which good cheap (under 500 usd) les paul would work best for me?
i'm thinking epiphone just because of the ease of getting them
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yup, epiphone is the way to go
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I personally enjoyed my Epiphone SG before I finally got myself a Gibson, but I never picked up an Epiphone LP. I tried a Gibson LP at a used guitar store a couple times, believe it was just a Standard. Only thing was, it was also an old one, so the price was pretty high for a used guitar. >< If you're looking for an affordable Les Paul-esque guitar, I'd say go with an Epiphone one, possibly even a used one since even Epi's can run pretty high if you'd believe that. lol

Just my personal take on it, my Epi plays great still, so they're not bad guitars for their price margin.

Hope that helps ya out.
My main squeeze is a
Gibson Explorer '76 Reissue
im pretty happy with my Les Paul 100, its probably the cheapest les paul there is, but its good
Quote by DedlokM44
I personally enjoyed my Epiphone SG before I finally got myself a Gibson, but I never picked up an Epiphone LP. I tried a Gibson LP at a used guitar store a couple times, believe it was just a Standard. Only thing was, it was also an old one, so the price was pretty high for a used guitar. >< If you're looking for an affordable Les Paul-esque guitar, I'd say go with an Epiphone one, possibly even a used one since even Epi's can run pretty high if you'd believe that. lol

Just my personal take on it, my Epi plays great still, so they're not bad guitars for their price margin.

Hope that helps ya out.

thanks man well appreciated
also nice explorer, nothing short of a brilliant guitar
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
epi or Agile
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat (Undergoing Black strat relic)
Line 6 Spider III
Sqiuer SP-10

PSN: Thrasher122
rondomusic.com take a look. absolutely gorgeous LPs in any style you can imagine, with superb quality on the high end. they're top of the line LPs run around 400-500. i have a midlevel one, and it's better than any Epi. LP i've played so far.
Check out a Paul Reed Smith Single Cut. Its 600 but the extra money is worth it. I always loved my epiphone les paul more then anything until i played one of those.

.....then I got a strat with texas specials......
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by cthuludawn21
rondomusic.com take a look. absolutely gorgeous LPs in any style you can imagine, with superb quality on the high end. they're top of the line LPs run around 400-500. i have a midlevel one, and it's better than any Epi. LP i've played so far.

exactly... Agile AL-3000MAP is just in your budget... it comes out to $495 or something like that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, go for the Agile. Epi's don't have a full maple top (they do play nicely though, I have one), the AL-3000MAP does.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Go for an Epi for sure. They are win!
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I have an epi les paul standard, i dont use it much because i have other guitars i prefer, but i do like it, and i will never sale it. Just because its worth more to me than i could ever get out of it. I would try out the exact guitar you are buying because i have heard of some lemons. In other words, dont buy online. I just happened to find a great one that dont sound any different than my friends 1800 dollar gibby paul. i have upgraded the pups though.
look at ESP. They make really good lp copies and the nice thing is you'll be able to try them out before you buy them (something you wont be able to do with the agile). My advice would be to go to a shop and try all the ESP's, PRS Singlecut se's and Epi's you can get your hands on and pick the specific guitar that plays the best.

Model of esp I'd recommend: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/LSP-LTD-EC256-Electric-Guitar?sku=521009

If you can afford it: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
Quote by Tommy Walker
look at ESP. They make really good lp copies and the nice thing is you'll be able to try them out before you buy them (something you wont be able to do with the agile). My advice would be to go to a shop and try all the ESP's, PRS Singlecut se's and Epi's you can get your hands on and pick the specific guitar that plays the best.

Model of esp I'd recommend: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/LSP-LTD-EC256-Electric-Guitar?sku=521009

If you can afford it: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884

GOOD ADVICE! i love my ESP. I have a viper. Its a spinoff of the gibby sg. I would rather play that guitar any day over my epi paul.
i would not go agile JUST because you cant use it ahead but there is only good things said about agile so that is my opinion
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by oneblackened
No, go for the Agile. Epi's don't have a full maple top (they do play nicely though, I have one), the AL-3000MAP does.
Actually, Epi have been using complete maple tops for about three years now. Only the very low-end models ever use a veneer, and they openly admit that and state it on the guitar's descriptions.

ITT, like usual, a bunch of people scream "NO BUY AGILE!!!" without thinking about it.

The truth of the matter is, Agile, Vintage, Rally and the low/mid range Tokais, are all built in the same place. And that place happens to be where Epiphones used to be built. The quality is exactly the same. The reasons the Epis cost more is because they have 18:1 Grover tuners (even better than Gibsons get), locktone stopbars (Gibsons are starting to get those now too), and of course they have the 'real' Epi shape. Other than that though, all those brands are the same; same woods, same construction, same quality. If you're in America, Agile is the cheapest; in Europe, Rally and Vintage are the cheapest; Tokai is about the same the world-over. Epi rings in at the most expensive, but they do have a couple of good advantages, plus it's almost always easier to try Epis out in stores before you buy one.

Really though, there's no solid reason to buy one brand over the other. I've played Rallys, Tokais, Vintages, Michael Kellys, Agiles, Epiphones, and ESP-LTD LP copies. Of those, the ESP copies were so different (but just as good quality) they can't be compared, the Michael Kellys were a bit lower quality, and the Epi's had the better hardware of course - but otherwise, the Agiles, Tokai, Vintage and Rally were all just as good as the Epi - but they weren't actually any better either.

All are good brands, just go with whichever you can try out in a store, and make sure you buy the exact one you tried out. Really that's all it should come down to.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you are looking for an exact clone of a les paul, go with epiphone. If you're willing to shop around a bit to see what's out there, try out the PRS singlecut or tremonti SE, they are imo much better quality guitars than the contenders.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I really enjoy my Epi LP Standard. The factory pickups aren;t that great, but thats about the only thing bad about it. I had some Seymour Duncans put in it, not I absolutely love it. I would also suggest looking into the PRS SE singlecut series. A good used one should be under $500, they look kind of like Les Pauls, and, in my opinion, sound better.
Try a Burny. I was surprised how it sounds.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Epi and Agile both make very nice LP copies but I have tried some amazing LP copies by Jay Turser, Xavier and Dillion in the last few months. I actually own a few JT guitars and I have no complaints at all. Never heard of Dillion or Xavier but was amazed at them. Another LP copy I tried at Mr Music here in Boston was an Alden.

http://www.aldenguitarsales.com/

It was a little over 5 bills I think $549.00. It was my first time trying one of those and I was really surprized at the feel, sound and quality. I am finding a lot of these off brand imported guitars are built very well and the quality and sound is right up there with the more well know brands. I prefer Korean built over the Chinese ones but the Chinese are catching up. From what I know almost all the guitars that come out of Korea come from the same plant The Unsung guitar manufacturer supposedly they makes almost all og the guitars that come out of Korea. Check your local classifieds and Craigs list I have found some great deals on Gibsons over the years. I just bought a Gibson BFG LP cheap! I resold it more than doubled my money. I just wasn't crazy about it, it was the ugliets Gibson I have ever seen and the sound was only so so. I have paid as low as $250.00 for a used Gibson LP and I think the most I ever paid for any used Gibson was $550.00. You just have to go with a price in mind and be able to read how desprerate the seller is for money. I have walked out of peoples houses with Gibson in hand and couldn't believe I actually got it so cheap. I haven't been keeping the Gibsons I buy I usually resell them later but there are a few regrets about selling some.

I always recomend trying out a guitar first and making a decision when you get to play a few different guitars but with Agile it's hard because they sell direct from their shop but They have great customer service and I doubt you will complain about an Agile LP.

John
Dont go for Epi, no1, some of them are really bad, so deffo try be4 u buy if u deff gonna get 1, no2, u pay for having the "epiphone, made by Gibson", u get more for your money if u get another make
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually, Epi have been using complete maple tops for about three years now. Only the very low-end models ever use a veneer, and they openly admit that and state it on the guitar's descriptions.

ITT, like usual, a bunch of people scream "NO BUY AGILE!!!" without thinking about it.

The truth of the matter is, Agile, Vintage, Rally and the low/mid range Tokais, are all built in the same place. And that place happens to be where Epiphones used to be built. The quality is exactly the same. The reasons the Epis cost more is because they have 18:1 Grover tuners (even better than Gibsons get), locktone stopbars (Gibsons are starting to get those now too), and of course they have the 'real' Epi shape. Other than that though, all those brands are the same; same woods, same construction, same quality. If you're in America, Agile is the cheapest; in Europe, Rally and Vintage are the cheapest; Tokai is about the same the world-over. Epi rings in at the most expensive, but they do have a couple of good advantages, plus it's almost always easier to try Epis out in stores before you buy one.

Really though, there's no solid reason to buy one brand over the other. I've played Rallys, Tokais, Vintages, Michael Kellys, Agiles, Epiphones, and ESP-LTD LP copies. Of those, the ESP copies were so different (but just as good quality) they can't be compared, the Michael Kellys were a bit lower quality, and the Epi's had the better hardware of course - but otherwise, the Agiles, Tokai, Vintage and Rally were all just as good as the Epi - but they weren't actually any better either.

All are good brands, just go with whichever you can try out in a store, and make sure you buy the exact one you tried out. Really that's all it should come down to.

+1

The way some people go on about Agiles round here you'd think they were made of unicorn shit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what is the best epi les paul for the money then?
plain top plus top etc?
(inform me i'm in the dark)
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Tokai, Epiphone or Agile can't be that much of a difference in that price range, I've got the Epi Les Paul Standard myself.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Nov 16, 2008,
i had trouble with the epi neck

perfer strats much more
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT