I'm not a beginner, I've been playing electric guitar for about two years, and I have never really played any song without a pick. Can you suggest me any songs suitable to a beginner in fingerpicking that are interesting to learn, please don't say Stairway to heaven or Nothing else matters, I've been playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata, something like that (classical music) will be fine. Thanks
I forgot to mention it, already tried that, thanks anyway, any other suggestions?
"Dee" - Randy Rhoads? Erik Satie's Gymnopédies?
Last edited by Flying Couch at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by Flying Couch
"Dee" - Randy Rhoads? Erik Satie's Gymnopédies?

Thanks, that's what I had in mind

Quote by Birchall17
Spanish Romance

This one seems to be easy, I'm interested in playing simple melodies combined with rhytm, this one looks like it's only arpeggios
A few I always warm up with or randomly like to play:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" Led
"The Heart of Life" John Mayer
"Neon" John Mayer
"Layla (Acoustic)" Clapton

Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
"Mr. Bojangles"
"Fire & Rain"
"Blackbird"
"Seagul"
"Mother Nature's Son"
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Mason Williams - Classical Gas
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There?
Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D Major
over the hills and far away is a really nice song...theres an electric part yes, but you dont' need to play that part.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
i like to play
i love my parents- buckethead
the intro of M.I.A.- avenged sevenfold
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
over the hills and far away is a really nice song...theres an electric part yes, but you dont' need to play that part.

Excellent! One of my fav songs, can't believe I forgot to mention it.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Spanish Caravan - The Doors.

Ok, that's actually not possible to play so let's leave it.

How 'bout the Godfather Waltz? Theres a Guitar Pro tab around with it done really well.
Quote by Mr_Oujamaflip
Spanish Caravan - The Doors.

Ok, that's actually not possible to play so let's leave it.
well.

+1 I lold

Some Zeppelin is pretty good. Iron And Wine, Ressurection Fern, if you can find accurate tabs, or tab it yourself. Boy With a Coin is also inredible and fun to play once you get it down.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi

Pretty sure that's played with a pick.

Anyway, you said classical guitar stuff, but might I interest you in a little Heart?
Quote by Flying Couch
Pretty sure that's played with a pick.

Anyway, you said classical guitar stuff, but might I interest you in a little Heart?

Yeah, but the acoustic part sounds fine fingerpicked? But yes, it usually is played with a pick.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by ivan987
I'm not a beginner, I've been playing electric guitar for about two years, and I have never really played any song without a pick. Can you suggest me any songs suitable to a beginner in fingerpicking that are interesting to learn, please don't say Stairway to heaven or Nothing else matters, I've been playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata, something like that (classical music) will be fine. Thanks

Try Bach Bouree in E and Sor has some great classical finger picking stuff.

Also, on the rock side of things, try Dust in the Wind by Kansas....very good finger picking song done on a regular acoustic 6 string!!
I guess its because im retarded..i can't fingerpick..strings get caught in nails...so basically i just play a guitar with out a pick like a base...gets the job done nicely...lol
Quote by michaelscofield
A few I always warm up with or randomly like to play:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" Led
"The Heart of Life" John Mayer
"Neon" John Mayer
"Layla (Acoustic)" Clapton

I'm gonna leave you is a good one man.

+1!

Does anyone know any very difficult finger picking artists?
Any album you reccomend for advanced finger picking?

I've been playing about 5 or 6 years.
I've never got into it that much, but I'm past the basics for sure.
Since there are some fingerpickers around in here, does anyone struggle with fingerpicking when their fingernails are short. I mean i can fingerpick, but only when my nails have a bit of length to them. I can't keep them very long because of work and sport. Anyone else have this issue?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Are you talking about songs to sing+play or just arrangements? Not exactly an album, but if you really want to go hardcore with the fingerpicking you may want to look at grabbing Edgar Cruz's Queen arrangements DVD. Absolutely brilliant arrangements of Queen songs that aren't for the faint of heart to practice lol.
Takamine EG341SC
Fur Elise by Beethoven is a fun piece.
No Woman, No Cry by Bob Marley sounds nice finger picked.
If by Pink Floyd is dumb easy.
As stated Is There Anybody Out There? by Pink Floyd is a favorite of mine.