Is it good? I'm new to tube amps. I'm thinking about buying it. Is it loud? Like loud enough to play shows in smaller venues? Does it have good sound? Good distortion?
Thanks. Austin.
It's plenty loud. I don't think the sound is that great though. The distortion kinda sucks past half way, as does the reverb.

What kind of music are you going to be playing? And what can you afford? Like 400s? There are better amps around for the price depending on waht you play.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
yes to all, but i would still try it out
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Yea its loud but it sounds like crap. People usually recommend a Peavey 5150 Combo in these situations when someones talking about getting a valveking.
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
It's more than loud enough. Watch clips on Youtube or netmusicians to get a idea of how it sounds.
Quote by mitch311
Yea its loud but it sounds like crap. People usually recommend a Peavey 5150 Combo in these situations when someones talking about getting a valveking.

5150s have no cleans and are about 25% louder than VKs.

I'd recommend a VK if you can get one used and can upgrade the speaker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm a Peavey man and all but the Valveking is just terrible. It does nothing good. The tone is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. There is a reason the new Peavey Vypyr modeling amp has all of Peavey's amps on it EXCEPT the Valveking. There isn't a "Valveking" model for a reason...
Blah, VK's suck etc. etc.

TS I suggest you take a look at the "Valveking Thread Mk. II" on here to get a better idea on what they're all about. Just search the name.
Quote by Raijouta
5150s have no cleans and are about 25% louder than VKs.

I'd recommend a VK if you can get one used and can upgrade the speaker.

They cleans on 5150/6505s aren't nearly as bad as people make out. They aren't brilliant, but they're entirely useable.
Quote by Tom_hatton

They cleans on 5150/6505s aren't nearly as bad as people make out. They aren't brilliant, but they're entirely useable.

I always thought the 5150 had no dedicated clean channel - just a rhythm and lead... when I said 'no cleans' that's what I meant.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i have it and it's very loud, i just played an auditorium for my schools talent show which holds a few hundred people...i'm not that happy with the drive channel. sometimes its great but i can't really find a great setting with enough bite. the distortion channel is really kinda muddy...if you click the link in my sig i'm the one with a les paul playing thru the valveking if u kinda can get an idea of how it sounds. i'm playing rhythm for the first half of the video while my friend solos, and there i had the settings pretty good and i liked it that nite...the overdrive channel i mean
Quote by Tom_hatton

I think with proper eq'n the cleans are actually good. Much better than people make them out to be. Hit it with some chorus and away you go, totally useable.
Well, the VK defenitely has cleans. I think the clips I've heard on Youtube and UGs profiles are pretty good. It is not a plug and play amp that is for sure. I have not gotten a speaker yet but those that have made the change say it is 100% improvement. Also, I thought the Vypyr was supposed to emulate higher end amps like the JSX and 6505 for example. I don't think anyone expected it to have a 'Valveking' setting lol. It's a low budget entry amp.
i hear a lot of people say its bad, but I really dont know if they are because ive never played one.

try one out
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^