I'm very content to live as I have in the "Acoustic" world......but I'm wondering what the motive is for buying an electric? Is it just trying to emulate a sound that the Acoustic won't give you? Is it the longer neck range? Is it that crazy dream of being the next "Stevie Ray Vaughn" or "____________" (fill in your own personal idol on the electric guitar).
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Well, my first love was my Classical, and it still is. But the electric gives a beefy sound and you can play heavy music on it when you can't on an acoustic.

I generally write almost everything on my classical first though.
The appeal of an electric for me is the fact that you can just play a somewhat background role or front line role if you want. You can play a little harmony if you want or a nice riff that's just out there.

Also, being a mainly acoustic player... playing electric is just fun. It kinda feels like a toy in your hands. Another thing that appeals to me is the nice beefy and jazzy tones you can get.

They're just different beasts, and both are awesome in the right person's hands.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I like the electric to jam on. I love playing with tones, effects, distortion.
I love playing the acoustic when I want to actually play a song. I think that almost every song sounds better on an acoustic (Though some sound better through distortion). Also, playing on an acoustic tends to build up my finger strength more, and it helps me to get more precision and accuracy.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Guitarfreak777: That's interesting.....I've never seen anyone list their effects pedal, pickups, or amp in their Signature before......lol.

I suppose I could add my custom-made chair, my capo's, my picks, my strap.....to mine......lololol.

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
i was a born acoustic player
i loved the reggae sound.. which you just cant do as sexily on the acoustic

check out bob marleys, sublime, state radio, and other stuff
(passerby by dispatch hooked me)

i hated electric when i started, when i had my epi cuz it was just too difficult for me
my strat made me love and appreciate it
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Well, electrics are used for entirely different styles that what's typically played on acoustics. The appeal is in the styles people want to play. I just recently started playing acoustics, and I never wanted to buy one before because I play(ed) metal. I wouldn't expect someone who plays classical to buy a Les Paul.
yep... different tools for different jobs...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I guess (since I DO think of a guitar as at least, a "tool"....but also as a friend on some level), I fully understand the use of an electric in certain applications.

Then came along the 60's and bands that used acoustics, like America, and others. I was already playing acoustics but was glad to see that you could take an acoustic on stage and use it functionally for performance.

Then the church "Praise Groups" came along and I just continued to use the acoustic......there were certainly those who would use electrics, but I figured the only reason for using those types of guitars was if you wanted the "whammy" (sp?) bar, or wanted to play above the 12th fret.

When I saw Chet Atkins for the first time, playing a (I think it was) Gretch Archtop hollow body, I saw a cross-over. Here was a guitar that could be played either way; had the look of both an electric and acoustic.

Just some random thoughts to feed the thread....

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Quote by Soupy1957

Then came along the 60's and bands that used acoustics, like America, and others. I was already playing acoustics but was glad to see that you could take an acoustic on stage and use it functionally for performance.

When I saw Chet Atkins for the first time, playing a (I think it was) Gretch Archtop hollow body, I saw a cross-over. Here was a guitar that could be played either way; had the look of both an electric and acoustic.

Just some random thoughts to feed the thread....

Don't forget Dylan and Chet mainly uses Gretches, excellent guitars. I wish I could afford one of these. Whenever I'm sitting at the computer I always have either my Gretsch or my Strat, rarely the acoustic. Electrics give you a lot of freedom that acoustics don't offer. Plus, Dire Straits doesn't sound as good through an acoustic.

I think the actual motivation for me (personally), for buying an electric, was that my friends all had them. An acoustic as a starter guitar would feel weird for me. It's the aesthetic factor that also swayed me.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Zero-Hartman: Elaborate on the "freedoms" that electrics offer, that acoustics don't have, if you don't mind. I'd like to hear more.

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Quote by Soupy1957
Zero-Hartman: Elaborate on the "freedoms" that electrics offer, that acoustics don't have, if you don't mind. I'd like to hear more.

I'm gonna guess he means you can get a wider variety of sounds out of an electric. Also, if you think about it, longer necks = more notes.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Not as many as you would intuitively think though. My classical guitar has about 18 easily accessible frets. That allows me to play up to about a very high B. (the same B at the 24th fret of my electric guitar) Seriously.... when I play my electric.... I DO play notes up to the E above that, but not all that often.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Baby Joel
...Also, playing on an acoustic tends to build up my finger strength more, and it helps me to get more precision and accuracy.

Word. Especially on the strength part.

I play both acoustic and electric (and bass). I started off playing literally everything on acoustic and I'll have to say it helped finger-wise. There's a LOT of stuff you can't find out there on electric guitar but can sure as hell bring it over to acoustic. When I'm bored and sitting in my room I'll pick up the acoustic and just pluck away.

Electric wise, it is really fun to mess with effects and stuff. I try to get a song down 100% then go the further mile and try to match the distortion for basically a perfect cover. Fun stuff.
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

SeeEmilyPlay: I guess I'd have to confess that in the right moment, in the right setting, I can find myself using someone's electric to bang out a few blues tunes.....but those moments (usually wedding receptions, when I know the band that's playing and can jump in at will), are not all that common.

More frequently I'm in a more intimate setting, with acoustics around......so it seems it is only the "ownership" that moves people to electrics......to be able to show off your "Strat" or whatever.

Just like anything else......showing it off is one thing....playing it well is another.

At our last monthly Jam (and by the way, the next one is THIS coming Friday night, so if you are near CT come on over......info available upon request to "Nutmegger1957@yahoo.com"....with "Bethany Jam" in the Subject line), there was a guy sitting there, looking rather odd.....he had a new Deering "beginners" banjo on his knee, wearing a light gray business suit.....old cowboy boots,.....neat haircut.....didn't play all night.....just sat there grinning.

Now I ask you.....is it the "ownership" or the "playing?" For me, it's the "playing.

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Last edited by Soupy1957 at Nov 19, 2008,
Quote by Soupy1957
so it seems it is only the "ownership" that moves people to electrics......to be able to show off your "Strat" or whatever.

That's not true at all.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light