Or improvisations. And it's pissing me off. I had a gig with my band yesterday and I realized then and there watching lots of guitarists have been playing for less time than me, for all my knowlege and ability, my improvisations and solos are pretty weak.

I think I need some reference material and work at this from the ground up. Can anyone recommend me some great solos (not too complex) with great feeling that I can go off and learn?

Also any advice would be brilliant..
Well, what do you consider a "good solo" and why do you think the other guitarists were "better".

Were they just more technically proficient? Or did they have perfect timing? Or something else?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Try some blues. Tis' the music of emotion IMO. Gilmour also put a lot of feeling into his solos. If you want something more modern, take a look at Steve Vai, albeit he's instrumental, so your going to need to figure out what is and what isn't a solo you can improv. Jeff Beck is also good, but again, instrumental. If I had to recommend one guitarist to study here though, it's a tie IMO between SRV and Slowhand. Your call there.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
duncan coffe jingle by metaloclypse ( jokes ) id say the first harmonic solo of mop.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
November Rain.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

How well do you know music theory? Learning which scales to play over which chords really helps open you up to multiple ideas. Learning technique based things give you chops to play with the scales. In the end it's all about note selection, phrasing, and more of both

Improvisation is using both chops, theory, and of course creativity to write some good solos.

For good chops, look at blues or blues based guys, SRV, Santana, Hendrix, Hammett, Satriani. More modal players would be holdworth, al de meola, petrucci, and just about all of the other shred/metal players out there.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm not sure if you actually need to learn more solos - you can't "learn" feeling. Sounds like your problem is twofold. You're probably not really listening to what you play, and probably not thinking enough about the sound you're producing. Instead you're more likely just going through familiar motions and following shapes you know as opposed to actually playing music. Listen to what you're playing, listen to what you're playing along to and make a conscious effort to think "What note will work here and how will it fit with the one I just played". Improving your theory knowledge will probably help too as it gives you a head start in knowing what notes work together but ultimately it's all about the ears.

If you want a couple of things to listen to though check out Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore, all the solos in November Rain by Guns and Roses and anything by Dave Gilmour, especially Comfortably Numb.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by necrosis1193
Try some blues. Tis' the music of emotion IMO. Gilmour also put a lot of feeling into his solos. If you want something more modern, take a look at Steve Vai, albeit he's instrumental, so your going to need to figure out what is and what isn't a solo you can improv. Jeff Beck is also good, but again, instrumental. If I had to recommend one guitarist to study here though, it's a tie IMO between SRV and Slowhand. Your call there.

+3.1415926535897932384626433832795

This Man Knows What he is Saying...Stick to it
Quote by slash4114
November Rain.

Horrible imo...

Feeling song... anything with neal schon/ Journey

The other guy is right.. listen to some blues and I'm not talking any of these new guys... listen to BB King or Gatemouth Brown. Those guys play with feeling.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
I'd definantly take a look at Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Possibly the greatest guitar solo of all time, just in that song. Alot of other Pink Floyd stuff is awesome too, study up on them if you're into it.

Hendrix is great for that too. Most of his songs are all raw emotion bled through a guitar.

Some Ozzy Osbourne stuff, Goodbye to Romance, Tonight, Mama Im Coming Home, also.
Knockin' on Heaven's Door- Guns N' Roses (first solo)
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Shadowplay13
sounds like someone needs some ear training

Me?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
My honest advice, cause I think putting feeling into my improv and solo's is probably what I'm best at with playing guitar, (I lack more in the rhythm section and such), but I found learning and reading up on Modes and Keys helped me sooo effin much when it came to improv and writing solos. Knowing which root note to work with what key, when to slow down and what notes I should be bending to what pitch, it was all from that knowledge. Read up on it, I think it will help much more than learning someone elses solos.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
To me it's hard to solo and really "feel" it without the solo really BELONGING to a song. If a solo doesn't seem to fit, then it probably won't sound or feel good to play.

One I quite like and is no doubt played with a lot of feel is I Could Have Lied by RHCP on BSSM. You'll notice that the song almost builds up with the solo and indeed ends with it too. Basically it may not be your playing is the point I'm trying to make here ...
I actually had this problem too. I figured out a good way to use a set of rules in order to make it feel better.
First-really listen to the solos ure creating. I thought i was listening at first, but you have to really pay attention and always think" did that little piece add on to the main idea of the solo?"
And heres what i did(and this might not work for everyone, keep in mind)- I limited my scales to only a couple of notes, for maybe 2 weeks. I still used bends, but i didnt use any octaves or anything super flashy. I just focused on what sounded cool if i used only the first octave of the scale.
Then, when you start using everything else, it seems like your whole pallette of sounds expands exponentially(sp?)
heres a metaphor: its like painting in black and white, to really get a nice feel for it, and then gradually using a ton of amazing colors.
I hope this helped somehow, i dunno, maybe i sound stupid
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
You have to have an idea in your head of how you wan't it to sound. If you just run up and down a scale it's going to sound very boring. Try humming a melody in you head and then play it on the guitar. After some practise you can try singing along to your solos, this forces you to think of what you are playing.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Just jam to songs, if people have patience they will let u practice and you will get better, or people will be selfish and not let you solo because you aren't that good, but eventually you will have a picture of what u want it to sound like and it will just come to you.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by ronburgundy1234
Floods by Pantera, that solo is exploding with feeling

+1

i dont even really like Pantera but that solo is definitely one of the greatest solos of all time.
Go over your modes, man. I can't put into words how useful they are. Also, check out some songs like Floods, as already mentioned, and If I Could Fly by Joe Satriani. One of the best instrumentals ever, in my opinion.
Quote by Tomaz24
Or improvisations. And it's pissing me off. I had a gig with my band yesterday and I realized then and there watching lots of guitarists have been playing for less time than me, for all my knowlege and ability, my improvisations and solos are pretty weak.

I think I need some reference material and work at this from the ground up. Can anyone recommend me some great solos (not too complex) with great feeling that I can go off and learn?

Also any advice would be brilliant..

Work with that. Use your guitar to express how pissed you are!
You stole my Overture