Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar for nearly 4 years and I play flute. I'm pretty knowledgeable in terms of music theory and I mostly play off of sheet music. But I still don't refer to myself as a musician.

I'm not modest or anything, I just think it's presumptuous. If someone asks me if I'm a musician I say, 'no, but I do play instruments.'

How 'bout you?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
mu⋅si⋅cian
   /myuˈzɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [myoo-zish-uhn] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who makes music a profession, esp. as a performer of music.
2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Yes. I do. I love performing, and I am slightly skilled.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Do you play music?

Then you're a musician.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I know theory fairly well, played drums for 6 years, now ****ing around on guitar, but no I can't call myself musician yet. I gotta long way to go to get at the level I wanna be
I do, sometimes... It depends on what the convorsation is about. If were talking about instruments i can acctually PLAY, such as guitar, bass, a little bit of keyboards, and harmonica, then yes, i refer to myself as a musician. I can also read sheet music, so, to me, that counts for something
I do, mainly because I heard girls like musicains so I began wearing a sign round my neck saying that I was one ... didn't go aswell as planned tbh.
No, I'm a guitarist, I don't actually know anything about music, apart from if it sounds good to me or not lol.
only if it'll get me poon
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
I just feel playing an instrument doesn't make me a musician any more than writing makes me a writer.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by ToweringFlesh
I know theory fairly well, played drums for 6 years, now ****ing around on guitar, but no I can't call myself musician yet. I gotta long way to go to get at the level I wanna be

You're still a musician, even if you're not professio-

Never mind.

Drummer.

Carmel is hawt
I call myself Hanzi_G.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Uh.. Yes.

I can play guitar, bass, tuba, clarinet, bass clarinet.
I can read both treble and bass clef.

I think I'm qualified as a musician.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Ace88
Do you play music?

Then you're a musician.

+1

even if you're bad at your instrument, if you play music then you are a musician (albeit a bad one)
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
No, I'm a drummer.

Well done. You know your place.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Well done. You know your place.

Win for you.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by SGstriker
Uh.. Yes.

I can play guitar, bass, tuba, clarinet, bass clarinet.
I can read both treble and bass clef.

I think I'm qualified as a musician.

Yes, but are you a racist?

I just look at all the greats and think 'man, those are musicians, not me.'
I write my own songs.
I can record.
I play guitar soon for 3 years
I have knowledge in basic theory
I can play some bass

...i class myself as a musician.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
I can play by ear, sightread, I have perfect pitch and I'm really good at improvisation. I consider myself a musician, because I can sit down with a band or an orchestra and I can just play along with whatever they're playing, no problem. I obviously still have a lot to learn though.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Of course your a musician, and it doesn't make you presumptuous to say so.
Quote by 40oz2freeedom
just ask her to touch her toes naked....shell never expect whats next
To everyone in this thread saying you can 'play some bass': anyone that plays guitar can play some bass, it doesn't count as an extra instrument unless you are actually a proper skilled bassist, with the slappin' and the poppin' etc.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Rick Allen>you

Pfft I don't care if a NONMUSICIAN is > me.
Carmel is hawt
I do consider myself a musician. I have played guitar for 5 and a half years, I can read treble and bass clef, I am very proficient with theory, I have a well trained ear, and I perform regularly.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Pfft I don't care if a NONMUSICIAN is > me.

Drummers and bassists>guitarists.

Now stop being a guitard!
Quote by Dallen_007
Of course your a musician, and it doesn't make you presumptuous to say so.

Not necessarily.

My sister has got a distinction in grade 5 theory and advanced grades on flute and piano. BUT- she failed practical musicianship three times, she can't tell if a chord is major or minor by listening to it, she can't play by ear or improvise to save her life.

She's an instrumentalist, not a musician.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Not necessarily.

My sister has got a distinction in grade 5 theory and advanced grades on flute and piano. BUT- she failed practical musicianship three times, she can't tell if a chord is major or minor by listening to it, she can't play by ear or improvise to save her life.

She's an instrumentalist, not a musician.

I like that distinction. A musician must have some musicality to be a musician, in my opinion. I do have a good ear and I've passed those exams up till now, but I still don't think I'm a musician. Perhaps when I start performing more, who knows.
This whole thread is really a semantics debate between people who think that musicians are people who play music and people who think that musicians are people who are any good at it. In my eyes, rabidguitarist, your sister is a musician.
I play guitar, I read music, I understand the very basic
even if I su.. I'm not good at these 3 thing, I'm a musician
a shity one, but still
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by grampastumpy
This whole thread is really a semantics debate between people who think that musicians are people who play music and people who think that musicians are people who are any good at it. In my eyes, rabidguitarist, your sister is a musician.

But she can't even tap her feet to music.

You can teach anyone to do tricks, you can only teach some to make their own.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Page 1 of 2