http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/left-handed-12-String-Electro-Acoustic-Folk-Guitar_W0QQitemZ350124819101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item350124819101&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This is the 12 string i'm getting for christmas. I'm left handed so i'm limited to this, and i have a budget of £150 which is fine.

But should i know anything from the veteran 12string players of UG??

What strings should i get for it?
what are the usual breakages?
what are the best playing styles?
what should i tune it to?

/discuss. Thanks.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
Standard tuning.....the string you will break most often will be one of the two "G" Strings.......

Keeping them "in tune" requires a good ear, or a great pitch pipe.

Getting used to covering two strings at a time is tricky, but doable......(especially on the standard "F" chord).

The sound enhancement is really neat!!
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Tune it to a half step below standard, or a whole step below standard and use a capo to get into standard tuning. This is because the strings but a ton of stress on the guitar, so by detuning it and using the capo you take some of the stress off.

Also, fingerpicking is a little wierd and awkward at first on a 12 string, or at least, it was when I first tried one out.

I don't have a 12 string, but I have played them, and I know about the stress thing because I am studying to be a luthier (guitar maker).
Thank you so much, UG.

Any other handy hints?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
I have a question about the tuning...can you use a chromatic tuner? because, wouldn't you just have to be careful about picking jsut the main or harmonizing string?
Sorry if it's a bad question, i'm thinking about a 12 string
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by ReChord
Tune it to a half step below standard, or a whole step below standard and use a capo to get into standard tuning. This is because the strings but a ton of stress on the guitar, so by detuning it and using the capo you take some of the stress off.

Also, fingerpicking is a little wierd and awkward at first on a 12 string, or at least, it was when I first tried one out.

I don't have a 12 string, but I have played them, and I know about the stress thing because I am studying to be a luthier (guitar maker).

Well, it's certainly not a ton of pull, but it is in excess of 200 lbs of tension. If the guitar is quality made, the truss rod will provide ample tension on the neck to keep the fretboard relief in check. The internal bracing should be beefed up to keep the lower bout area of the soundboard from bellying up. If that model is based on a standard 6 string with a 12er bridge and neck slapped on, then I'd expect problems down the line. I can't attest to this particular brand or model. Downtuning 1/2 step isn't really sufficient to reduce the overall tension tho. A full step is marginally better. A better idea by far and away is to make sure you're buying a decently made guitar from the get go. Take the construction, materials and quality of build out of the matrix right off the bat. Then it just boils down to string selection and care and maintenance.
Quote by LeftyDave
Well, it's certainly not a ton of pull, but it is in excess of 200 lbs of tension. If the guitar is quality made, the truss rod will provide ample tension on the neck to keep the fretboard relief in check. The internal bracing should be beefed up to keep the lower bout area of the soundboard from bellying up. If that model is based on a standard 6 string with a 12er bridge and neck slapped on, then I'd expect problems down the line. I can't attest to this particular brand or model. Downtuning 1/2 step isn't really sufficient to reduce the overall tension tho. A full step is marginally better. A better idea by far and away is to make sure you're buying a decently made guitar from the get go. Take the construction, materials and quality of build out of the matrix right off the bat. Then it just boils down to string selection and care and maintenance.

I'm kind of inexperienced at at sort of thing, could you tell me from the link at the top ^ how decent my guitar is?

And remember, i'm left handed with a £150 budget. That was pretty much the only choice in my circumstances.
Still, thanks. I'm feeling a lot more educated. I guess i'll be anxious of my trus rod for a while.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
I looked it over at ebay, and honestly, I really can't form an opinion on this make/model. It "looks" to be a decent guitar, but it's only a picture. Up close and personal might reveal a different story. One thing it does have going for it is the shape of the headstock. Notice how the strings come off the nut and still maintain a nearly straight line as they travel to each of the tuners? This, in recent years, has been found to be a much better shape than the standard, wide, Martin style of old. The strings tend to bind less in the nut slots and therefore give much smoother tuning action and provide for more stable tuning as well.
One of the drawbacks to buying from the 'bay is that you can't try before you buy. Huge drawback actually. You've no idea if you'll like it or hate it until it's in your hands. But, I feel for ya, being a lefty myself. There really aren't many 12's to choose from without popping for a custom build. I for one can't afford that. I have to buy a new water heater and make my mortgage pmt. on time! lol
Luck to ya!
Haha, you see, i've got that coming ahead of me. Uni will bring so much joy.
Sigh.

But yeah, no worries. If i'm not happy with it, I'll just have to make do.
In hindsight i could of just bought a right hander and flipped it. But I'm tired of doing that.

So. Important scales? important tunings?
Please, do suggest!
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Quote by tom the taffer

So. Important scales? important tunings?
Please, do suggest!

Scales would be the same as the scales on a six string. As for tunings, the thing with the capo is one to remember and if you are doing alternate tunings then use the ones that detune the strings, not make them higher.

Someone here (I think it was leftydave, too lazy to go back and check) was saying how if it was a nice 12 string then you wouldn't have to detune it a step down to relieve tension. Technically, he is correct. Because of recent technology, there have been new bracing styles that make it so that the guitar can support the tension. However, it is still a lot of tension, and it will make the strings extremely tight. The higher end models are really the only models that you can GUARANTEE have a strong bracing like this.

I suggest to detune it a step and capo up to standard because it will:

a) Take some pressure off of the guitar's body, so if it is a cheaper model, an older model, or just one without a certain type of bracing, it will last and maintain longer.

b) Take tension off of the strings, which will make it so that your strings last longer and won't have to be replaced as much (which is a big deal with 12 strings...the lighter strings tend to snap alot, and it is a **** to change 12 strings, just takes time.)

Again, I am not a 12 string owner, but I don't really remember many people using alternate tunings, like open tunings or DADGAD or anything, but that doesn't mean they don't do them, just that I don't really know about it.
Last edited by ReChord at Nov 16, 2008,
I would think that for slide guitar on a 12 string would sound interesting, and slide is usually played in open G? D? I forget, but it's an alternate tuning. and the capo idea sounds solid, as you technically 'lose' one fret...but honestly, it's an acoustic. the only thing that'd mess me up, is the dots would be outta line...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"