2 5%
Evil That Men Do - Iron Maiden
3 7%
Ain't Talkin' bout Love - Van Halen
3 7%
other (please state)
9 22%
Voters: 41.
In music I have to choose a solo piece to play (guitar), but I'm having trouble picking a song
Play Jazz or Classical. If you play a rock or metal song, you'll just look like a penis and get a bad grade.

Try out some of Bach's guitar pieces.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Sons De Carrilhoes
Nice spanish guitar, check it out on youtube.
Enjoy jeppelapp responsibly.

Quote by In The Mist
If you led your life by the pit's advice, you would be in prison on multiple charges of rape.
Canon Rock?
Any Satch song?
Glasgow Kiss?

I'm saying this 'cause it can't have vocals, even if it is vocals in the backing track.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by rabidguitarist
Play Jazz or Classical. If you play a rock or metal song, you'll just look like a penis and get a bad grade.

I hope you're not serious.

Play whatever you want. If it appears challenging but you can play it flawlessy you'll get a high grade.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Play the classical song Romance. My chemical romance did a cover of it on their first album if you need to hear it (I can't remember the Spaniard who originally composed it; it was someone who revolutionized the guitar and turned it into a classical instrument as opposed to a peasant's hobby).
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Quote by rabidguitarist

...no.

The style is totally irrelevant, and the difficulty of the piece only changes anything up to grade 5 standard. There is no advantage to playing a grade 8 piece over a grade 5 piece at GCSE.

TS, play any piece you know you can play flawlessly and comfortably, most of the marks come from your own style and how good your performance is.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
...no.

The style is totally irrelevant, and the difficulty of the piece only changes anything up to grade 5 standard. There is no advantage to playing a grade 8 piece over a grade 5 piece at GCSE.

TS, play any piece you know you can play flawlessly and comfortably, most of the marks come from your own style and how good your performance is.

There's 4 categories.

Accuracy - well.. accuracy
Interpretive - how good they made it, and did they use any technical stuff? E.g Wah pedals/other effects.
Expressive - can't remember what this is. And
Demand - the difficulty of the piece.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
There's 4 categories.

Interpretive - how good they made it, and did they use any technical stuff? E.g Wah pedals/other effects.

Yup, and Demand is out of 5, one for each grade.

The other three are to do with how well you play it, not whether or not they're jazz/classical pieces
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
The evil! The evil that men dooo-ooh-ooh!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
There's 4 categories.

But difficultly is the least important.

If it's difficult and you're crap, you get a crap mark, if you do an easy piece 100%, you'll get full marks.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by duncang

The other three are to do with how well you play it, not whether or not they're jazz/classical pieces

Then how come when my GCSE class did our solo performances, all my friends played rock or metal songs on guitar, flawlessly, and got terrible grades, and I played a grade 8 piece on piano and got full marks?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by duncang

Demand is out of 6.

the higher end of Grade 3 is a 5 Demand. Which is pretty stupid.

Quote by jambi_mantra
But difficultly is the least important.

If it's difficult and you're crap, you get a crap mark, if you do an easy piece 100%, you'll get full marks.

But I suppose it's a way to make you progress.

And by difficulty, it's not just speed. It's technicality and wether or not you can keep up with it.
Stuff like improvising over a difficult chord sequence, time signature change into like 7/8, key changes, the odd fast lick etc.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by nightraven
oblivion_rps - your exam mark scheme depends entirely on the exam board.

Good point.
Carmel is hawt
I'm doing GCSE music this year aswell, ive gone for something fairly easy for my solo piece (Joy. Discovery. Invention- Biffy Clyro), just because its so easy i can play it 100% flawlessly. For my group piece, however, im doing Your Hand In Mine- Explosions In The Sky, which is very hard to remember, but tis brilliant for me, and the other guitarist and drummer, as its 3 difficult ish parts, and tis hard to remember.
I remember when I did GCSE Music, got an A. Just remember that you are judged on your ability, timing, dynamics and other aspects of your ability to handle the piece you chose. It doesn't matter what it is, play anything you want, we all did, we all passed, just ensure it has some degree of difficulty you can handle.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by rabidguitarist
Then how come when my GCSE class did our solo performances, all my friends played rock or metal songs on guitar, flawlessly, and got terrible grades, and I played a grade 8 piece on piano and got full marks?

Because whoever marked them is a dumb motherfucker.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by rabidguitarist

I played Master of Puppets (which I hate, by the way) and got an A*.
Quote by duncang
Because whoever marked them is a dumb motherfucker.

But what if he gets the same examiner?

You have to play the game, not do what you think is right and bitch when you find out it's biased.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by daniel.mycoe
I remember when I did GCSE Music, got an A. Just remember that you are judged on your ability, timing, dynamics and other aspects of your ability to handle the piece you chose. It doesn't matter what it is, play anything you want, we all did, we all passed, just ensure it has some degree of difficulty you can handle.

This.

Also, the thing my teachers stress most with pieces is dynamics. There MUST be some sort of noticable dynamic variation.
Carmel is hawt
Doctor Doctor pleeeease play that song!
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Quote by rabidguitarist

You have to play the game, not do what you think is right and bitch when you find out it's biased.

No you just send it back to get it remarked.

Besides, at GCSE, depending on what exam board you're on, it gets marked by your music teacher. I did Through the Never by Metallica, recorded and marked by my music teacher who gave me full marks, it was sent off, verified and I still got full marks.

The point is most of it is common sense, do something easy enough you can play it 100% and is hard enough that it isn't classed as a piece for beginners.

Quote by nightraven
i can't believe i'm agreeing with rabid, lol.

but i don't see why kids have to go all technical and put on their metal image instead of playing a little classical piece on the school guitars.

my gcse exam was marked by our music teachers, not professional examiners and sure it was all recorded but GCSE is not frantically moderated.

lol

Because not everyone wants to, or can play classical music. And if it's like my school, it won't have any guitars to do it on.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
For The Love of God.

/thread
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by rabidguitarist

But 'playing the game' isn't about catering to crap examiners, it's about doing what your teacher or the exam board says you should do.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
This.

Also, the thing my teachers stress most with pieces is dynamics. There MUST be some sort of noticable dynamic variation.

True, adding some little extras in never hurt anyone either. Sometimes myself and a few others in the class would do completely different arrangements of songs to give them more for the markers to go on.

I would recommend doing this to you since then you are able to remove any parts that you have difficulty with and focus on something you find simpler.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by the fendernator
Ahh GCSE music! Those wre the days! I improvised something and got full marks. They can't mark you down unless you hit a bad note or miss a bend.

What the hell?

What exam board was that?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I played this and got a fairly good grade, if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LotiAcF1w
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by eazy-c
For The Love of God.

/thread

Don't do this. It's too long, and boring.

If you wanna do a Vai song, do Tender Surrender.

Quote by the fendernator
Ahh GCSE music! Those wre the days! I improvised something and got full marks. They can't mark you down unless you hit a bad note or miss a bend.

I wanted to do that, but we have to supply Sheet Music, so I can't improvise the whole thing.
Carmel is hawt