Page 1 of 2
Everyone knows them and if you don't, you need too. But its hard to get my hands on one, so, I wanted to know anyone who has used them, your opinion of them, please.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did your friends leave the room to go to the bathroom excessively? If so, they were masturbating.

Quote by JewMasatFlex
if that is why you are playing guitar, then stop. play guitar because you like music, not because you want some pussy
I've never played one, they look very interesting though.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Incubus Science has one. I commit at least three of the seven deadly sins each time I look at his profile picture.

I'd love to own one some day, but right now the uniqueness of the tone makes it a bit impractical. Each time I got to the Hard Rock in Lake Tahoe, I see Bruce Foxton's Ricky above the bar and wonder how I could pry it off the wall and run fast enough not to get caught.
I honestly don't care for them at all. They're ugly, the neck is terrible, the sound is weak, hollow, and thin..... I could go on, but let it suffice to say that it's definately not the bass for me.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Nov 15, 2008,
I love em.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I've lost count of the number of times my credit card has nearly involuntarily jumped out of my pocket to pay for one of those. Last time was a black '78 with chequer binding.

One of the few truly unique basses, and has been said, not everyone's cup of tea. And now the new ones have the switchable volume pot caps, I'm pretty sure I prefer the newer voicing.

Also, it may just be me (not the first time...), but I've noticed an awed hush like the second coming whenever a 4003 is taken out of its' case at a studio or gig. Maybe it's a halo effect like the Strat in Wayne's World? Or the demonic influence of The Red Rick?
Great basses. They hold their value and will increase in value if you take care of them
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I can't stand them. Don't like the tone, don't like the look, and especially don't like the neck.

Many other people have the exact opposite opinion.

I'm saddened by hearing you say this!

I like 'em, never had the chance to get my hands on one, altough there's a swedish company making decent rick copies for 800USD or so.

I really like the tone. It's great for progressive rock. How can anyone turn down Geddy's tone on Moving Pictures?
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Pizza The Hut
They are the best sounding basses on the planet. Period. Only a Fender P bass comes close.

Suuuuuuuuure.

I've never had the chance to try one, so I can't really pass judgment, but most musicians that I can think of that actually use them sound great when they are. But that being said Chris Squire et al would probably sound amazing with any plank of wood in their hands and the actual Rick plays a small part.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Well, this is a divided opinion. I am going to make the assumption that it is a bass that I have to try for myself and see if I like. Thanks guys.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did your friends leave the room to go to the bathroom excessively? If so, they were masturbating.

Quote by JewMasatFlex
if that is why you are playing guitar, then stop. play guitar because you like music, not because you want some pussy
I've always been a fan, but I'm too afraid to try one out.
Because I'll probably buy one.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I can't stand them. Don't like the tone, don't like the look, and especially don't like the neck.

Many other people have the exact opposite opinion.

My feelings exactly.
I've seen a couple people play them on You Tube and they sound really cool there but I've never played one.
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
Quote by dingmydong
Suuuuuuuuure.

I've never had the chance to try one, so I can't really pass judgment, but most musicians that I can think of that actually use them sound great when they are. But that being said Chris Squire et al would probably sound amazing with any plank of wood in their hands and the actual Rick plays a small part.

The Ric is a major part of Chriss's tone. I don't think it would be the same if he used a Fender. I just love the tone of the Ric, it's something i can't put into words...

Whenever I Listen to Fragile, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or Farewell to kings ect, I'm just totally entranced by the Ric tones going on in those records.

Remeber, if Jesus played bass, he'd play a Ric.
Quote by GuitarCrazyFrog
But its hard to get my hands on one

A major part of rick's marketing campaign. Keep production extremely low so they're always on back order, severely limit the number of offline stores that carry them (I don't link I've ever seen a new one in a guitar store). It's all to make sure people can't try them out for themselves, and let the ric fanboys/girls generate hype. They sue anyone who tries to copy the rick sound so that you have have to pay their price. Then they jack their prices up twice what they should be. People buy them based on hype and then get disappointed. It's the reason there are so many used on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rick sound (though I've never been able to try one), but they're overrated and WAY overpriced. Look on craigslist. they usually go for about USD800-1300, a much fairer price, and you actually get to try it out beforehand.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Ricks certainly aren't for everyone.

I'm way into classic Prog (Rush, Yes, Genesis), the Beatles, and lots of stoner / doom bands, so I've always wanted a Rickenbacker. It was just one of those things I thought I'd be able to buy when I was 35.

I got lucky, and one came to me! Now I'm like the happiest person ever.

Ricks are slightly overpriced. The company builds them with low supply for a very high demand, and therefore is able to sell them for some ridiculous prices. And people pay for them.

Other than that, Ricks are probably the best crafted instruments I've played. The tone is to DIE for. Really thick low end with plenty of midrange growl from the famous bridge "treble" pickup. They really bite and hold the low end at the same time. I have not played a bass that growls like my Rick.

As far as tonal versatility is concerned, I've found LOTS of sounds in mine. The stereo output (that allows you to send each pickup to a different amplifier) really adds limitless variety. As far as rock is concerned, there isn't a sound the rick CAN'T make. Just look at who uses them!!! Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, Al Cisneros, Cliff Burton, Lou Barlow, Lemmy, Roger Glover. Even Entwistle, JPJ, Claypool, and Geezer Butler have used them.

Buying a Rickenbacker is going to ensure you a great tone no matter who the player is. Yes, they may not be some people's cup of tea. But if you like the tone and feel, then by all means grab one. I love my Rick to death. I wouldn't ever give it up for any other bass in the world.

Plus they look god damn sexy.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, and to help you locate a bass for a slightly lower price. Stay away from anything before 1980. When people are selling '70 Ricks for under $2000, something is undeniably wrong with the bass.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
There really only good if your looking for that ultra treble slight distortion tone if you ask me

Which means that they have very few practical applications, and for myself personally, owning one would be a waste of money
My friend has a double neck, bass and 12 string. It is kind of useless, the 12 string has the strings so close it is impossible to play. the Bass sounds nice though. I love squires sound and geddy is good too (wish he didn't sing), but i honestly think the fender is a better deal.
Ridiculously overpriced.

The only reason they carry two truss rods is because their truss rods fail, they need to to have a decent truss rod maneuvering.

And I think if somebody is spending around 2000 dollars on a bass and having to be on a stupid waiting list they at least should shield the basses, to say the least.

Most of their fame is just mystique, in my opinion. Tried them, the neck feels too small for me, the tone not thick enough, and the shape hurts my right arm when I rest my forearm to play.
Wait everyone! We gotta wait till Fitzty posts so we can know our opinion on this one.

In all seriousness i like the Ricks sound. Never played one but they sound really nice.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
They are overpriced, and one of the ugliest basses i have ever seen. but i love the tone.
You cant slap on them either.
Quote by sven_cliffy
Wait everyone! We gotta wait till Fitzty posts so we can know our opinion on this one.

Ouch man, ouch. Or . Not sure which.

Anyway, I found the Ric to be solid and underwhelming. As cj73 previously mentioned the modern switch is great, as the modern tone is louder, clearer, and just better. But either way, I found the tone to be more appropriate and less distinct that I've heard on recordings, I say that. It's not THAT out of control. You'll be surprised how any bass "Rickens up" when put through the same rig as Geddy and Squire. It was a great feeling, sounding, and playing bass, but had ab-so-lutely nothing remarkable about it.

That said, if I saw a 4003 5-string, I'd be on it like stink on shit, although I heard the string spacing is the tightest ever.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 17, 2008,
friend of mine got a 78 4003 (I think, I can never keep the models straight) and I like it. The things got an ok neck, not my favorite feeling neck, solid tone and I think they look cool. I can't understand the, "hollow and empty" tone someone described earlier, never heard it like that. If you're interested: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=76680707
that's his band, they recorded with the Ric in that.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
ricks are ugly and over hyped! its basicly expensive firewood! and id recomend warricks as kindling the combo make a great fire!
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
=[[

You guys bring tears to my eyes.

I'm with you partially. a nice Ric tone can make some songs just perfect.

and I'm ignoring obvious troll up above you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
my comment was a bit harsh i spose if money was no object id probly burn a ric and a warrick just to say i have but i really dont like how there nothing special yet really over hyped ...i hate warrick and ric fan boys they tend to be so far up themselves its unbelievable..they need to be hung and then shot for good measure
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
=[[

You guys bring tears to my eyes.

I wouldn't take it too personally - the more distinctive something is, the more polarized it's popular reaction is. However, I just don't think it's as distinct and niche as everyone makes it out to be, hence my lukewarm reaction to it.

Quote by bass is bestest
my comment was a bit harsh i spose if money was no object id probly burn a ric and a warrick just to say i have but i really dont like how there nothing special yet really over hyped ...i hate warrick and ric fan boys they tend to be so far up themselves its unbelievable..they need to be hung and then shot for good measure
I hope you realize that with your username, grammar, punctuation, and overall netiquette people won't take your arguements too terribly seriously.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by bass is bestest

And what are you a fanboy of?
Quote by bass is bestest

Ahem.

I should point out that my support for Warwick has been through positive experiences with their products, and a distinct lack of negatives. I got my Warwick amp before I knew Warwick existed, and it was playing Warwick basses for the first time that got me interested in different manufacturers, rather than my old "they all play the same notes, what's all the fuss about?" approach.

Rick use fanboyism and hype in order to make profit. They use the scarcity to sell to far more people than a niche their size should allow them too. The build quality cannot be questioned, but the feel and tone are very personal things. By stopping people having easy access to them, thanks to the use of them by high profile players, they get a mystic aura. If people see one in a shop, and half like it, they snap it up because they know someone else will by next week. A few months later, they will probably unload it second hand at a loss, but with the demand for them, Rick are never short of people to sell to.

And Warwick just plain kick ass. It's all the little things they have covered that gives them my respect. For example, you can get 36 different varieties of the Corvette standard before you even look at the custom shop (2 body wood, fretless/fretted, 4,5 or 6 string, 3 different electronics options).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I <3 Rics. I has one, just look in my profile.

They are awesome, but some people think they are the worst. To those people I say...

Whatever. You think what you wanna think, I'll think what I wanna think.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And what are you a fanboy of?

im a fan boy of bass.....not a bass imerticular i like many basses atm i like ibanezes ,fenders, yammahs, overwater... i just dont belive one should pluck a perticular bass for the rest of his life...he should pluck around on many basses.
Page 1 of 2