Hello all,
I've recently switched over to guitar permanently for my band (I've been primarily a bassplayer but try to keep up on my guitar playing). Last week (a few days after I made this decision) I bought a Mexican Fender Strat at a pawn shop for $100! Good condition, works good, etc. I'm happy, the only problem is that my band is primarily metal (not heavily de-tuned though, just drop D). I don't mind playing the Strat (its a great guitar, it was very cheap and is uncommon at most metal shows I play at) but what do you guys think I can do to improve its sound?

I've seen single coil shaped humbuckers. Do you guys recommend this? If so, at which position, neck, middle, or bridge pickup? I'm guessing bridge, I just wanna know for sure. I doubt I'd be able to buy three humbuckers, maybe I'll do one of those and two normal single coils, which are generally cheaper. Also, what bridge should I buy to upgrade?

Suggestions?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
For a better tone, why not buy a HSS pickguard and put something like a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon or SH-8 Invader in the bridge? That would give you a better metal tone than a single coil sized bucker, imo.

If you want to go for a good single coil size bucker though, get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. But for the tone you're after, switching your strat to HSS would probably be better.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Nov 15, 2008,
I heard the single coil sized humbuckers are pretty good. If you get that get it for the bridge position.
I dont know much about them so I cant really recommend anything specific...
?!
Well, if it's Mex, it's probably routed HSH, so get a nice Humbucker in the bridge, maybe a Seymour Duncan, and an HSS pickguard, problem solved
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I'd go for a DiMarzio Chopper($70) in the neck, a DiMarzio Evolution($50) in the mid and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails($75) in the bridge. As for the bridge, frankly I think the strat's bridge is fine as-is, but if your playing metal you may want to try a floyd rose. an OFR will cost you about $100 on eBay, and installation and routing is anywhere from $70 to $250.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Hm Duncan Disto in the bridge, little '59 in the neck, Super Vee. it costs about $440 but it's worth it IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dimarzio Tone Zone S in the bridge?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

Suggestions?

another vote for the humbucker in the bridge position... I have a SD Hot Rails in one of my strats and I can't complain at all
out of here
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!

I think I'll keep the bridge, I don't use the tremolo enough to justify getting a floyd. I'll look up these pickups, they all sound good...

BTW the guitar is routed single, single, single. So i'd have to route out the space for a full humbucker if i wanted one...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!

I think I'll keep the bridge, I don't use the tremolo enough to justify getting a floyd. I'll look up these pickups, they all sound good...

BTW the guitar is routed single, single, single. So i'd have to route out the space for a full humbucker if i wanted one...

In that case, Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge would be my suggestion

Yeah, Hot rails. I'm still gonna suggest a new block for the trem; GFS sells a decent one for about $20. Steel>Zinc tonewise, it's just that zinc is cheaper.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Looks like the Hot Rails is the winner...sounds good.

thanks again!

EDIT: ^GFS?
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
Looks like the Hot Rails is the winner...sounds good.

thanks again!

EDIT: ^GFS?

any man with a Hicks quote in his sig deserves only the best advice
out of here

^Gotta love Bill.
GFS=Guitarfetish.com
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by irishstang_87
For a better tone, why not buy a HSS pickguard and put something like a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon or SH-8 Invader in the bridge? That would give you a better metal tone than a single coil sized bucker, imo.

If you want to go for a good single coil size bucker though, get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. But for the tone you're after, switching your strat to HSS would probably be better.

thats what i woudl have said, HSS pickguard and an SD invader
Can't you get a JB Junior or am i mistaken.

I'm sure that would do the job.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!