so my little brother is getting a drum kit for passing some exams ( hes 11)... question is: which drum kit should he get. I'm a guitarist myself and know NOTHING about drum kits.

the budget is around £350

so any suggestions
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

There's a cheap Pulse set on MF.com and GC too, I think.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I feel for you man. Invest in some earplugs/massive stereo while you're at it.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Get a digital drum kit. I bought one when I just wanted to mess around and learn a few beats to compliment my guitar playing, and it was one of the best musical investments I made. No hassle, no drum tuning, not neccessarily loud. Mine was only £100, but for £350 you could get some serious kit.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Quote by J-B
Get a digital drum kit. I bought one when I just wanted to mess around and learn a few beats to compliment my guitar playing, and it was one of the best musical investments I made. No hassle, no drum tuning, not neccessarily loud. Mine was only £100, but for £350 you could get some serious kit.

Good plan if you ask me. You can get the kind that has headphones as well.
And then when he's older and wants to buy a better kit, he'll be old enough to get a job and do it on his own.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by J-B

This.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by J-B

This
My little sis also want a drumkit for christmas and my mum and i are chipping in for it (i've always wanted to start playing drums anyway).

What do you guys recommend if the budget is around $500AU (about £220 or $325US)? I thought electric kits were more expensive than acoustic kits generally?...might be able to stretch to $700 (£325 or $450US) max.

I heard that the cymbals and snare make the biggest difference in sounds though...so maybe i should just buy my sis a cheap set, she can get better cymbals and a better snare down the track, and if she's still playing she can buy some new shells after that?
Quote by goony
My little sis also want a drumkit for christmas and my mum and i are chipping in for it (i've always wanted to start playing drums anyway).

What do you guys recommend if the budget is around $500AU (about £220 or $325US)? I thought electric kits were more expensive than acoustic kits generally?...might be able to stretch to $700 (£325 or $450US) max.

I heard that the cymbals and snare make the biggest difference in sounds though...so maybe i should just buy my sis a cheap set, she can get better cymbals and a better snare down the track, and if she's still playing she can buy some new shells after that?

It's really gonna depend on quality.
Have you tried musicians friend by chance?
I know they have one for $300 (US)...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Go for a used pearl export set, there good for beginners and if you know what your doing a decent amateur set. They will usually cost 500 or so
Quote by x_thurston_x
It's really gonna depend on quality.
Have you tried musicians friend by chance?
I know they have one for $300 (US)...

I don't think they ship drumkits to australia do they?

hmm so i had a scout at some of the sydney store's websites and on ebay and for the price of $300 (US) you can pick up a 2nd hand entry level electric kit...for that price i could pick up a new starter kit. Care to shoot any good name brands my way?

Cheapest acoustic i've seen is the "percussion plus" kit and i've seen a tama and ludwig kit at around the $700AU (or around $450US) mark.