible some others do a better job of it (e.g. dimarzio tone zone S, etc., i haven't tried ones like that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?