I have a Mesa F-30, and I'm looking for an OD pedal that can push it to metalcore distortion. Even on the contour channel it's just not heavy enough.

I've received recommendations for the Fulltone OCD, but I wanted to know what else is out there. Budget is around $150 tops, but I don't really want to spend that much.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
I know you said your budget is $150 tops, but for a high-gain overdrive pedal (which is almost an oxymoron), I'd look at the Catalinbread Super Charged overdrive. I've been researching this pedal for a very long time and it's actually on its way to my house right now, I can't wait!

I have been searching for a high-gain overdrive pedal for a long time myself, and so far, the Fulltone OCD and the Catalinbread SCOD are the only ones out there that I know of.
I was about to make a thread similar to this so I'll ask here instead.

Will either of those OD's give out a good Tool overdrive? All I have is a single channel Blackheart amp and I need an OD that can get a good Adam Jones like overdrive.
I think with something like a Mesa a simple tube screamer would be enough to push your amp into the metalcore zone you're aiming for...
The OCD sounds like a cranked Marshall, and that's what it's meant to mimic.

The SCOD has a very smooth, natural sounding drive. It's very neutral and it leaves your tone alone. However, it does have a bit of fuzz in it that increases as the gain is increased.
Quote by GoDrex
The OCD will not create a metal tone on a BH Little Giant. It would be nice with an amp that already has a good crunch tone.

Yea I figured an OD wouldn't help me there

I'm kinda dumb with this stuff, but if I ran two OD's in succession, would that give me more gain? Or no?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Yea I figured an OD wouldn't help me there

I'm kinda dumb with this stuff, but if I ran two OD's in succession, would that give me more gain? Or no?

It would technically, but since you're layering two different channels of diode clipping, you'll just get a really choppy diode signal. That's another beauty of the SCOD, it doesn't clip your signal or use diodes, it actually does just what you're describing. It layers gain stages, so you could just keep piling them up on each other and it would still sound natural. I think a single SCOD uses four stages.
Quote by Loxley
It would technically, but since you're layering two different channels of diode clipping, you'll just get a really choppy diode signal. That's another beauty of the SCOD, it doesn't clip your signal or use diodes, it actually does just what you're describing. It layers gain stages, so you could just keep piling them up on each other and it would still sound natural. I think a single SCOD uses four stages.

So how would two scod's in line sound? Or a differentl OD (say, a TS 808) with an scod behind it?
Dude, I too have an F series (F-50) and it can EASILY get into metal or metalcore territory alone. You say you have it on the contour channel, what are your settings?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Uh, pretending like the dial is a clock...

Gain 1
Treble 2
Mid 11
bass 10

but that's when I'm playing in my alternative band. I lower the mids a bit when I'm going for a heavier signal, but it's still not "there." It might be the 6L6s vs. the EL84s, who knows...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Any OD pedal will drive that amp enough on it's distortion channel. Now, if you're talking about using the clean channel then I would get the Boss MT2 Metal Zone.
boost more mids. you need em at least at 1 o'clock on the F series. they are a bassy amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Laidback,
The F-50 uses 6L6s, the F-30 uses EL34s. That may be the problem, considering most modern metalcore uses more american voicings as opposed to the british style voicings (I'm not into metalcore so I don't know much about the amps they use, though I've seen alot of mesa, and almost every mesa aside from the F-30s and the Stilettos almost exclusively uses 6L6s, not counting the progressive linking of the roadkings/roadsters).

Bfloyd
Haven't seen you in these forums, suppose you're elsewhere on the site. For future reference: Recommending a buzz can like an MT-2 is a no-no on this here page.

I recommend new tubes first.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the F-30 uses EL84s.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Nov 17, 2008,
highest gain, and best pedal for tightening up an already pretty heavy sound is the mxr zw-44, and yes its is not the best for clean bluesy overdrive, but for adding to a distortion channel I find it hard to beat.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by Jak Archer
Zvex box of Metal

*falcepalm*

the fulltone OCD is the way to go imo but lots of people prefer the maxon 0D-9/ ibanez tubescreamer for boosting amps. you might wanna try them out
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Laidback,
The F-50 uses 6L6s, the F-30 uses EL34s. That may be the problem, considering most modern metalcore uses more american voicings as opposed to the british style voicings (I'm not into metalcore so I don't know much about the amps they use, though I've seen alot of mesa, and almost every mesa aside from the F-30s and the Stilettos almost exclusively uses 6L6s, not counting the progressive linking of the roadkings/roadsters).

Bfloyd
Haven't seen you in these forums, suppose you're elsewhere on the site. For future reference: Recommending a buzz can like an MT-2 is a no-no on this here page.

I recommend new tubes first.
Listen to this guy.

The F-30, unlike the other F-series amps, use EL84 tubes, as opposed to 6L6's, which offer more of a British voicing that isn't quite as well suited to American voiced high gain. I'm not sure if you can switch to 6L6's on the F-30, but if you can, I would try that before buying an OD pedal, they already have quite a bit of gain stock.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I know the 30's use a EL84, but they can still hit metal territory. I did it when I was trying one out and comparing it to the 50. True, the 6L6's can do modern metal tones better than the EL84's, I might have been under the influence when making these posts, so that slipped my mind, but I know for a fact the Stiletto can get freakin heavy.

Ok, so to sum it up, I think your F-30 can get the sounds you want if you go for an EQ first, then an OD if you need more tweakability.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
el84s can't be switched out for 6L6s, right?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
No, EL84s are oddballs since they have 9 pins like preamp tubes while 6l6s and EL34s have 8 pins.

I think if you boost your mids (this will give you more gain, mesas are crazy like that) and lower your master a bit you'll get what you want. If you still aren't getting it then try an eq in the loop, dime the mids and treble on the amp, put the bass at 9-10 o clock and use the eq to shape your tone. The tone section is before the preamp so it in itself is really a boost. If you still don't have enough gain then a clean boost in front of the amp ought to put you there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I used to own an F-30 and it did modern metal fine.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com