Or own it? It's the Ibanez RGT42FM my friend is selling it for 200 bucks....other then how good of a deal im getting, is it a good guitar? I basically play metal in all it's forms. would it sound any better then my ibanez rg2ex2? it has stock "designed by emg" pups in it, the other has stock infinities i believe they're called and i play through a peavey envoy 110 transtube series amp.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
dam nice deal. and yes, it will sound a little, if not, alot better than ur RG2EX2
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
I'd say go for it. Those are about 600 new, if not more. Swap out the Edge 3 bridge once it goes, and you'll have a great guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
This is a really nice guitar about 600 bucks good. Man I wish I had friends like you but yea this is def. a good buy!
If the bridge is already broken (or worn out) would a guitar tech be able to repair it so it could hold out for a while as i dont have money for a bridge >.>
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

actually $780 new

btw, y bother switching out the tremelo? the Edge 3 is fine.
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
Yeah buy it now. It's much better than the RG2EX2. Just beware the Edge III needs to be replaced at some point, probably a year tops.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
why's that? he's had the guitar for a few years, so should i replace it asap? would i need to buy another fixed bridge or what? how much am i lookin at in terms of replacing it
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by hobozach
actually $780 new

Prepare to be flamed
Quote by hobozach
actually $780 new

Because the Edge III has terrible tuning stability and will crap out on you in a couple months depending on how much you rape your trem

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
eh, i'm going to only go between standard and drop d and i know this guitar hasn't been played too much, nor has it gone lower then drop d, and it has no whammy bar so that hasn't been abused either.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
eh, i'm going to only go between standard and drop d and i know this guitar hasn't been played too much, nor has it gone lower then drop d, and it has no whammy bar so that hasn't been abused either.

You're aware that changing tunings with a floating bridge is not as easy as just twisting the machineheads a bit? You need to use an allen key at the bridge at the fine tuners and adjust the tension at the springs in the body to make up for having more/less tension.
Forgot- intonation and action possibly.
Changing tunings and/or strings on a guitar with a floyd rose can be a nightmare and not a quick job like with a fixed bridge.
Last edited by CupCake182 at Nov 15, 2008,
well i'm going to get it set up professionally to be in E standard, if i wanted to go to d, i'd have to go through all that ****ing trouble just to take it down a note?
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

yep, see the downside of floating bridges. Listen, I think an OFR fits in that route, and that and a tremol-no set to dive only mode and you're set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by CupCake182
You're aware that changing tunings with a floating bridge is not as easy as just twisting the machineheads a bit? You need to use an allen key at the bridge at the fine tuners and adjust the tension at the springs in the body to make up for having more/less tension.
Changing tunings and/or strings on a guitar with a floyd rose can be a nightmare and not a quick job like with a fixed bridge.

LOL dude i wish i read this a day earlier. My whammy bar literaly scrapes the strings. Theres no way my next guitar is gona be a floyd rose
Quote by CupCake182

...some people just use the fine tuners to put it in drop d from standard...its what i plan to do when i get my ESP/LTD.

but string changing is gonna be a b****with a floyd rose.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by Audioslave95
...some people just use the fine tuners to put it in drop d from standard...its what i plan to do when i get my ESP/LTD.

That's incredibly stupid.
Quote by tigerking615
That's incredibly stupid.

+1 billion

Anyways, TS why don't you just get an Ibanez with a fixed bridge? I mean if you're going to change tunings alot then a floating trem really isn't what you want. They do also get boring after you've done about 100 divebombs.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
why is using the fine tuners to go to drop d stupid? my friend has a v with a fixed bridge and he only used the tuners on the bridge to get it in D/back to standard.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
Or own it? It's the Ibanez RGT42FM my friend is selling it for 200 bucks....other then how good of a deal im getting, is it a good guitar? I basically play metal in all it's forms. would it sound any better then my ibanez rg2ex2? it has stock "designed by emg" pups in it, the other has stock infinities i believe they're called and i play through a peavey envoy 110 transtube series amp.
I'm a bit unsure of whether it's your current guitar or the new one that's got the "designed by emg" pups in it, so my comment may be worthless, but in any case, I've got those pickups in my RG3EXQM1 and I really like them for high gain type sounds. They have a harsh treble and sterile midrange when clean that I really don't like, but those same qualities help give it a nice strong sound with high gain without complicating the sound to the point of just becoming noise.
Quote by ReinventingEvil
why is using the fine tuners to go to drop d stupid? my friend has a v with a fixed bridge and he only used the tuners on the bridge to get it in D/back to standard.

Because dropping the Low E down to D just makes all of the other strings go sharp which means you adjust them, and then your D goes sharp after you've sorted the rest out and it's just a whole lot of hassle tbh. Either tune a floyd rose properly or don't bother.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w