2GB of RAM instead of 1 GB on my laptop?
I won't be using it for gaming, just pretty much school, surfing the web, and music.
I'm thinking it will be worth it in the long run, but should I just wait and buy extra RAM?

Thanks
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
If you're not gaming, no. 1gb is more than enough for general usage.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Yeah, I'd do it. Without a doubt if you're running vista. Vista needs a shit ton of memory. XP doesn't need as much, but that extra gig will make it run a lot faster.
deffinitly. 30 for a gig is amazing. HOWEVER is it for a 2g stick or 2 1 gigs? because many pc's cant hold 2 gig sticks.
If you dont want to play games then no you should be fine but adding extra hard drive memory is almost always a good idea.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Do you know what RAM is?

If its your laptop, nobody elses, 1G of RAM is all your ever gunna need unless your like a super, computer something

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
It's vista, a refurb dell. $399 w/ /2GB or $369 w/ 1 GB
Here are the specs from the dell site:

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home BasicMemory

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive

120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Modem

56K DataFax ModemWeb Camera
No CameraNetwork Interface Card

Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini CardHardware Upgrade

4 Cell Primary Battery Software Upgrade

No Dell DataSafe Installed
Microsoft Works Plus 2008Base

Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Celeron 550 (2.0GHz, 533Mhz, 1M L2 Cache)Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityLaptop Screen

15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife
Previously Ordered New

System ColorBlossom Pattern

Definitely.

You'll need at least 2GB to run Vista comfortably. The OS alone takes up more than 1GB of your RAM, so that is completely out of the question.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If it's going to have Vista, get the extra RAM. If you don't, then you'll find out how right I am in this.
no way man, definitely go for the 2 gb. for only 30 bucks more, you would regret it if you didn't
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Do it.
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
For $30? Definitely. The extra performance is always handy.

Tbh, people can say 'nah you dont need it except for games' but having used computers that just have the basics, i can 100% say id always choose to use something a lot more powerful (like my own rig) even for simple tasks. Its faster, smoother, and just plain nicer.

Also, Vista likes more ram. It likes to use 40% of what youve got, and while it has better memory management than Xp, its better to have more available before it has to give some up.
get the comp with the extra ram. it will help a lot when running vista. my work bought me a laptop with vista with 768mb of ram (advertised as 1gb, the bastards) and it was very slow with only the background software running. found 4gb of ram for $100 (thanks newegg.com! same ram was $200 at bestbuy!) and now my comp runs bad only cause vista sucks. not a lack of ram.
No. 1 is fine if you aren't gaming.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Quote by tugboat
No. 1 is fine if you aren't gaming.

No it isn't.

All I'm running currently is firefox and itunes.

See? You can't get a computer with 1gb and run vista on it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Squabalicious
my work bought me a laptop with vista with 768mb of ram (advertised as 1gb, the bastards)

That brings up another point! Some of your ram will be given to the internal graphics card (since i saw no mention of a proper gfx card in the specs). Between that and Vista, youre definitely gonna want the whole 2gb.
Do it. I can't stress that enough, even if you are on xp and will only use minimal things, programs are using more and more resources, and for the extra bit of money your laptop will last so much longer.
Thanks guys =]
Parents are paying half of it, so it'll just be $15 more for me.

I'm gonna do it and get the 2GB RAM

Quote by ajaxender12
That brings up another point! Some of your ram will be given to the internal graphics card (since i saw no mention of a proper gfx card in the specs). Between that and Vista, youre definitely gonna want the whole 2gb.

yep thats pretty much what was goin on.

also high ram isnt just for gamers. a lot of typical users have many programs that they download and install that are constantly running in the background while they have excel, outlook, firefox, aim, skype, etc. all this stuff adds up quick and the extra ram helps keep your machine running faster
defintely, thats so cheap and worth it. you never know what you'll be into in a few months, and even if its just for music, audio programs would run so smoothly on 2gb

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Get a job, save up 3000 and buy a computer filled with awesomeness and pictures of carebears.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by rabidguitarist
No it isn't.

All I'm running currently is firefox and itunes.

See? You can't get a computer with 1gb and run vista on it.

I'm running Vista and the least I've got it running was at 700MB at idle. I get an average of 850 out of 2GBs. Disabling Aero shaved off 200MB (I used to be at 1GB at idle). I'm transcoding a movie right now and I'm at 1GB.

And here's a list of my processes with a bit of stuff running.

As for the memory, I'd go with 2GBs, even when you're not gaming, applications can take a lot of space and 2GBs will assure that your rig runs smoothly.

Hey I caught the little firefox thing, lol.
Last edited by acersucks at Nov 15, 2008,
I would get 2 GBs, I have to GBs on XP and it's well worth it, (although I do a lot of recording and synthesis stuff so that's part of it)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yes, get it. And Vista is supposed to use ALL of your ram, no matter how much you have, to all the people sayin "LOL VISRA SUX IT NEEDS LOTS OF RAM!" It uses it to help your programs start faster and frees it up when you need it for something.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Yes, get it. And Vista is supposed to use ALL of your ram, no matter how much you have, to all the people sayin "LOL VISRA SUX IT NEEDS LOTS OF RAM!" It uses it to help your programs start faster and frees it up when you need it for something.

I've never had a problem with Vista's memory management, but for those of you who don't like Vista using 40+% of your RAM, you can disable features like SuperFetch (this is the program that caches and pre-allocates all that memory for programs) through the services.msc program. I'm pretty sure you can also disable it through the registry.

Just search 'Vista tweaks' on google and you'll find tons of ways to optimise and speed up Vista.
Last edited by acersucks at Nov 15, 2008,
if you have the extra $30 then i'd say get it... but thats just me
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore