Ok so I recently gave my amp to a friend so she can start learning guitar.

However I now want to record some stuff with my electric guitar. My other amp is at my bassist's house so the question is:

Using audacity, is there a cheap and simple way I could plug my guitar straight into my amp (well straight with pedals inbetween)? Do I just need an adaptor or do I need a line6 pre-amp etc?

Links, names and references would be helpful.

Thanks!
If you have just have regular sound card with an 1/8th inch input you can just buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. That is the most basic suggestion, it shouldn't cost you more than $5.
Quote by Scooch
If you have just have regular sound card with an 1/8th inch input you can just buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. That is the most basic suggestion, it shouldn't cost you more than $5.

How will that sound? Does it lose quality etc?
Quote by Scooch

Unless you buy it at Radioshack.
Bastards.
Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK to get an adaptor, if possible a shop not online (ie Argos or Comet or something instead of ordering online)?

I'd rather buy it in hand than have to pay postage etc.
Also, is there any way of DI'ing into the USB port or would I need to buy a, for example, Line6 POD?

I'm really not looking to spend much money, this is just for quick idea jotting/simple MIDI recordings etc.
if you want to direct record using USB, you'll need some kind of soundcard. you can get a line 6 toneport for very cheap though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if you want to direct record using USB, you'll need some kind of soundcard. you can get a line 6 toneport for very cheap though

From what I can learn from Gak, that's still a bit much for me.

Possibly at X-Mas I'll get a Line6 or something, but right now I'm too poor.

So it's pretty much DI through soundcard with adaptor or Line6? No other options?
can anybody give me a link to a page that shows something i could just plug my guitar into a usb? if possible the cheapest thing that you can find.
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
can anybody give me a link to a page that shows something i could just plug my guitar into a usb? if possible the cheapest thing that you can find.

and how much will that thing effect my tone?
I am a Stephenist
I've seen this cable at Target that is made for DIing into your computer. It is a 1/4" cable to a USB. Not sure what its called though, think it was like 20 bucks
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I've seen this cable at Target that is made for DIing into your computer. It is a 1/4" cable to a USB. Not sure what its called though, think it was like 20 bucks

StealthPlug?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
you can get an adapter for a few bucks but its not going to give you the best quality recording. if you play around with it though you could get decent results.
Quote by HolmesMonaco
you can get an adapter for a few bucks but its not going to give you the best quality recording. if you play around with it though you could get decent results.

anybody got links to where you could bye this online?
I am a Stephenist
Quote by -Collapse-
Unless you buy it at Radioshack.
Bastards.

+1 i spent $10 on one of those 1/4 female to 1/8 male mono plugs.

but it's gold plated
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by 5150rando
anybody got links to where you could bye this online?

ANYBODY? (sorry, nother bump)
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
thanks, but they dont have a price on it...

can anybody get a link to a place with a price for one?
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
thanks, but they dont have a price on it...

heres pretty much the same thing, with a price: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

and theres this one, which has new software: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pod-Studio-GX-with-Pod-Farm?sku=250006
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

i thought somebody said something about 5 dollars????? those are like 90!!!
I am a Stephenist
no, 1/4-1/8 inch adapters are 5 bucks. technically, you could record with just one of those, but it would sound terrible. if you want amps and effects, you'll need some sort of modeling/recording interface
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
no, 1/4-1/8 inch adapters are 5 bucks. technically, you could record with just one of those, but it would sound terrible. if you want amps and effects, you'll need some sort of modeling/recording interface

do you mean like garage band on a mac? if thats what you mean, im covered.
I am a Stephenist
somebody give me a link to one of those 5 dollar things, please, i want one, despite the recording quality.
I am a Stephenist
google is your friend
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
google is your friend
google isnt very good. i tried it. didnt work. google is a dick...
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
guitar to usb adapters i meant, but thanks
i need a link to that please!
I am a Stephenist
*Reported* 5150rando, stop double & triple posting.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
yea the edit feature is there for a reason...
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
lol, cough cheapskate cough. I used to reocrd guitar through a Yamaha USB Mixer which I got off ebay new for like $200 but now I'm just recording guitar with my Pod X3 Live, it does an awesome job!
theres no such thing as a "guitar to USB adapter" but there are soundcards that you can buy. this isn't something that you can uber cheap out on... just save up a tiny bit and you can get the toneport, which is perfect for your situtation, and later on you can use it to practice through headphones
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand