View poll results: Artists or Composers
I prefer Artists to Composers
8 7%
I don't care as long as the music is good
51 47%
I prefer Composers to Artists.
50 46%
Voters: 109.
Me and a few people were having a discussion over which was better, artists or composers. We defined artists as musicians who don't write their own music or lyrics, but just perform. While composers go the full mile. The main argument was that composers put much more effort into music than artists do and they deserve more credit than the person just singing/playing the music. So what do you think? In general, would you rather hear bands/composers who wrote their own stuff? Or would you rather hear people playing other people's music and getting all the credit?

• I generally prefer composers to artists.
  • I don't really care as long as the music is good
  • I prefer artists to composers.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
IMO composers write more complex pieces of music/songs.

edit:
i.e. artist: Neil Young etc.
composer: Trent Reznor, Matt Bellamy, Yorke/Greenwood etc.
Last edited by heaven's gate at Nov 15, 2008,
However, many times composers aren't as good singers, or something. Take Bob Dylan. He a great composer, but his voice wass very nasally, now its very gravelly
Artist is a general word for someone who's business is art.

A composer is someone who composes things, mainly music.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
the two are synonymous. If you're an artist, then by definition you're creating art which is in this case music. A composer in my mind is someone who writes the WHOLE song by themselves, not just the lyrics or Guitar 1 or something.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
It depends. I would consider someone like Alice Cooper an artist, because he brings more than just music, he brings the stage-show, image, theater, ect.. I'd consider someone like John Lennon a composer.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by Ace88
the two are synonymous. If you're an artist, then by definition you're creating art which is in this case music. A composer in my mind is someone who writes the WHOLE song by themselves, not just the lyrics or Guitar 1 or something.

Yeah, and basically all artists do is create vocals, not the actual music. So, they create in a sense, but they don't have as much work/effor put into the entire proccess itself.

^That's just my oppinion
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

I would not consider someone like Britney Spears who doesn't create anything an Artist. A real composer would be an Artist. I have no respect for the b.s. pop acts.
Quote by fr33t0m
I would not consider someone like Britney Spears who doesn't create anything an Artist. A real composer would be an Artist. I have no respect for the b.s. pop acts.

+infinity
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
While both are synonymous, going by you're definition I say that both are equally important. Composers provide the music to be performed, and artists charismatically and skillfully perform that music for the composer in ways that he/she may not be able to, even long after he/she is dead. Without composers, what music would we have to perform? And without "artists", who would we have to perform that music well?
What about composer artists?

*cough* Prince *cough*
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by GoDrex
If singing and performing is an art - as in the performing arts - -than a pop singer would be considered a type of artist, but not a composer if they didn't compose any of the music they perform.

Mmmhm. You got it.

Otherwise I don't see a point to this discussion...

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Music is an art form. Anyone who practices music seriously is an artist.

You're talking about performer versus composer, which are not mutually exclusive. Their roles vary by the culture of their music.

-In classical, composers and performers are very specialized. Rarely do composers themselves perform the pieces they write. They rather commission it for special performers.
-In jazz, composers may write a very general lead sheet, in which jazz performers use to interpret it in their own way.
-In commercial pop, it's similar to classical. Specialized studio composers solely write specific music for specialized singer/performers.
-In rock/metal, musicians are expected to both play and write their own music, which I find is often inefficient, as there are many instances where either the music is subpar or the playing can't carry out the music very well.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
What about composer artists?

*cough* Prince *cough*

If they wrote their own stuff, and performed it. Or were in a collaborating band that created everything together, then they are composers.
However, if he just showed up and played what everyone else had written and was considered a part of the band without contributing anything but performance, then they would be considered an artist.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Quote by bambamm89
If they wrote their own stuff, and performed it. Or were in a collaborating band that created everything together, then they are composers.
However, if he just showed up and played what everyone else had written and was considered a part of the band without contributing anything but performance, then they would be considered an artist.

Prince writes all his songs, a lot of everyone else's, recorded every single instrument on his first album.

He's a composer AND an artist.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
He's a composer AND an artist.

Is it really that much of a feat?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Is it really that much of a feat?

Not particularly, but he's one of the very best.
Quote by SteveHouse
I feel stupid because I didn't read your definitions before voting...
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Totally depends.

Frank Sinatra? Great singer, played with great bands... but the arrangements were also great. I couldn't tell you who i resepct more and I think it's a pointless argument. In the end, what matters is the final product and a couple of different great aspects have gone into making something great and it just becomes silly, eventually, to try and point to who and when and why.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
Totally depends.

Frank Sinatra? Great singer, played with great bands... but the arrangements were also great. I couldn't tell you who i resepct more and I think it's a pointless argument. In the end, what matters is the final product and a couple of different great aspects have gone into making something great and it just becomes silly, eventually, to try and point to who and when and why.

I couldn't have put it better.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Quote by Leo_Watkins
Niether, as they are the same thing

Non!
Quote by SteveHouse
Artists - well a general blanket term but in this context it's the person who performs it.

Composer - the person who wrote it.
Quote by SteveHouse
Nah it's fine ^__^;;

I stand by what I said earlier though... you know.... that Prince pwns all >__>
Quote by SteveHouse
I don't care. According to the lower option, most classical musicians aren't better than FOB. And anyway you'd be surprised at the amount of people that played other people's music, such as Frank Sinatra for example.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

My thing with it is that an artist can actual play the music
(so to speak. Not saying that composers cannot play music)
the artist actually paints the picture
the composer just lays out the instructions
or something

not to say that anybody can write
but there are people who 'compose' non-sense just because they can

I think this thread should have been
"Performers or Composers"
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
What does that make Matt Bellamy? He writes all the music, composes all the music, plays and piano, guitar, and sings and writes all the lyrics as well? He is an artist, composer and makes good music. He is everything man, even if you don't like Muse, thats impressive for any musician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam4
He doesn't play notes, he just wiggles his knob.
I think a better term for "artist" would be performers since i think you need to create it yourself to be an artist but composers just because they created it, they deserve the credit.
Hmm, agree with Reva in that artist does tend to be a bit of a blanket term. I have referred to myself as an acoustic artist at times, but I write everything. Whereas when someone says composer generally one thinks of the Bachs and Mozarts, who write the music but aren't the performers.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Music is an art form. Anyone who practices music seriously is an artist.

You're talking about performer versus composer, which are not mutually exclusive. Their roles vary by the culture of their music.

-In classical, composers and performers are very specialized. Rarely do composers themselves perform the pieces they write. They rather commission it for special performers.
-In jazz, composers may write a very general lead sheet, in which jazz performers use to interpret it in their own way.
-In commercial pop, it's similar to classical. Specialized studio composers solely write specific music for specialized singer/performers.
-In rock/metal, musicians are expected to both play and write their own music, which I find is often inefficient, as there are many instances where either the music is subpar or the playing can't carry out the music very well.

I aggree.

And wouldnt the people that dont write their own songs and just preform be called prefromers? Unless of corse someone brings up the fact that prefoming is also a type of art...then they would be artists so...wtf?
Quote by lordofthefood1
My thing with it is that an artist can actual play the music
(so to speak. Not saying that composers cannot play music)
the artist actually paints the picture
the composer just lays out the instructions
or something

not to say that anybody can write
but there are people who 'compose' non-sense just because they can

I think this thread should have been
"Performers or Composers"

That's pretty much how it is. Just worded differently. Performers=Artists.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.