I'm a fan of sharp picks for a few reasons, if you don't know what I'm talking about here's a picture:

http://www.mofline.com/images/dunlop/ADU412R100.jpg

These Dunlop Tortex sharps are the one's I've been using. Originally I was using the yellow .73mm thicks, but I switched to the green .88mms because the tips on the yellows broke off really quickly. The green tips last a little bit longer, but still break way before the pick is worn down. I like the tortex material, and I like the sharps, but replacing my pick pretty much every day is getting a little old. So I'm looking for alternatives.

Does anyone know of other sharp picks that I can try? My preference is the ~.73mm thickness, even the .88's I was using were a little more than I liked. If what I'm looking for doesn't exist, I'll just settle with using the rounded standard .73 tortex picks.

Edit: Oh yeah, and does anyone know if the old tortoiseshell pointed picks were prone to breaking? Not that I'm planning on doing anything illegal, just curious.
Last edited by Unsouled at Nov 15, 2008,
Tortex is just a soft material to begin with. I used to regularly round off 1.14mm sharp Jazz III's. Now I'm using the Ultex ones, and although they are thicker, (around 1.5mm), really I need a thicker pick for my picking style anyway.

I'm not sure, but I think the big Ultex picks are thinner. Don't quote me on that.
Ultex? Well, they have these Ultex Jazz III's, which aren't as sharp as sharps but aren't as dull as standards. There's no thickness listed though, and apparently only one size:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=334&pmh=products/picks

There are also these tris, which aren't as sharp....

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=19&pmh=products/picks
Odd... I've been using a 1.14mm (purple!!) Tortex triangle pick since I bought the pack and I've never changed it. And I play kinda like Karl Sander's from Nile, lots of tremolo picking.

Are you not willing to try the sharp purple Tortex?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
The purple sharps? I haven't tried them yet, only the yellows and greens (73 and 88)... I like the thickness of the yellows, and the purples are much more. But then again I haven't tried them so I can't *really* say that I don't like them. Maybe I'll pick up one or two and see if I do.
It was a learning experience to me. But they're so thick I have yet to break or even really wear one down. I started to dull the tip off of one of their normal-style picks after a few months.

To me the 1.14mm purple is just the right thickness to what I need.
Quote by sargasm
I used the purple sharps, but then I tried a thinner sharp green, and I liked it better, so I use green now. The purple ones are tanks, but pretty thick.
Weekend Warrior
For me I kinda wanted to start using the purples since they were so thick. Since I wanted to all the issues with learning to use the picks fell away quickly. Now they're the only thing I can use lol.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by Unsouled
Ultex? Well, they have these Ultex Jazz III's, which aren't as sharp as sharps but aren't as dull as standards. There's no thickness listed though, and apparently only one size:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=334&pmh=products/picks

There are also these tris, which aren't as sharp....

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=19&pmh=products/picks

I'm using the first link you posted now, and after 6 months of using the same pick, it has little grooves on the edges. And I slam the hell out of my strings.

Ultex Standard <- These are available in .73, I've got the 1.14 and I whittled a sharp edge on 'em. And the new tips I make last quite a while...
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at Nov 16, 2008,
I'm going to get some of the blues and purples (the next two thicknesses up from green) and see how long they last for me.

TAA, what do you think the thickness of the Ultex Jazz 3's are? I'm going to get one or two of these as well. And what did you use to whittle the standards?
Dunlop Tortex Jazz.
Quote by forsaknazrael
As far as Jazz III style picks go, I'm a big fan of the Eric Johnson signature ones. The raised lettering on them allows for better grip.

Maybe also check out something from V Picks? They're acrylic picks.

The material is also more flexible, giving you a bit more tonal control
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I have a habit of playing with a single pick until it's ridiculously blunt. Then I loose it, but a new one and suddenly realise exactly how blunt the last pick was and how hard I was making it on myself
Check out the Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks. These are a smaller pick more like the size of a nickel other than the regular old sharps that are like a quarter. With the larger picks you are forced to apply more pressure to the tip [if u hold it towards the back]. The smaller picks give you just enough area to grip and pick.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=11&pmh=products/picks
forsaknazrael: V Picks look interesting, however they only come in .5mm, 1.0mm, or 2.75mm+ (or something like that)... if some store around me has them in stock I'll try them, but I don't want to order and pay $4/pick for something I'm that unsure of.

The shredders look great, though.

strat8-: Just like forsaknazrael said, even those seem to blunt pretty quickly - I'd need something a lot thicker than the .73mm to last a while, and I'd rather try another material of sharp picks at the thinner weight.
Quote by Unsouled
I'm going to get some of the blues and purples (the next two thicknesses up from green) and see how long they last for me.

TAA, what do you think the thickness of the Ultex Jazz 3's are? I'm going to get one or two of these as well. And what did you use to whittle the standards?

Now that I've got them up on a table to look at 'em, they appear to be the same thickness as the 1.14 Tortex Jazz III's I have, but since the Ultex has letters that stand up, it's thicker to the hand. And it makes holding them really easy. A lot of texture there to grip.

And just about any razor knife will do. Be careful though.